Question Dell D830 upgrade?

Apr 13, 2019
I’m the original owner of this ancient laptop. Over the years there isn’t a component I haven’t replaced, added, or upgraded - except the CPU. It’s 11 years old, and I realize that’s 3 lifetimes in laptop years. However it still does most of what I need it to do and anything I’d be interested in replacing it with would be upwards of $1,500.

It has a T7500 CPU and I’m wondering if it’s possible to upgrade it to a T9500, and what would be involved aside from the physical swap itself?

I appreciate all replies.

Mike

Apr 13, 2019
My point was that when the time comes to replace this machine, it’ll be with one that has much more capability than “business.” If a $40 cpu upgrade is a feasible way to stretch this one for awhile to keep doing what I do with it, that would be my preferred route.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So it looks like that motherboard does have a socket meaning physically replacing the CPU is possible (some are soldiered, this one is not)

So your problems are

1. Make sure that the CPU is supported. You need to find out if the 830 was ever sold with that faster CPU, if not then it likely won't be supported by the BIOS

2. Actually getting your hands on one. Maybe eBay?

IMO it won't make enough of a difference to even be worth $40, but its your money.

Apr 13, 2019
Yeah that’s why I was asking here, I haven’t found anything at Dell and their out-of-warranty tech support was no help. My concern wasn’t availability, whether it would go in physically, or even the wisdom of spending $40, it was more what else might I have problems with. This machine seems to have cooling issues lately even though I’ve stripped it down for thorough cleaning, so I’m thinking it’s time for a thermal compound clean & replace - and if I’m going to do that, why not try a less ancient processor too.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Rogue Leader