Dell Axing Windows XP Shipments This Month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]...Don't pirate OSs people. A legal copy of your OS is worth it's weight in gold. Know this from first hand experience.[/citation]
Why spend close to 200 bucks for an OS when Linux is free and does everything I need to do?

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rmmil978[/nom]So Windows XP support will continue until the world ends. Fitting I suppose.[/citation]
Maybe pulling support from Windows XP is the cause of the end of the world.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Windows98 support ended in 2006, since then - pretty much ALL security software (Firewalls, AV) and other programs stopped supporting Win9x systems. Only some of todays printers may include Win98 drivers.

As of today, about 1~2% of Windows systems are Win9x.

[citation][nom]photog10[/nom]W7 was a quick reflex from MS because they lost so much money on Vista. They had to recoup their lost profits. Anyways hands down, XP is still the most used OS in the world use.[/citation]

MS made money with Vista... but they were getting neg-press and reviews from everyone. MS made even more money with Win7. My ThinkPad has a Pentium-DualCore (bottom in Core2) and 1GB of RAM. The unit came with XP-PRO as I hate Vista. Its been running Win7 for almost a year and only about 6~7 months ago I bothered to add another GB of RAM. It runs faster and better now than it ever did with XP.

Win7 isn't perfect... but I wouldn't go back to XP on my own PCs. I do use XP on some business systems. Works, etc. I don't have issues... sometimes I try to use them like a WIn7 system ;)

asus x48

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
You dont have to say good bye to windows xp. Just buy windows 7 64bit pro like i did or windows 7 64bit ult.right?

[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]Why spend close to 200 bucks for an OS when Linux is free and does everything I need to do?[/citation]
I am glad it does all you need it to do. Windows does all I need it to do. For my $100 it is worth every penny. If I did not have so much windows only software, I would for sure go Linux.

[citation][nom]dEAne[/nom]We still have old, on good running condition, machine with XP OS and we have no plans installing Windows 7.[/citation]
Same here. If i built it with XP, that is what it keeps until I overclock it to death(or what ever unforeseen end it has).

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
with a little push from microsoft and probably very low demand for XP, Dell is finally pulling the plug on XP, for the good of the consumers. XP may be good for older machines that can't handle Win7 requirements but new machines should be more than capable of handling Win7.

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
still an xp user, i don't have the cash to shell out for a retail win 7! plus my hardware isn't exactly new! so plox stfu about it being pirates and what not still on xp. retail win 7 go for around $400 here, so i believe it's the other way around!

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]My Top MS windows OS:1) XP2) 98 OSR2While looking pretty good so far.. hopefully Win 7 will end up finishing with as much love as XP and 98 OSR2 had. By the way, I agree that it is a good idea to upgrade the OS every several years (even in the business/cooperate setting)... as long as there is an OS which worth for the upgrade.[/citation]

You're mixing things up, dude.

There was a Win 95 OSR2 and a Win 98 SE, but there was no 98 OSR2.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]I still think it will be a looong time before XP will be completely dead. Microsoft only about a year ago(maybe two), stopped supporting Windows 98 completely, really.The fact of the matter is, corporations usually are a couple OSs behind the latest and greatest because it's not cost effective, and their current programs they are using might not work on the latest OS.I for one am still using XP to this day. It gets the job done and where I need to go and it runs like it is supposed to. I don't have the money to upgrade to Windows 7 right now, and took Vista off my laptop because it was eating about 30% of the performance of the laptop.Don't pirate OSs people. A legal copy of your OS is worth it's weight in gold. Know this from first hand experience.[/citation]

That was four years ago, actually. On a related note, Windows 2000 extended support ended in July.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]with a little push from microsoft and probably very low demand for XP, Dell is finally pulling the plug on XP, for the good of the consumers. XP may be good for older machines that can't handle Win7 requirements but new machines should be more than capable of handling Win7.[/citation]

I assure you, they are not doing it because of low demand. Many, many businesses still need XP for one reason or another: incompatible programs, IE6, etc. Now they'll just have to use XP mode for incompatible apps in the future, or configure CFI images for their machines (which most Dell large/enterprise business customers use anyway).

Our company had some incompatible PDF software until a couple of months ago (we try to cut things pretty close--we got rid of our last Windows 2000 Server in June), so our first "pure" Windows 7 machine came in this month. Before then we had purchased the Windows 7 COA/XP downgrade option. We've since gone back and upgraded those machines to Windows 7.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
We image all of our new systems with XP, so 7 will have a very brief stay on the hard drives :) 7 has a few critical flaws that prevents it from being deployed in large enviroments. Default user profiles being at the top of the list.

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Wow, I didn't know Microsoft could tell OEMs what it can and can't ship, software wise. Isn't that what got them into trouble in the 90's? I would think Microsoft's only legal course of action would be to stop selling Windows XP to the OEMs in the first place.[/citation]

As a general practice, most of the OEM's have an agreement with Microsoft to only offer the most current OS. The exception was made in this case because as we all know...how shall i say it??? Vista was not well recieved. lol

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I would go to W7 but I have not the money nor the computer for it. I'll upgrade with my new pc build. however, I'm wait to see what amd new cpu's will do :) oh, and I like both XP and W7 (their a about equal in terms for me)

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
All hail win7! NEVER had a problem with it. All my old (really old) games work, all the drivers are there for my old pc and new. Never had a blue screen. And it's fast, lightning fast compared to Vista.

strangway

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I'm a Mac user, but have Win XP and Win 7 for work. I'd never give up the Mac for Windows, but after years of MS-bashing, they finally made an OS I like. XP looks like dog meat next to 7, which is also easier for me to use.

My first machine was a laptop running MS-DOS on an 8 Mhz Intel 80C88 processor. My second laptop (and current primary machine) runs Win 7 in VMWare on Mac OS 10.6 on a 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. I've come back to MS on Intel on a laptop.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]photog10[/nom]I haven't met anyone who likes XP more then 7 yet... Pleased to meet you. I guess I'll be the first, although I highly doubt i'm the first. I tried W7RC and didn't like it one bit. Everything seems to be hidden. And it wasn't smoother than XP. Plus XP has support till 2014, so If I can hold off till W8 I's rather do that and jump there instead of going W7. I would like to get an SSD in the PC i'm not jumping to W7 because of that. QX9650 4GB 8500 KINGSTON hyperxevga 9800gx2evga 780iftwIMO W7 was a quick reflex from MS because they lost so much money on Vista. They had to recoup their lost profits. Anyways hands down, XP is still the most used OS in the world use. I'm hoping W8 delivers on 2 things. better utilization of SSD (no, W7 doesn't do this perfectly. Look at all the configurations one must do to get it working right. Also look in the mfr's forums of peoples complaints) and better startup times.[/citation]

Sorry man but you have to move on. XP was fantastic but it is almost 10 years old. Vista was crap, I think we all can agree on that and Win 7 was a reaction to that but Win 7 is a smooth OS. You might not like the menus changing but I think Win 7 runs alot better. The GUI on XP was getting tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.