Default Program Issue HELP PLEASE

onoj96

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
okay so i was fiddling around with my new windows 7 PC that i recently built and accidentally set the default program for everything as chrome or something else (its changed a few times now) and so now EVERY program, including the system tools to fix the issue, can not locate the relevant .exe files in order to run, meaning i cannot use system recovery to fix the issue.

how do i fix this?!

Solution
Insert your install disc and change BIOS to boot from CD/DVD drive. When the install screen comes up you can try doing a repair install or go with a full install. The full install will wipe out everything on your HDD while the repair install will just try to fix bad files.

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Chrome is a program for getting on the web. How did any of their settings affect every file on your PC? If it is a home built unit and all else fails, either do a repair install with the cd or do a fresh install.

onoj96

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014

its not within the chrome settings, its in the computer settings where you choose default programs for different applications.
how do i do a repair from a disk?

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Insert your install disc and change BIOS to boot from CD/DVD drive. When the install screen comes up you can try doing a repair install or go with a full install. The full install will wipe out everything on your HDD while the repair install will just try to fix bad files.

Solution