Defrag problem

Al

I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 2000. It has a 6
gig hard drive that is partioned into 2 drives. The C
drive is set a 2 gigs and contians the system files. The
D drive is set at 4 gigs and contain the user files.

My problem is that the C drive has many fragmented files,
and when I try to run the defrag program the system tells
me I only have 8% free space and I need 15% free space for
the defrag program to run.

Is there any way that I can get the program to use part of
drive D for the swap area so that the defrag program will
run?

Nope. The defrag app uses the volume that is being defragged. You may be
able to clean up some space and then re-run it. You may also look at
decreasing the paging file temporarily. Finally, there are other defrag
apps out that allow for single file/single directory defragmentation that do
not have the space limitation.

Pat