Dell Alienware M18X R2 With Ivy Bridge Specs Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
*Drools*
If I had the money, I'd buy something like this. It would save carrying my desktop to every damn LAN party and allow me to go to others, since some LAN's I don't have a ride to.

I mean sure it's fun to show off your work (by work, I mean what you put together) but for convenience sake I think I could make a compromise (in performance too).

synd

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]*Drools*If I had the money, I'd buy something like this. It would save carrying my desktop to every damn LAN party and allow me to go to others, since some LAN's I don't have a ride to.I mean sure it's fun to show off your work (by work, I mean what you put together) but for convenience sake I think I could make a compromise (in performance too).[/citation]
For the money you would spend on this Alienware laptop, you could buy 2 better than this one and be a total baller everywhere you go with 2 laptops.

Not only is it the price of the alienware machines that bothers me, its that god awful design. It looks like they are catering to a teenager who is building desktops with as many lighted fans and lights in their desktop as possible.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]*Drools*If I had the money, I'd buy something like this. It would save carrying my desktop to every damn LAN party and allow me to go to others, since some LAN's I don't have a ride to.I mean sure it's fun to show off your work (by work, I mean what you put together) but for convenience sake I think I could make a compromise (in performance too).[/citation]
Mini-ITX system anyone?

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I really hope that Alienware makes a Trinity APU laptop with their M14X, and M11X systems.

Combine the APU with a decent Radeon card, and you have a monster gaming machine in a very portable package and excellent battery life.

I never understood the need for these monstrous laptops that weigh 20 pounds or more (not including massive power supplies). Just make a damn desktop machine. Both would be just as portable.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Call me old fashioned, but I really dislike all the club lighting on computers. Just illuminate the keyboard for me with a soft color and be done with it.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Nice, but I still don't understand why you would buy a 18.4" laptop that weights more than 5kg and runs out of battery in 3hours.

Do you really need all those graphics details on a 18.4" display?

G

Just like Apple, half of money for actual hardware and other half of money for company's logo.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Lots of haters in here. The main bad thing of the m18x is its size. It is just to big and unwieldy for anything remotely mobile. Also for their largest model those specs are pretty tame. Why not an QXM chip that is not locked or memory beyond 8GB, or a screen resolution higher than 1920x1080, or a graphics chip faster than a 675M? The m17x and m18x's have always had the fastest mobile chips like the 580m. Why not wait until their is a release of the 680m replacement to the 580m. So you are getting all the size without any of the usual benefits, just cause it has an Ivy..., whatever.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
My buddy had an R1. The thing was fast, powerful, and had a gorgeous 1920x1200 screen. But it had MAJOR driver problems. Known bugs in the audio firmware. Alienware replaced his laptop 5 times, but ultimately, the firmware bug was an underlying part of the R1's firmware. This guy paid 2000 for this laptop, plus extra for an extended warranty, and for some reason, others with this problem were compensated with a replacement to the much more stable R2, while he was left with a bunch of R1 refurbished parts. They finally, after screaming for weeks with their support, got them to up him to an R2. The processor was much better, but TBH, the graphics card they sent him wasn't a whole lot different in terms of practical power (going from some NVIDIA mobile SLI setup to a single mobile AMD 6870ish card). And of course, 16:10 displays had been discontinued... Ultimately, I am not sure his experience was worth it. He loves his laptop, after almost a year of technical problems that, due to the complexity of mobile setups, and a fundamental lack of support from Dell. I wouldn't recommend any alienware laptop without extensive research into compatibility with the programs you choose to run. And even then, we have found that in many cases, getting an el-cheapo Llano based system produced adequate results, with more driver support, for a quarter of the cost...
These are just too much of an unfinished headache to be able to recommend. Even with a practically unlimited budget.

G

Maybe some of the computer cabinet makers should start building custom laptop cases for the gamers!
Just make a case, designed for the LCD, Motherboard., etc, for a custom game build in a standardized laptop case form factor. Let the gamers build their machines! More Fun for all!

rahulkadukar

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I have a M18X R1 with dual 6990m's,16GB RAM and a i7 2860QM. It is insanely fast and if you know the right people you can get huge discounts (Got mine for 2000). I know it is expensive and I could have got a similar desktop for around half the price. But it is portable and future proof at that resolution for around at least 2 years so I think it was a good bargain.

