Dell Dude Thinks He Can Save the Company

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]deksman[/nom]I hope you are joking.Marijuana has anti-cancer properties (among others). The only reason its illegal is because if used properly to actually help in medical treatments, it would probably eliminate large portions of pharma drugs (which have dangerous side-effects and only address the symptoms, but never the cause) that would cause large loss of profits.Apart from that... I wouldn't touch DELL.Its terribly overpriced for what it offers.[/citation]

Don't just look at this from the medical aspect, it's also illegal because other industries like lumber and cotton would also be affected by it considering how fast it grows and how useful it can be ill probably be a better source to get paper from than trees just because of how fast it regrows, then you look into the fact that it would also be used for medical use among recreational to, and you have something that no business wants to have legal.

[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]"Dell is feeling a financial pinch in the pocket due to falling sales as consumers flock to tablets and smartphones." Uhh more likely its because Dell's quality bottomed out.[/citation]

As much as you like to think that it's not the case, see with businesses like this is more about brand recognition than it is about quality. You can sell a piece of crap in a tinfoil box, overcharge for, and so long as people have your name on their mind when their shopping for new computer they'll get you just because they've heard of you.

Consumers are generally complete morons. Have you ever wondered why a bad product is still around, this is why, marketing. It's the reason AMD never took off in the consumer space, everybody knows what Intel is and everybody's seen the Intel commercials when they go for new computer they see AMD on it they wonder where is Intel I've seen Intel on TV.

It's sad but in tech marketing and brand awareness are far more important than having a quality product. It's also the reason why Sennheiser isn't the a household name but bose and beats are.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]The only issue is that it's a gateway drug to harder kinds, and we're doing a crappy job with legalizing marijuana. I'm a bit alarmed by the amount of marijuana stores popping up in the country. I understand it has medical issues, but how many people actually need them? How could they sustain huge amount of marijuana stores and make them profitable if most of the customers have legit reasons/prescription?[/citation]

Then you should also be in favor of making alcohol smoking illegal, because these are also common things that you do before you start taking heroin or cocaine or what ever.

And the reason why pot stores are able to pop up and be profitable is because a lot of drugs like pain relievers such as Vicodin you don't need that if you have pot, pot works good enough as a pain reliever. It normally takes your mind off of the pain it also has a slight pain relieving effect and Vicodin will kill you over time pot can't. In fact most drugs at pot to replace have far more drastic side effects and no side effects happen far more often than you want to believe. Most drugs if you're prescribed it for a long period time you are going to die because of them.

The only reason that pot is illegal and probably the biggest reason besides the two I listed above would be drug companies make multiple billions of dollars a year and pay for lobbyists to keep that crap illegal.

