MB: Asrock X370 Taichi
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3600MHz F4-3600C16D-16GVK
GPU: INNO3D GeForce GTX 1060 iChill
SSD: Samsung 250GB 850 EVO
HDDs: WD 1TB Blue
TOSHIBA X300 4TB 7200 rpm
PSU: Corsair PSU, 650W, RMx Series
CASE: Fractal Define S

I overclocked processor to 3.7GHz at 1.2475V with stock cooler and 2 stock fans that came with Define S case. Problem is that CPU temp is near 83C under full Prime95 stress test. Another problem is high HDD temperature, Toshiba sometimes reach 50C, others keep around 43C.

I plan to upgrade cooling now but keep in mind future proof setup which will include Ryzen 3900xt processor (maybe in 18 months)

Noctua NH-D15 cannot fit in my case because of RAM clearance, so I decided to go with Arctic Freezer II 280 AIO (it has great reviews and AMD recommends 280 AIO for 3800xt).
Another thing worth mentioning is that I often transport computer to another location by car so there may be a problem with heavy air cooler.

1. question: Can Arctic Freezer II 280 fit Define S case? Define S has maximum top radiator thickness of 55mm.
  2. question: Is it better to mount Arctic Freezer II 280 on top as exhaust or at front as intake?
  3. question: Let's say I mount it at front as intake and 2 case fans as top-rear exhaust, do I need more case fans (maybe one more Noctua AF-14 at front as intake)?
  4. question: Is Scythe Fuma 2 better choice than Arctic Freezer II 280?

Thank you for help!

Solution
1)That's not quite right. It's a clearance limit of 55mm for BOTH radiator and fans. It's on Fractal's webpage.
LF 2 280 is 38mm thick. The fans are 27mm. At least 10mm too much.

No, it won't fit.

2)Depends on the hardware inside, but the differences are typically minor.
Since you currently have a 1060, it's not going to matter much at all which way you do it; it's not very big on power consumption.
Throw something on the level of a 2080 Super in there, and I'd be inclined to say intake, but since the LF 2 280 won't fit at the top anyway...

Front intake.

3)No.

4)In your situation, it probably is.
A)Both coolers are designed to deal with lots more heat than what the little Ryzen 1600 - even with an overclock - can put out...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)That's not quite right. It's a clearance limit of 55mm for BOTH radiator and fans. It's on Fractal's webpage.

No, it won't fit.

Since you currently have a 1060, it's not going to matter much at all which way you do it; it's not very big on power consumption.
Throw something on the level of a 2080 Super in there, and I'd be inclined to say intake, but since the LF 2 280 won't fit at the top anyway...

Front intake.

3)No.

A)Both coolers are designed to deal with lots more heat than what the little Ryzen 1600 - even with an overclock - can put out, within reason. The limit here with all cpus is that blasted IHS. It reduces the effectiveness of all coolers.

B)The FUMA 2 is more affordable.

C)Both coolers will also change your fan setup.
With the LF 2, you'd have it mounted as front-pull-intake, and have a top and rear exhaust.

With the FUMA 2 though, you'd just need to have the 2 stock fans to front intake, really. This cooler is going to draw air from the front and the top, so any top mounted fans are likely to just 'get in it's way', so to speak.
You can do a rear fan with positive results, IF it is stronger than the fans on the FUMA 2, otherwise that's in the way too.

Ultimately up to you, but IMO, the FUMA 2 is the better option.

Solution
Sep 2, 2020

No, it won't fit.

Front intake.

3)No.

A)Both coolers are designed to deal with lots more heat than what the little Ryzen 1600 - even with an overclock - can put out, within reason. The limit here with all cpus is that blasted IHS. It reduces the effectiveness of all coolers.

B)The FUMA 2 is more affordable.

C)Both coolers will also change your fan setup.
With the LF 2, you'd have it mounted as front-pull-intake, and have a top and rear exhaust.

With the FUMA 2 though, you'd just need to have the 2 stock fans to front intake, really. This cooler is going to draw air from the front and the top, so any top mounted fans are likely to just 'get in it's way', so to speak.
You can do a rear fan with positive results, IF it is stronger than the fans on the FUMA 2, otherwise that's in the way too.

Ultimately up to you, but IMO, the FUMA 2 is the better option.

Thank you for such detailed and quick answer!!

One more question, I plan to upgrade to Ryzen 3900xt and maybe to better graphic card like 5700xt or new Nvidia 3000 series. Do you recommend Fuma 2 or LF 2 for Ryzen 3900xt? I also transport computer by car sometimes if that means anything.