The R2 on the other hand does not look like something revolutionary, more a moderate upgrade. They should have waited for the 7990m or the 680m/685m

rsgeiger

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I have to balance out the hate on this board; Tom's karma would be in danger! :)

Being serious now, I am an Alienware m17xR2 owner, and I have owned a total of 3 Alienware laptops. I would not go back to them if I didnt think they were worth it.

Point 1: My life demands a workstation class laptop. I travel 5 days a week as a consultant. I have 1 to 2 VMs always running, I game alot, and I need a large screen for development purposes, plus I love large keyboards. Therefore, there is a VALID, HEALTHY customer base for these kinds of laptops. Because they dont fit everyone's lives does not mean they can offer great value for the money.

Point 2: This is subjective but I have found Alienware laptops built with much better quality than Cleavo substiutes (or any laptop for that matter)! The keyboards are worlds better than the competition (and white IS an option for keyboard color) and they do look professional enough (especially the black models). Aluminum finish is strong and reliable, the screen qualitiy is worlds better than any "cheap" laptop, and the CPU/GPU selection is always the top of what is out there. There has never been a meeting I could not take it to and I work at a stuffy bank!

Point3: NO laptop has perfect driver support, NONE! My Alienware can use almost all suplier side drivers (AMD, Intel, nVidia, Broadcom, etc.) All are available and work well. Dell doesnt need to index every latest driver.

Point4: For a gaming laptop, they are NOT over priced. This is especially true after being bought by Dell, being available for all the dell discounts and coupons that come their way. I got mine for 25% off the listed internet price, new and custom made.

I understand that people have had rotten times dealing with Dell support, lemons, and all sort of nasty to deal with. I feel that happens with any company or product long term. I have a "disgruntled" relationship with ACER and HP, but I can understand why they could be prefered. Honestly, I'm not defending dell in the slightest; we need good customer support. But please inform me then how other companies are better and still offer a competing product.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Nice, but I still don't understand why you would buy a 18.4" laptop that weights more than 5kg and runs out of battery in 3hours. Do you really need all those graphics details on a 18.4" display?

For business travelers like me, I need a computer that travels but will mostly sit on my hotel desk plugged in to the wall. So heavy chassis and low battery life is not a problem in a laptop.

I have a Dell Precision M6600 and LOVE the look of it. I wish I could get the alienware guts in the M6600 chassis. Why can't the consumer unit take a page from the business unit? Why do I have to have an AMD FirePro in the Precision instead of a Radeon?

george21546

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I got to laugh a laptop that uses 240 watts. I guess I can get 8 hours if I connect it to my Prius battery. You will be better off with desktop components in a custom backpack type case like the Army uses using a fuel cell for power

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
[citation][nom]george21546[/nom]I got to laugh a laptop that uses 240 watts. I guess I can get 8 hours if I connect it to my Prius battery. You will be better off with desktop components in a custom backpack type case like the Army uses using a fuel cell for power[/citation]

You drive a Prius? The next thing you'll say is you own Apple products and go to Starbucks, lol.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]It's a little funny seeing all these hate comments about a computer brand they've never owned a product from before.[/citation]
One doesn't need to purchase the product to enjoy a jolly ol' laugh from reading the spec list and the associated price on any given Alienware computer.

G

I have a maxed out M18x AND a Razer Blade plus a M11x R2, does it mean I am super stupid and doesn't know how to custom build a computer for way less money? Wasting time hunting for part sucks when you need a computer in a hurry, plus moving a full desktop sucks when you are renting.

To jacobdrj, tell your buddy to get a nice DAC or USB based 7.1 headphone and skip the crappy on board sound that's full of noise.

G

I think the RAM specs listed have to be a mistake- the lowest current option on the m18x and m17x R3 is 4gb, 2 would be a significant drop. There aren't 680m/685m/7990m listed yet as those cards aren't out yet, but when they are I bet it will be updated... And people? if you don't want an Alienware, don't buy one. But don't hate on those who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.