How try looking up some of the numbers it's funny how much these companies con the US government out of money, but the US government never does anything about it because their bribed. That's really what lobbying is in America legalized bribery.[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]Wow, you couldn't be more wrong... It has many medical benefits. I've even had Dr's tell me my aggressive Multiple Sclerosis could benefit from it, but it's not legal in Texas so... I still won't do it while it's illegal.And the gateway drug BS is just that... But for that matter; tobacco is a gateway drug, and FAR more addictive in cigarette form then most of the other drugs out there. Smokers are more likely to try Marijuana.The real problem is since it is not regulated, dealers lace it with harder drugs. And the real reason it is actually illegal is they haven't figured out how to tax the hell out of it yet and if they did go back on their drug stance at this point, it would be admitting failure and having to admit all the $ spent on drug enforcement (which most of it is really for this one drug) was spent poorly. Not to mention the jobs that would be lost due to not having to police it anymore. It's all political now. But I suspect it won't survive much longer to be honest. It's going to collapse and honestly, it should. Make it legal, put a nice tax on it and make your gov coin. Ohh, not to mention the MAJORITY of people in jail for drug offences are petty marijuana charges (see: http://hashexpress.wordpress.com/t [...] stics/)... Let them out. PLUS, if a kid gets busted with a joint, they can't get student loans.. Ohh that's @#$%ing brilliant. They make a mistake so let's not let them better themselves and get an education... Wow... Just wow...This crap needs to stop. Focus on real crimes and real drugs. Mj can help some seriously sick people and many of them can not get it right now or, like me, refuse to break the law even when Doctors have suggested it can help them. Governments @#$% up. Fact. Just fess up and fix it and do the right thing going forward... for once...For me, instead of Mj, they give me Oxycodone. Basically a pill form of Morphine. (Oxycontin is the time released version of the same, mine is the direct-shot). Side effects, addiction issues and possible abuse only scratches the surface of what this type of narcotic can do. But Mj is illegal so this is what I get... Makes sense to me... The second I can get off this crap, the better. Been on it for years and when I do, it'll take me at least a few months in rehab just to get my body off of it. And I did pot for years in college like every other idiot out there. Stopped it cold turkey no problem. I tried to stop my Oxy myself and the shakes and shivers are actually terrifying. Smoked cigarettes for many years too and stopped it with similar effects but no where near the Oxy. And I hate 'being high'. I could so easily get there with the drugs my doctors give me. I strictly limit myself to avoid that because I hate it so much. I want to be normal. MS won't ever let me and eventually it will kill me. I want to hold my newborn twins. I want to drive stick again, ride a bike again, WALK again. Cuddle my wife without nerve over-reaction pains in my hands, legs and feet... Others in my situation who do use, and even Doctors tell me the answer is right there... Just out of reach.But let's all just follow the bull@#$% media and public opinion and scream "it's a drug! Kill it!". Thanks...[/citation]

Fun fact public opinion actually says they want marijuana legal, something like 55% to 40% with 5% undecided from what I remember.

Another fun fact into states pot is fully legal for any use, medical or recreational. However the federal government will still raid them for.

Another fun fact in states where it's legal for medical use the federal government comes in busts dispensaries and arrest the people who own them, even though it is perfectly legal in the states that they live

And if anyone's wondering yes I do hate my government.

[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]Just because a pill is prescribed by a doctor doesn't mean it's anymore better than the harsh street drugs. They probably end up killing more than marijuana. My point is, why do you think prisons across America are filled with marijuana criminals? And guess what? 90% of addiction clinics across America are because of marijuana related problems. I'm sorry but statistics don't lie. And all this 'medical' mumbo jumbo is just another said excuse for these addicts to satisfy their pathetic habit. Smart people like us don't need this...[/citation]

Actually the reason why most people in prison for marijuana are in prison is because prisons are privatized, basically saying if you have people in prison you can make money off of them they're not handled by the United States government most of the time. They're not correctional facilities their place someone opens up to make a profit off of the prisoners. How do you get more prisoners in the prison you ask, make marijuana illegal a drug which by some estimates 90% of the people in this country have smoked at one point in time or another, and then mostly bus minorities for.

You can call the laws making marijuana illegal racist, and you wouldn't be wrong seeing as how white people busted with marijuana don't serve jail time but if you're black you do. Zero-tolerance laws in general are retarded, just because they don't take the situation into account.

Let's say you have a crappy boyfriend and he stores a felony amount of cocaine in your apartment. That is not a whole lot of cocaine if you know the amount and could easily be heading anywhere. Let's say you don't even know he's doing. You get caught within your apartment you are going to jail and in that some states getting a felony for cocaine is a life in prison offense. I don't know her name off the top my head but what I just described actually happened.

Drug laws are failures, the only thing they do is create a black market in which games can actually get more money and power because of it, you can make using drugs the death penalty and people still use them and sell them. Government regulation government-funded programs and government taxed drugs would be the way to go in any sane society, but we can't have that here because our government doesn't work for the people works for the corporations.

[citation][nom]kajunchicken[/nom]Instead of questioning why this is posted here, people start arguing about what he said. Welcome to the interwebs. Doesn't ANYONE wonder why the hell this is here?[/citation]

I'm taking a guess was most likely trolling, who really doesn't matter what she was doing, because other people including me have made counter arguments to it. And I like to say for the most part more rational counter arguments.

