Question Deleting Windows On Old HDD After Clean Install On SSD

Mar 24, 2019
Is it possible for me to just delete the windows files on my old HDD and keep all the files or do I need to do a format of my old HDD?

Lutfij

Titan
If you have nothing to worry about data on the OS installation drive on your HDD, then yes, you can format the drive on the HDD while you try to install the OS afresh. I'd suggest you back up all critical data on a removable storage device from your OS drive just in case.

even if you delete all the windows files it will still have leftover partitions from the windows install which means you will still not reclaim all accessible storage from it and you may have difficulty trying to find out which ones to delete.

it is recommended to backup any important data off the drive and format it via disk manager

It depends on whether you had the HDD offline when you installed to the SSD. Windows 10 uses 3 partitions when you install, so if more than one drive is available at the time, your boot files could be on the HDD even if the rest of Windows is on the SSD. Why MS did it that way defies my understanding, but that's the way they do it for some reason.

It depends on whether you had the HDD offline when you installed to the SSD. Windows 10 uses 3 partitions when you install, so if more than one drive is available at the time, your boot files could be on the HDD even if the rest of Windows is on the SSD. Why MS did it that way defies my understanding, but that's the way they do it for some reason.

if the OP has an old windows install on it the HDD then it will have partitions from the old install not the new one

USAFRet

Titan
if the OP has an old windows install on it the HDD then it will have partitions from the old install not the new one
If the OS on the new drive was installed with both drives connected, it may well have both boot options, on the old drive.

The best way forward is to first verify.

Power OFF
Disconnect the old drive.
Power UP.
Does it boot correctly?
If so, then you can wipe the old drive of ALL partitions, and start with a blank drive. Obviously, you save off any personal data you want from that old drive first.

Mar 24, 2019
If the OS on the new drive was installed with both drives connected, it may well have both boot options, on the old drive.

The best way forward is to first verify.

Power OFF
Disconnect the old drive.
Power UP.
Does it boot correctly?
If so, then you can wipe the old drive of ALL partitions, and start with a blank drive. Obviously, you save off any personal data you want from that old drive first.
Yet to install it, just thinking ahead.
I plan on only having the SSD connected when clean installing.

Mar 24, 2019
Then, you are good.
When done, you can reformat the old drive so long as there is nothing of value on it.
I might wait a bit to do so just in case you forgot something.
So can I have my old drive in with all the programs and then install the same programs on my new drive before I format the old?

After installing on the SSD, you can hook the HDD back up and do it however you wish. However understand that you can't just copy the applications from the HDD to the SSD, they have to be reinstalled. The data can be copied, just not the applications.

Mar 24, 2019
After installing on the SSD, you can hook the HDD back up and do it however you wish. However understand that you can't just copy the applications from the HDD to the SSD, they have to be reinstalled. The data can be copied, just not the applications.
Yh i'm gunna reinstall all the programs and just drag across files in downloads etc.

USAFRet

Titan
First, install a new Steam client with your new OS.
Then, to move your Steam games, first locate the SteamApps folder.
Copy/paste that to the same location under the new Steam client.
It should recognize those games, without a full reinstall.

For your actual OS install, read here:

TRENDING THREADS