Question define c vs. define mini c

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Is there really even a point in getting the mini c, when the width and depth are the same between these cases and the mini c is only about 1 pound lighter?

I have an atx mobo I bought a while back and haven't opened. I have a itx one I bought recently and can return if I don't need the mini...

One bad thing about both is that they only have 3.x usb ports, not 3.1. Of course my mobo would have 3.1 ones.

So really it seems to make most sense to me to get the actual define c or the r6 and just return the itx mobo… even though I hate to since I got it for under $100, which was a great price for an x470 itx mobo.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
As I said in the post, I have an atx AND an itx one because I originally bought the atx, thend ecided I wanetd a smaller case, so bought the itx. I can still return the itx or I can keep it and then would have to sell my atx. Also, I don't think there even is a matx x470 even made.

So the bottom line is I can use either, but if I use the mini I am limited to my itx, thus less RAM max and would have to sell my other mobo, whereas easiest is to jsutr eturn the itx.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I'm so stressed over this. I had originally got a p400 case, haven't opened it, want something quieter.

I would RATHER have an internal optical drive. The r6 case woud give me that plus an extra pre-installed fan.

But if I instead get a define c or c mini and sue my existing external usb 3 optical drive, I would save about $150. So it's whether or not I want to spend $150 for an extra fan and internal drive.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well unless you have equipment that has a definite need for usb 3.1, then there's no issue. Most stuff runs the same on 3.0 as it does 3.1 and many cheaper things run just fine on 2.0 as they don't use the bandwidth capacity of even 3.0.

Max ram doesn't mean much unless you have a need for it. 16Gb is normal oversize for almost any gamer, 32Gb is way more than enough for just about anyone, very few have any use for 64Gb and only a select few have any use for 128Gb. So unless you aim to be in a very select group, you won't be using even half of what an mITX is capable of. Basically max ram is a moot point.

Biggest difference between the define C and mini C (apart from the ATX mobo usage) is AIO's fitment. The taller C can mount a 360mm up front, the mini can't, it's restricted to 280mm. The R5/6 can mount a 360mm front/top. Any of the fractals has only 2 included fans, except the R6, and it's not worth $150 extra for a $20 fan.

Realistically its biggish, bigger, biggest versions of the same case.

I've got an R5 Window, great case, easy to work with, and tons of absolutely unused space. Took out the drive bays to mount a front 280mm aio, took that out to put in a cryorig R1 Ultimate and now have nothing but space between the deck and the optical bays, even an ATX mobo and massive heatsink are all the way towards the back.

Next build will be mITX, that R5 is as tall as some full towers.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Well unless you have equipment that has a definite need for usb 3.1, then there's no issue. Most stuff runs the same on 3.0 as it does 3.1 and many cheaper things run just fine on 2.0 as they don't use the bandwidth capacity of even 3.0.

Max ram doesn't mean much unless you have a need for it. 16Gb is normal oversize for almost any gamer, 32Gb is way more than enough for just about anyone, very few have any use for 64Gb and only a select few have any use for 128Gb. So unless you aim to be in a very select group, you won't be using even half of what an mITX is capable of. Basically max ram is a moot point.

Biggest difference between the define C and mini C (apart from the ATX mobo usage) is AIO's fitment. The taller C can mount a 360mm up front, the mini can't, it's restricted to 280mm. The R5/6 can mount a 360mm front/top. Any of the fractals has only 2 included fans, except the R6, and it's not worth $150 extra for a $20 fan.

Realistically its biggish, bigger, biggest versions of the same case.

I've got an R5 Window, great case, easy to work with, and tons of absolutely unused space. Took out the drive bays to mount a front 280mm aio, took that out to put in a cryorig R1 Ultimate and now have nothing but space between the deck and the optical bays, even an ATX mobo and massive heatsink are all the way towards the back.

Next build will be mITX, that R5 is as tall as some full towers.
Thanks for all of the info.

Yes, I got 32gb, but some sayI'd never need above 8gb or 16 max, but just in case I do any 4k editing, I figured I better get 32 to make it possibly faster (depending on program). And I don't THINK I'd need 64gb any time soon, but I plan to make this case last years and years. My current pc I have used for like 5 or 6 years and it was a low end one when bought.

I don't need to use a radiator at all, so none of that matters to me.

If I were to keep using my external BR writer, I noticed in the manual that it burns twice as fast on usb 3 as it does on usb 2. So that is one of the cases where usb 3 will make a big improvement. But would be nice if I could sue an internal one... My only choice would be r5/r6 if I want internal, though.

Only reason I was thinking of the regular define c is just wehre I wouldn't have to sell my regular atx mobo. My itx one can be returned still.

Any other ideas for a small, quiet, col enough case? It seems like only fractal design ones meet all of those and the node 804 has no sound proofing.

I badly 3wanted the nano S, but the people saying the gpu would be partially blocked by the psu scared me off of it.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Sigh. I am all over the place on this.

