Delid 7700k IHS off center

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
I just did my first Delid. I’m using the method where you let the clamp pressure hold down the IHS.

My IHS is slightly off center to the left. Before I try booting for the first time should I just start over or is this fine?

Solution
It's fine. If it's not your temps won't be ok, so you'll know right away. That is what I don't like about that method, the IHS will always tend to move a bit when clamping it down in the motherboard. It really is best I think to use one of the jigs.
It's fine. If it's not your temps won't be ok, so you'll know right away. That is what I don't like about that method, the IHS will always tend to move a bit when clamping it down in the motherboard. It really is best I think to use one of the jigs.

Solution

I understand, I bought a delid kit when I did my 7700k, and after my experience, I really don't think I would recommend or delid again. Even though I did get good temperature drop. So I bought a tool I'm going to use once.

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
That’s exactly how I feel. Just booted. AIDA 64 gets my average temps to only 61c now. 4.8ghz @ 1.25v. Compared to high 80’s/90 before. Idle temp is about 35c. Sound about right?

5ghz @ 1.35v 70c average. This is all with a Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi. This is ridiculous. How well could they have made it from the factory with barely any added cost.

Here's are my temps:

delid7700k3.jpg

I went over my notes, and doesn't look like I kept any temps for the Conductnaut, which is what I'm running now, and have had the best results with (or perhaps just applied best). With the Coolabortory Liquid Ultra @ 4.9 @ 1.35 volts I was at 74 c for three runs of Cinebench, and that's with my NH-D15. After delidding I was able to get 5.0 GHz stable, which I could not get before delidding. It would boot at 5.1, but I can't run any benchmarks at 5.1, with any settings I've tried.

So my temps improved, but I immediately noticed what appears to be corrosion, or some sort of change to my die. So I started with with the Coolabortory's Liquid Ultra. Then after some reading decided to change to Conductnaut, ordered, waited for it to arrive, then swapped it out. So roughly a week, week and half? I had the liquid ultra on my 7700k.

Picture of my CPU cleaned just before the application of the liquid ultra:

delid7700k1.jpg

Less than a couple weeks later you can see the marks on it. These looks like corrosion in person, it was really weird. As you can see in my table above, it did not seem to affect temperatures. However, it clearly is doing something to the die in a rather short time frame.

delid7700k2.jpg

I'm now four months in to this delid, and no change in temperatures, so I have not worried about it. However between that, now the chip needing maintenance every so often, not really gaining any performance to speak of (100 mhz), and a possibly shorten lifespan, I just don't see the reason to delid. I had temperatures that were acceptable before.

TRENDING THREADS