The fact that it's here doesn't matter the fact that we're telling the truth about the drug means that even people who weren't interested in it if they even read our comments are even glance at it in their mind that they understand something a little bit more now, like the cancer curing properties, most people think that's a lie and actually looked into and find the medical studies where it has in fact shrunk cancer, and if they do that middle figure out that they've been hearing propaganda their whole damned life.

Yes we are probably responding to a troll but that doesn't matter because were responding to it in a way that is an argumentative, we're responding with fax in a place that won't delete. If this was 4chan will just be stupid to respond to a troll, but this is the place that these comments will last for months or years past their original post.

[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]Not sure where the drug comments came from... but I'll throw in the two-cents I've got. Marijuana is not "safe", but it isn't any more dangerous than most legal drugs. The danger of marijuana is it's degree of addiction and some of its side-effects. But, like I said, that only about puts it as a weaker version of Vicodin. Reality is that as a medical treatment it has been banned in so many places for so long there's hardly any updated, credible research on it.As for the actual topic of the article, a simple new ad campaign is not going to improve Dell's lot. They're not as "new" to the scene as they were back then. There are very, very few people who don't know about Dell. The problem is in the product. No nostalgia or anything like that will save them. They need new, better, products. Period.[/citation]

Actually the reason why marijuana specifically his banned, it was because of industries a long time ago that were afraid of the hemp market would actually destroy them. So they did was create propaganda that made marijuana look like it made black people go crazy.

And because of that laws are still on the books because of stupid propaganda.

If you want to look at heart and realistic light you also have to look at alcohol. The two are comparable to each other. While marijuana has tons and tons of scientifically researched benefits, alcohol really only has negative side effects. How did probation work out, but we made it illegal because of religious belief.

Why does a law put in place because of blatant racism stand the books but one that was just over I believe this because my religion got taken away.

-----------------------------------------------------

Too Long didn't read

Bring back the goofy kid, you will make your product on the tip of everybody's tongue who are looking for computer again something that hasn't been for years.

Pot should be legal because racist law blah blah blah read above

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]Just because a pill is prescribed by a doctor doesn't mean it's anymore better than the harsh street drugs. They probably end up killing more than marijuana. My point is, why do you think prisons across America are filled with marijuana criminals? And guess what? 90% of addiction clinics across America are because of marijuana related problems. I'm sorry but statistics don't lie. And all this 'medical' mumbo jumbo is just another said excuse for these addicts to satisfy their pathetic habit. Smart people like us don't need this...[/citation]

You realize that all of the rehab centers are dealing with marijuana related "problems" because 9 times out of 10 when someone gets caught with it they are given a choice, Jail or Probation and "Rehab". Now lets be honest, which are you going to choose? This automatically classes them as having a drug "problem", even if there was really no problem at all and they were just enjoying some MJ, same as anyone who has a few beers after work.

G

screw you aoneone.

I live in Kansas, the most STRICT marijuana state where a single gram can land you in jail.

Yet, I drink like a fucking fish, destroy my liver, and every other organ in my body legally, but I can't smoke a fucking bowl of pot that has no Life killing attributes?

I can't wait till the older generation dies, and all of us 20-30 year olds are the majority votes. Too many of these dickhead old people take that movie "Reefer Madness" to seriously. Once these old fuckers are dead and gone, the new and young generation will vote for pot. Pot is not even .00005% as bad as alcohol, and cigarettes, and that's coming from a raging drunk man.

Pot doesn't destroy your liver, spleen, heart, brain, give you ulcers, and all the other alcohol effects.
Pot doesn't kill you like legal pills, when I smoke a bowl it doesn't have a "warning" smoking this bowl may make you shit blood, it may give you a seizure, it may make you shit your spleen out, while singing old glory. you get my point. Watch the TV commercials on medicine.

G

This I just side effects of one of the main pain medicines people use instead of pot, do the math prick.

