[SOLVED] Dell Dimension 8300: Startech RAID card Install Gives Error Code 10

soundtrek

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Honestly, my next desktop will be a custom built Xeon Comet Lake or newer with ECC memory. Meanwhile, I’m trying to get a Dell Dimension 8300 with Intel 875p motherboard running Windows XP Pro SP1 to install this SATA controller card for JBOD use. https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pcisata4r1

The install was going well until Device Manager and Hardware Wizard gave Error Code 10.

Startech Support said the last hope is that the chipset may need updating so they suggested that I install this.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...d=y4njd&oscode=ww1&productcode=dimension-8300

But as shown, Dell recommends doing MD5 and SHA1 checksums to verify file integrity. I’ve never done any checksum tasks before and wouldn’t even know the easiest to use utility, much less one that would work well on Windows XP.

Assuming this 875p motherboard chipset update was never installed, would this most likely get this RAID controller card installed error free?

If yes, please suggest a checksum utility that’s Windows XP compatible and for newbies so that I can verify the exe file’s integrity.

Solution
Out of curiosity, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? The latest shown on Dell's support page for an 8300 is A07. I'd advise updating the BIOS gradually if you're on an older BIOS version and have a number of updates before reaching A07.

Once on the latest BIOS version, try installing the drivers for the RAID drivers. Also, aren't you supposed to be a latter SP version for that OS?

Lutfij

Titan
Out of curiosity, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? The latest shown on Dell's support page for an 8300 is A07. I'd advise updating the BIOS gradually if you're on an older BIOS version and have a number of updates before reaching A07.

Once on the latest BIOS version, try installing the drivers for the RAID drivers. Also, aren't you supposed to be a latter SP version for that OS?

Solution