I had finally decided I'd keep the itx mobo and get the c mini, since my external usb 3.0 BR writer would be good enough, rather than getting an overly big r6 for an internal writer.

Well, then I read some complaints about the itx mobo… location of the lone m.2 slot, multiple people saying they had some wiring come loose for the wireless antennas, even when that was fixed the wireless performance was worse than a tablet's, etc...

So now I am leaning define C... I only have 1 day left to request a refund on the itx mobo. I didn't want such a tall case is the main problem. My current pc is 15 inches tall and I didn't want anything taller. The define c is around 18 inches tall. If I go that tall it tempts me right back to the r5/r6, but those are much deeper as well.

I hope I figure out how to update the BIOS when building, as I've never built before and my atx mobo was bought like half a year ago.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Any more thoughts? The dumb newegg site had the return link go away as the 30th day STARTED, but I assume they'd have to let me return it if I ask today, the 30th day.

Main concerns I have with itx mobo are:
  1. only 1 m.2 slot and it's at back of mobo.
  2. never can go above 32gb RAM and someone said if you ever fill all slots on a mobo for RAM it affects performance.
  3. people reporting wireless issues with that mobo.
  4. the define c is the EXACT same case as the mini c, other than 2 inches taller, apparently.

Either way I have to get rid of 1 mobo and choose my case accordingly.

I also have a phantecks p400 I need to sella nd shipping costs are prohibitive.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I initiated a return, just to be safe, but have a week to ship it, so I have a few more days to be sure. lol.

This has turned into one big headache. I am not convicned I made the right choice even getting the 2700x cpu, I can't decide on a case and motherboard, I bought parts a little at a time over years thus some parts cost less now than when I did the deals.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Hello? Main thing I am wondering if it's really THAT bad to use a Nano S with atx psu, where it blocks a fan on a gpu. I mean if it was THAT bad, wouldn't the case not have close to a 5/5 review average? Especially since I'd rarely push the gpu, since I don't game on a pc.

That is the case I really wanted, but people scared me off of it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well the Nano S is a really small mITX box. Inherent in that is going to be lack of space. That's a given fact about those tiny box builds so not even pro reviewers say much about it one way or the other. The case is a 5/5 if you take into consideration that you'll be using an mITX to build in. It's not like my R5 which has half a case worth of empty space between the mobo and the front intakes.

As far as the gpu goes, there's only 2x expansion slots and they sit right above the psu. It's mITX. So yes, there's going to be limited space there, mITX isn't designed around uber powerful 3 slot gpus with huge heatsinks and fan shrouds. A standard 2 slot gpu won't have issues unless it's got an ungodly huge shroud that sticks way above the lower slot. It's mITX but designed where the intake has plenty of airflow directly to the psu/gpu area, so airflow isn't an issue with a more normal gpu.

With mITX, you build into the case what fits, with mATX or ATX, there's space enough that you build around the components which usually don't have many size restrictions.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Well the Nano S is a really small mITX box. Inherent in that is going to be lack of space. That's a given fact about those tiny box builds so not even pro reviewers say much about it one way or the other. The case is a 5/5 if you take into consideration that you'll be using an mITX to build in. It's not like my R5 which has half a case worth of empty space between the mobo and the front intakes.

As far as the gpu goes, there's only 2x expansion slots and they sit right above the psu. It's mITX. So yes, there's going to be limited space there, mITX isn't designed around uber powerful 3 slot gpus with huge heatsinks and fan shrouds. A standard 2 slot gpu won't have issues unless it's got an ungodly huge shroud that sticks way above the lower slot. It's mITX but designed where the intake has plenty of airflow directly to the psu/gpu area, so airflow isn't an issue with a more normal gpu.

With mITX, you build into the case what fits, with mATX or ATX, there's space enough that you build around the components which usually don't have many size restrictions.
I had set up my build on pcpartpicker and it said there were no issues. But many say if your gpu isn't "a blower", it would be a problem, so I am not sure what to do. I have a 1070 ti, but it's a 2 fan one.

I really feel like I should forget the mini c... because like I said it is exactly the same as a define c, except 2 inches shorter, so that means I'd limit myself to all of the restrictions on my itx board, whereas the define c would use a regular atx mobo.

So I think the ONLY case that would make sense if I amd etermined to use the itx is the Nano S. If it would not be good, due to the gpu and psu situation, I've about got to go through with my return of the itx mobo.

Also, like I mentioned, the other issue is my itx mobo has only 1 m.2 slot and it's on the back of the mobo, according to reviews. (I'm too clueless to know what's the front or back from pics lol).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Put m.2 in slot on back of mobo, put mobo in the case. It doesn't require wires or anything else. Basically like plugging in a flash drive. It's not an issue.

You can use mITX in mATX or ATX cases no worries.

Do you already have a psu?
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS SGX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($117.45 @ Amazon)
Problem solved.

