Dell Adamo XPS's Latch is Heat Sensitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
This heat sensitive opening sounds like a bad idea. Is it merely based on heat? Because it's pretty hot in Florida and I certainly wouldn't want that to open up while it's in my backpack.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Well, it's like owning an Atache' case. Much like oh no said, it's a symbol of status. Ultra-portable notebooks big market seems to mostly be the wealthy.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Will the latch work mechanically too? What happens if you go to use it with cold fingers after being outside? What if the automatic system fails when you are trying to open it in front of a business client? You won't come across as a reliable professional if you can't figure out how to open your computer.

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]Will the latch work mechanically too? What happens if you go to use it with cold fingers after being outside? What if the automatic system fails when you are trying to open it in front of a business client? You won't come across as a reliable professional if you can't figure out how to open your computer.[/citation]

That is what I was also thinking.

I would be afraid to use this laptop because the hinge will be a weak part in the laptop

stumpystumped

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Specs on these type of laptops are not important, it just there for the looks, the person using it probably can't do much with computer other than surf the web and look at photos.

G

Hopefully it gets past a design idea!
Besides, what does that thing have for a battery?
An EeePc battery is bigger than the center!

G

I would think more of a trackpad sensing swipe? Makes more sense... (capacitive?)

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Hopefully it gets past a design idea!Besides, what does that thing have for a battery?An EeePc battery is bigger than the center![/citation]

It'll most likely use lithium polymer battery packs like what you find in cell phones. More expensive that lithium ion, but they can be any size you want. They also have a higher capacity by volume--that's how Apple gets fantastic battery life out of the newest Macbooks, and that's part of why those computers are so damn expensive.

Here's hoping Dell is smart and makes it user-replaceable.

G

If they can drive Apple out of business, I'm all for it.

Competition = Good
Apple = Bad
The need for competition != We need apple

*(!= means "not equal" in many programming languages)

Carson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
You guys who are worried the thing won't open are missing the point. You can stack 4 or 5 of these anorexics together, and you're still thin. ONE of them is bound to open right.

For travel, nobody would want a thin notebook. No matter what it was made of, it would bend. Sooner or later, it would happen. The better computer to travel with is simply smaller, and more stout, like the Eee group that fit sideways into a day-pack (not even giving a thief a guess).

Of course, owners of the superthins will likely carry them in nice fat cases, maybe even bulkier cases just to protect their skin-and-bones computers inside. And a like-TOHtally-thin computer won't look chic with a thin woman; sleek ladies look best with funky-chunky purses and bags for peripheral adornments. Clearly these new thinsters are for spy work--you can slide one under the door and walk away, pulling your hat down and your trenchcoat collar up, and no one will be the wiser.

Er--you know, of course, that these are NTFS-only. What, you really thought you could use them with FAT32?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
is that heat sensitive latch an option? i don't want it. i want a lid that stays shut if i shut it close - to protect the screen. why would i buy a notebook bag with those protective velcro straps to ensure the notebook stays shut and tightly fasten?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
thin generally means easy to break especially when a company uses thinner plastic to bet the laptop that extra 1-2 mm thinner.

Battery life can also be a problem as you cant get a large battery in it, which means you either wind up with crappy battery life or extremely low performance while all costing a ton of money

I believe it is just a shot at apple showing them that making a super thin laptop is nothing special and that they can easily be 1up'ed

Status
Not open for further replies.