Deleting folder without deleting its' contents

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescecorn

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
actually in step 5 i was trying to call out just a single dot.

but, in practice i discovered explorer will not search for the dot. but, no it was not inteded to be a *.* wildcard search, though that would work fine, leaving the field completely blank will yield the desired results.

sorry for the confusion. i will edit the post for clarity.

maddmaxx666

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I also have the same issue, and it's because itunes was set to structure the files that way, if I wanted to have windoze index all me files I'll be able to search them, but until then it'll take a week for me to be able to see them in a format that I can select all copy/paste the files to a new directory, problem is the 3 computers I've used to do that have all frozen for hours when I finally manage to right click on the files... computer freezes, becomes non responsive for hours one system is an AMD Athlon II X245 2.9G w/ 4GB RAM the other is an Athlon 64 w/ 3GB RAM, tried both systems doing the same ultimate task, in ubuntu 9.04, windoze xp, windoze 7 free trial from microsoft technet... we're talking 600 GB of data, just too much for the os to handle, lots of room for the pagefile, RAM fill is 50 - 60%....

Therefore, could someone be so kind as to lead one of us in the right direction here? I want to be able to copy all of the files (*.mp3), nothing else, over to a separate folder, call it Mp3 for now, and then set itunes loose on it again. Provided there are no errors in transfer, once itunes is complete, I want to delete all of that old structure.

Thank you for your time!

jakesir

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
ok, i have the similar question.

Folder A/Folder B/Folder C/file A,B,C,D...
Folder A/Folder B/file a,b,c,d...
Folder A/Folder D/file 1,2,3,4...
Folder A/Folder E/Folder F/Folder G/Folder K/file 00,01,02,03,04...

How do you merge all files(ABCD's, abcd's, 1234's, 00....) in to Folder A and get rid of Folder B,D,E,F,F...?

Now, these files have different extension so searching is impossible.
I can do them manually, but it'll take forever. Let's say 1000 folders.

G

"your question makes no sense...." blah blah blah. god i hate people like you. have you always been an unhelpful d*ckhead? somebody asks a perfectly viable question and theres always somebody that behaves like a tw*t. you must be stupid then as i and most other people reading that fully understood it. just because you were bullied at school and had/ have no (real) friends, doesnt give you cause to be a w*nker with people. makes my blood boil. i found this question because i typed in the exact same thing on google. hello to everyone else!

"your question makes no sense...." blah blah blah. god i hate people like you. have you always been an unhelpful d*ckhead? somebody asks a perfectly viable question and theres always somebody that behaves like a tw*t. you must be stupid then as i and most other people reading that fully understood it. just because you were bullied at school and had/ have no (real) friends, doesnt give you cause to be a w*nker with people. makes my blood boil. i found this question because i typed in the exact same thing on google. hello to everyone else!

I don't know if I should condemn you for your stupidity or marvel at your ability to form words.

w*anker? :lol: Wanker...wanker...wanker...wanker.

G

the problem i am having with doing this is that for some reason some of the file names are unable to be moved/written in the new directory. Is there a program of some sort or anything else that may be able to perform this action?

G

How about this one,surely it can be done? I have a 8gb usb with one folder in the root with 6gb of contents,now I want the 6gb contents in the root of the usb without the original folder........(yes a option of "delete folder but not contents" would be great) of course usually you would open the folder and copy all contents/or drag to the root then delete the original folder with contents leaving the root with just the files,but in this circumstance there wouldn't be enough memory,so I'd have to just have to wipe the usb and copy the files from the pc without the folder. Little inconvenience maybe.....but when copying between 4and 7gb were talking about an extra 30 mins of wasted time,which could simply be avoided with a delete folder but not contents option.

broxibear

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
easy way to do this is by:

1) click start, run, type cmd and press ctrl+shift+enter ( to open with admin rights)
2)type the word *move* then the full directory of where the your files are located then space then where you want them to go, ie *move c:\windows\temp c:\temp*

Hope that helps.

see this
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulkrenameutility.co.uk%2F&ei=ThL6Td6zGce_gQfovc2SBQ&usg=AFQjCNFLmOPhUTlVXExYoro5EWZ24LhabA

as for the rest of this topic, holy mother of god. I am impressed at the stupidity. If you don't understand how folders/computer works, maybe you should learn it, instead of calling people stupid...

oh and one more thing, STOP USING ITUNES

Mar 11, 2012
try to arrange the folders by song, if your using windows seven (or any other ones with this similar option)
in the upper right hand corner under the little search bar, try to click on the "arange by" and then click on "songs"
then you will see alll your music withough the folders, so then you can copy and paste in one shot :D
i hope this helped, and if not, i apologize for that :/

ColonelSanders

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Well its not the easiest thing to do basically what you need to do is;
copy the files you want to get the songs out of to a new folder
Search the folder for the type of file you want to separate ie music. Grouping by file type may help with this
Select all the files using shift or ctrl+a
paste them into the folder you need the files in ie My Music
Delete the folder you made and all the folders are gone and you are left with just the music files (shift delete to permanently delete it)

I do this with movie files downloaded with Torrents to get rid of the folders and the crap that comes with them instead of individually moving the movies out of the file.

Regards
The Colonel

Status
Not open for further replies.