The most commonly reported effects include disturbing nightmares, memory loss, constipation, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, lightheadedness, headache, dry mouth, anxiety, itching, and heavy sweating.[12] It has also been claimed to cause dimness in vision due to miosis. Some patients have also experienced loss of appetite, nervousness, abdominal pain, diarrhea, urine retention, dyspnea, and hiccups,[2] although these symptoms appear in less than 5% of patients taking oxycodone. Rarely, the drug can cause impotence, enlarged prostate gland, and decreased testosterone secretion.

In high doses, overdoses, or in patients not tolerant to opiates, oxycodone can cause shallow breathing, bradycardia, cold, clammy skin, apnea, hypotension, miosis (pupil constriction), circulatory collapse, respiratory arrest, and death.[2]

My point rests.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]potftwscrewpills[/nom]screw you aoneone. I live in Kansas, the most STRICT marijuana state where a single gram can land you in jail.Yet, I drink like a (sanction avoiding censorship) fish, destroy my liver, and every other organ in my body legally, but I can't smoke a (sanction avoiding censorship) bowl of pot that has no Life killing attributes?I can't wait till the older generation dies, and all of us 20-30 year olds are the majority votes. Too many of these (sanction avoiding censorship) old people take that movie "Reefer Madness" to seriously. Once these old (sanction avoiding censorship) are dead and gone, the new and young generation will vote for pot. Pot is not even .00005% as bad as alcohol, and cigarettes, and that's coming from a raging drunk man.Pot doesn't destroy your liver, spleen, heart, brain, give you ulcers, and all the other alcohol effects.Pot doesn't kill you like legal pills, when I smoke a bowl it doesn't have a "warning" smoking this bowl may make you (sanction avoiding censorship) blood, it may give you a seizure, it may make you (sanction avoiding censorship) your spleen out, while singing old glory. you get my point. Watch the TV commercials on medicine.[/citation]

I like your enthusiasm, but your stupid if you think that the issue of popular legal is because of old people. From the very very beginning of this issue it was always about corporations not wanting to have any competition. Corporations made some propaganda that made pot illegal, private prisons came around that get a lot of prisoners from pot being illegal so they don't want to make it legal, pharmaceuticals don't want the pot to be legal because it will be a better drug than half of what they give us, and lumber and cotton industries don't want the competition.

It's not the old people they aren't stupid enough to really believe that pot is the devil, but you can understand when the air campaigns get donations from, and those donations really speak volumes to what kind of policies they put forth. You want to really change the country got up a constitutional amendment to get money out of politics. Google that stuff because it's really the only way wherever you change our country for the better

[citation][nom]PotFTWpricks[/nom]This I just side effects of one of the main pain medicines people use instead of pot, do the math prick.The most commonly reported effects include disturbing nightmares, memory loss, constipation, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, lightheadedness, headache, dry mouth, anxiety, itching, and heavy sweating.[12] It has also been claimed to cause dimness in vision due to miosis. Some patients have also experienced loss of appetite, nervousness, abdominal pain, diarrhea, urine retention, dyspnea, and hiccups,[2] although these symptoms appear in less than 5% of patients taking oxycodone. Rarely, the drug can cause impotence, enlarged prostate gland, and decreased testosterone secretion.In high doses, overdoses, or in patients not tolerant to opiates, oxycodone can cause shallow breathing, bradycardia, cold, clammy skin, apnea, hypotension, miosis (pupil constriction), circulatory collapse, respiratory arrest, and death.[2]My point rests.[/citation]

I have a bottle of Vicodin right next to me, is prescribed to me for one that I got my teeth pulled, is no pills left in it but I still have the bottle next to me.
Hydrocodone 7.5
acetaminophen 750

Acetaminophen is Tylenol, that was probably the most deadly thing in those pills. If you are on Vicodin long-term that is going to kill you. There is no question about it acetaminophen will take your liver out, a lot of people really consider the reason why acetaminophen is in these pills is to deter people from abusing them because if you abuse the pills your liver is going to die.

Now considering the fact that pot could've been used instead of those pills something that though is addictive over a long-term if you take way too much, doesn't have an addictive side effect that can hurt you to a point where you'd rather be dead or if you take too much would kill you. But because a bottle of 20 Vicodin cost $200 this too much profit to be made if you have a lock on the market and any kind of competition you are sure as hell going to try and remove.

A little over a year ago I read about something that could actually replace brushing your teeth because it kill the germs in your mouth that would eat away your teeth. It could be added to any kind of food any kind of candy any kind of soda and you wouldn't taste it with you had in your mouth for one minute to kill every one of those germs. It's kind of funny how I haven't heard a damn thing about it since then, it was supposed to of gone through the process of getting tested so could be put out, and was joked around that toothpaste manufacturers other places that have a stake in dental hygiene would be trying to buy the research and make sure this wonder drug never sees the light of day. You know it's really funny how when you put money in the politics like that I could honestly see it never coming out just because it never got federal approval.

I honestly wonder how far we ever gotten cancer or AIDS research, because I know companies want you sick because they like that your returning customer is no money in it here so I'm wondering how many places sat on some kind of an advancement I really wish I didn't have the ability to think like that, that I thought humanity as a whole would never allow that to happen.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]kajunchicken[/nom]Instead of questioning why this is posted here, people start arguing about what he said. Welcome to the interwebs. Doesn't ANYONE wonder why the hell this is here?[/citation]

Granted.... what the poster stated about marijuana has 0 bearing on the above article (about 'saving DELL'), and it IS odd as to why it was posted in the first place.
Usually, I'm a bit more alert on such matters... then again it was rather late at the time of responding, so I just... neglected it.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I highly doubt this will affect dell's sales. most pc hard core fanatics avoid big builders , becasue of theri pricing and buisnes practices . PErsonaly i never did like dell , because for years they swore they weren't talking intel cut backs for carrying only intel chips , something intel was busted for doing , dell being one of teh specific companies they paid off . and oddly enough dell still denies this fact.

i could care less if dell folds.

however this guy is a moron bringing back a "popular" face to a product that no longer appeals to the main stream consumer (nor is it needed by the main stream consumer)) will not magically start selling systems. Dell's only real hope are these steps

1. start making tablets themselves

2. build thier sytems like a boutique builder does, no locking out un-registered ram, stop using cheap ass parts (such as a philips dvd drive instead of a plextor). built quality.

3. consider expanding into component sales , new egg , and amazon and ebay all make hevty wads of cash from selling computper parts to enthusiast builders.

4. reduce prices across the board. try to actaully out match your competitior's prices

5. lastly maybe bring the dell dude , but don't advertise your rappy desktops that can't compete agaisnt real PC builders , instead advertise your tablets you started making in point 1

if dell did these ... they might , just might be able to save themselves.

InvalidError

Titan
The only reason I would have ever considered buying a laptop from Dell was because Dell used to be the only place I could get a laptop with everything I wanted on it at a somewhat reasonable price. Now that most models are one-size-fits-all deals, I have pretty much no reason to look at Dell anymore.

Another frustrating thing with Dell back when systems were configurable is that Dell often charged more for upgrades than the parts are worth at retail, things like charge $150 extra to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB when there was only a $30 difference between the two at retail so you still save ~$90 by buying the laptop with 4GB, buying 8GB aftermarket and putting the original RAM in the garbage bin (well, maybe not until Dell's warranty runs out), which is somewhat insulting IMO.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]No, there should be commercials like Dude, your making your own PC[/citation]

new egg should hire him !

[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]Not sure where the drug comments came from... but I'll throw in the two-cents I've got. Marijuana is not "safe", but it isn't any more dangerous than most legal drugs. The danger of marijuana is it's degree of addiction and some of its side-effects. But, like I said, that only about puts it as a weaker version of Vicodin. Reality is that as a medical treatment it has been banned in so many places for so long there's hardly any updated, credible research on it.As for the actual topic of the article, a simple new ad campaign is not going to improve Dell's lot. They're not as "new" to the scene as they were back then. There are very, very few people who don't know about Dell. The problem is in the product. No nostalgia or anything like that will save them. They need new, better, products. Period.[/citation][citation][nom]deksman[/nom]I hope you are joking.Marijuana has anti-cancer properties (among others). The only reason its illegal is because if used properly to actually help in medical treatments, it would probably eliminate large portions of pharma drugs (which have dangerous side-effects and only address the symptoms, but never the cause) that would cause large loss of profits.Apart from that... I wouldn't touch DELL.Its terribly overpriced for what it offers.[/citation]

you know you can argue about marijuana till you turn blue in the face , but really marijuana has NOTHING to with why pot was imade illegal in the first place