Tons of room. Just need the bracket to convert the ATX screw pattern to SFX

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Put m.2 in slot on back of mobo, put mobo in the case. It doesn't require wires or anything else. Basically like plugging in a flash drive. It's not an issue.

You can use mITX in mATX or ATX cases no worries.

Do you already have a psu?
yes, corsair rm550x, which is right around the max size for the Nano S. Also, the reason people complained about m.2 slot in back is they say it gets the ssd warmer because the back of the case is warmer. But my MAIN concern is still the gpu being blocked by psu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So ship the itx back. You have equipment for mATX/ATX cases, not an mITX. You'd need to replace most things just to get the requirements. Like either a blower gpu or a SFX psu. MITX takes building into, can't just throw in standard size parts, it's why they make special mITX size gpus etc.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
So ship the itx back. You have equipment for mATX/ATX cases, not an mITX. You'd need to replace most things just to get the requirements. Like either a blower gpu or a SFX psu. MITX takes building into, can't just throw in standard size parts, it's why they make special mITX size gpus etc.
The Nano S is meant for an atx psu. You actually have to mod the case to use an sfx one, so not sure how my parts would not be for an itx case. And you had said only a 3 fan gpu would have an issue, as well.

Also, the mini c is a matx case, which could still use the itx mobo. So it all comes down to whether I want to use nano s, mini c, or something bigger. if bigger, I can return this. I only have 2 days left to shop, I think, though.

Like I said, the pcpartpicker site shows no issues, but it doesn't take into account that the psu will block part of the gpu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh no, it's just a piece of metal. You screw it in like a regular psu, then the sfx bolts right to it. It's like making the vent side of the sfx larger to fit ATX holes. No modding involved

Which is what I meant by you don't have the equipment. If you had a blower fan gpu, no worries. If you needed a psu, get the sfx. But as is you have an axial gpu and full size ATX psu.

Like I said, with mITX, you basically start with the case, then get stuff to fit in it, with mATX/ATX you get the stuff then get a case.

The Phanteks Evolve mITX looks to have more space and the shroud is vented

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Oh no, it's just a piece of metal. You screw it in like a regular psu, then the sfx bolts right to it. It's like making the vent side of the sfx larger to fit ATX holes. No modding involved

Which is what I meant by you don't have the equipment. If you had a blower fan gpu, no worries. If you needed a psu, get the sfx. But as is you have an axial gpu and full size ATX psu.

Like I said, with mITX, you basically start with the case, then get stuff to fit in it, with mATX/ATX you get the stuff then get a case.

The Phanteks Evolve mITX looks to have more space and the shroud is vented
yeah, but the nano s is actually kind of big for a an itx case and parts were showing as compatible.

I'm specifically only looking into fractal design cses because other brands are either noisier or have other negatives. I already bought a phantecs p400 case and that is what I am not even opening, either, and selling it, because I decided I wanted something quieter than what that is said to be. Plus it has a side window and I prefer not to have one (also it is quieter when it doesn't have a side window). Sucks because I got a good deal, only paying $26 including all taxes for it. And can't really sell it because shipping costs so much, if someone got it and said it was defective, I'd be out a ton of shipping costs.

So I don't know... My options just come right back to the cases I mentioned nano s, mini c, define c, r5, r6. I would have considered the node 804, but no soundproofing. If you really think it would be a mistake to use the nano s, even without often pushing the gpu, then I might as well go through with the return of the itx mobo. A shame because I got it for a very good price, too.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
At this point, I think weight of the case is what is stressing me. The mini c and define c are really pushing it at around 16 pounds weight. Once parts are in them, that's getting heavyish for a "compact" case. Then the r5/r6 would be over 30 pounds with parts in! Not ideal hauling around a 30 pound pc, so I'd have to either have something else to sue in another room or else get the lighter case.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
well, I have to decide today whether to send the mobo back. haven't really been able to get opinions on it. seems the consensus is not to use the Nano S with my parts, but the mini c has no such problems with the parts... it's a matx case.

I doubt I'll get r5/r6, due to weight and crazy depth. So it comes back to the two models in the title. Would rather have mini c, but limiting myself to 32gb max (due to itx mobo) may be too much of a tradeoff just to shed 2 inches from the height of the case.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Well, I shipped that back, but now I am worried about keeping the other, after reading bad revierws for the asrocks. The one I have, in particular, apparently will have popping noises during audio, according to reviews. This is a nightmare, where I had all of my parts, and then decided I wasn't going tow ant the case, now I am scared to keep the mobo, my RAM is meant for intel, but I have an amd cpu, my ssd is 512gb when I should have gotten 1tb of a lower quality than 970 pro, the case wasn't going to be silent enough.... I can't just sell every part and waste my hundreds and hundreds I got in deals.

If b450 were good enough, maybe I should get asus or msi b450. Possibly a matx one.