Defragged HD-Now have multiple problems

JoyND73

Honorable
Dec 4, 2016
Defragged my hard drive and now have the following problems (Have Window 8.1)
Laptop battery not charging, get the "Plugged in not charging" message
(Laptop is running OK on AC power)

Many programs will not start, get the "Error performing inpage operation" & "This file does not have a program with it performing this action" messages

Windows app's won't run . . .
Checkdisk
Command prompt admin
Reg edit
Task manager

The installed & windows apps run in safe mode.

Have performed Check Disk in safe mode and came back OK.

Does anyone know how to remedy this/these problems?

TIA :)

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your laptop? An SKU would help us two fold. On another note, it's not advised to run any defragmenting tool. It only degrades the HDD. You should never run defragmenting tools on an SSD either, it just kills it. At this stage I'd ask you to backup all critical content and then reinstall the PS without doing defragmentation.

Sounds like your account got corrupted, not your OS. Try creating a new admin account, login to that, and see if the apps will run. This is why you're always advised to make a backup before defragmenting. While the chances of data corruption are slim, there is still a chance.

Which version of Windows? I believe Windows 8 and 10 have defragmentation automatically scheduled to run weekly by default if you have a HDD. So there's little to nothing to gain by running a defragment manually with those version of Windows. Also, if you ran a third party defragmenter, there are certain system files which should not be moved. Some third party defragmenters aren't careful about this and can break stuff.

A botched defragment can also be a symptom of a failing HDD. Chkdsk won't necessarily detect it as it just checks to make sure the checksums match the stored data. You need to run a surface scan to test for possible HDD failure. Flags in the HDD's SMART data can also be a hint. Try running CrystalDiskInfo and HD Tune on the drive. (Well, backup your important data first, then try running these.)

JoyND73

Honorable
Dec 4, 2016
Thanks for the reply Solandri
I created another a new admin account, though this did not resolve any of the issues.

I'm running Windows 8.1.

Any other suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS