Dell 2400 unusual noises

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have a Dell 2400, purchased in Sept. 2003. The past 24 hours, I've
noticed a moderately loud grinding sound emanating from inside the CPU. It
usually happens after the computer has restarted, or after inserting a
CD-ROM or floppy diskette. After about 30-40 seconds the sound goes away.
Everything with the PC still works fine, but this noise is new. Any ideas
what might be happening? I just opened up the computer a few days ago to
clean out dust.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

History Fan wrote:
> I have a Dell 2400, purchased in Sept. 2003. The past 24 hours,
> I've noticed a moderately loud grinding sound emanating from inside
> the CPU. It usually happens after the computer has restarted, or
> after inserting a CD-ROM or floppy diskette. After about 30-40
> seconds the sound goes away. Everything with the PC still works fine,
> but this noise is new. Any ideas what might be happening? I just
> opened up the computer a few days ago to clean out dust.

Check for a cable against a fan.

Q
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I opened up the PC after my last post and made sure some of the cables
and wires were firmly plugged in. So far, I haven't heard that noise again.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

History Fan wrote:
> I opened up the PC after my last post and made sure some of the
> cables and wires were firmly plugged in. So far, I haven't heard
> that noise again.

Although your rotating devices might not vibrate much, they can set up
sympathetic vibrations on other parts of the computer, especially if the
other parts are free to vibrate. A resonant vibration can be set up
that will become very noisy - often with loose sheet metal parts or
cables lightly resting on the sheet metal side of the case.

Q
 

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
261
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

RU sure its coming from inside the CPU???? never heard of that let alone
anyone able to hear inside a CPU whats possibly happening is that you have
the cable hitting the blades of the fan check the routing of all cables you
might have disturbed one when you "clean out dust".
"History Fan" <IREALLYhateSPAM@IreallyHATEspam.COM> wrote in message
news:UQQGd.138$jg6.81@fe37.usenetserver.com...
> I have a Dell 2400, purchased in Sept. 2003. The past 24 hours, I've
> noticed a moderately loud grinding sound emanating from inside the CPU.
> It usually happens after the computer has restarted, or after inserting a
> CD-ROM or floppy diskette. After about 30-40 seconds the sound goes away.
> Everything with the PC still works fine, but this noise is new. Any ideas
> what might be happening? I just opened up the computer a few days ago to
> clean out dust.
>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:41ebdba8$1_4@alt.athenanews.com...
> RU sure its coming from inside the CPU???? never heard of that let alone
> anyone able to hear inside a CPU whats possibly happening is that you have
> the cable hitting the blades of the fan check the routing of all cables
> you might have disturbed one when you "clean out dust".



Given the OP's clues, it may be the sound of the optical drive spinning up
(perhaps going bad), or extensive hard disk activity due to same.


Stew
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I would go for the floppy drive,
My 2400 floopy started to make noises, grinding noises, It eventually caused
a booting problem.
(Current drain On the power supply)
After disabling it everything is quite again . and booting is back to
normal.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS