[SOLVED] Deleted HDD partition - NEED HELP

overclocler14

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
I cannot even imagine I'd ever make a mistake this dumb. I wanted to reinstall Windows but i forgot to unplug my two HDD drives beforehand. I accidentaly deleted partition on one of them. After realising my mad move i connected the drive to a different computer and it shows as "incorrect" or something in the device manager. The option to make the drive online gives an error. There is also option "convert to primary" (the disk was dynamic for some unknown reason" but it warns about data loss. The disk wasn't even formatted, I just clicked "delete" on the partitioning screen of windows installer
I'm completely devastated, I had basically everything on this drive because it served as a backup. Is there any chance of data recovery at home or the only rescue is to send the drive to data recovery facility? I've seen someone mentioning testdisk so maybe not all hope is lost

Solution
Software recovery is pretty much your option at this point. Recuva is one, though there are other choices.

I'm a bit confused though. You say this drive served as your backup. Why don't you re-backup the originals? Or were the originals being wiped on the drive you were trying to install Windows to?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Software recovery is pretty much your option at this point. Recuva is one, though there are other choices.

I'm a bit confused though. You say this drive served as your backup. Why don't you re-backup the originals? Or were the originals being wiped on the drive you were trying to install Windows to?

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Turns out I was lucky, testdisk found all files and now I'm copying them to another drive. Lesson learnt. From now on I'll hava a backup of a backup disk

Generally speaking, that's a good idea. The 321 rule is a good rule of thumb; at least three copies of all important data, in at least two different mediums/locations, and at least one off-site.