I did some very itneresting research , during the 1890's , the hemp industry was on the cusp of booming , hemp was starting to get used in all manner of products from paper , to ropes, to clothing even there was even a chemically treated hemp substance that acted much the way modern plastic does minuse the long life span of plastic . hemp base manufacturing was looking like it would soon encroach upon hundred's of industries . hundreds of industries that ALL had Lobbyist in washington , and all had a lot to loose if hemp products took over so many markets. 99.9 percent of those hemp products had NO THC the drug agent in marijuana. how ever these lobbyist latched on to the fact that marijuana was also made from hemp , it was bad ooohhh , and the politican's ate it up ( that and teh fat wads of cash all these conmpanies at them).

so what the goverment do .. instead of making a law specifically banning JUST marijuana production , they make a law that bans production of hemp plants in any way or for any use.

so there was no great revolution of hemp products that would have changed our world ( namley to be more ecosystem friendly as hemp products were all bio degradable ). and marijuana was made illegal too, BUT any one that buys the story that marijuana was the only reason for the hemp ban , is a total moron or they are oblivious to what politics are or both.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]Marijuana is a dangerous drug and we learned at school that it causes cancer, brain damage, and premature death. It's illegal for a reason so you are considered kind of a criminal now... This stuff has no purpose whatsoever on Earth.. TRUST me~[/citation]

Tobacco is a dangerous drug and we learned at school that it causes cancer, brain damage, and premature death. It's legal for a reason so you are considered kind of a normal person now... This stuff has no purpose whatsoever on Earth.. TRUST me~

Lay off the government propaganda a little bit.

aoneone

May 27, 2011
@SirGCal I'm sorry but youre wrong. The real reason "The War on Drugs" hasn't worked is because there weren't harsher penalties and stricter rules regarding this. Since the laws were vague and sometimes just a petty offense, this gave drug criminals and gangs/cartels more freedom to stay in the gray areas of the justice system. Now enough, my whole point was that re-hiring a drug addict to garner easy selling points will NEVER make a product successful to consumers. That's just pathetic.

And no, I'm not trolling, I'm just stating the truth and sometimes truth can hurt~ Wake up and smell reality for once.. seriously...

fimbulvinter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]@SirGCal I'm sorry but youre wrong. The real reason "The War on Drugs" hasn't worked is because there weren't harsher penalties and stricter rules regarding this. Since the laws were vague and sometimes just a petty offense, this gave drug criminals and gangs/cartels more freedom to stay in the gray areas of the justice system. Now enough, my whole point was that re-hiring a drug addict to garner easy selling points will NEVER make a product successful to consumers. That's just pathetic.And no, I'm not trolling, I'm just stating the truth and sometimes truth can hurt~ Wake up and smell reality for once.. seriously...[/citation]

We already imprison more of our citizens than any country on earth and you think it needs to be amped up? I mean it was already clear you are an idiot but you keep upping the ante.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Wow, what an incredible load of crap about marijuana. We have 1 person with MS with a valid reason to smoke on a regular basis. And about a dozen potheads with no good excuse. Hence, the problem with legalization, most Americans do not want to live in a country full of potheads.

For those opposed to *any* regulation of drugs, please read up on Britain's experiment legalizing heroin.

Hemp does not have the power to save the world. It's use is legal and common in several countries, but does not account for much of their respective GDP's. But, yea, I agree banning hemp in the US is stupid. Another interesting story from about the same time period is the history of cardboard boxes, and how the railroads delayed their adoption.

All natural does not equal non-harmful. Death cap mushrooms come to mind. Please do not try them.

Smoking anything carries risks. Aside from the general health risks of filling your lungs with smoke, marijuana also has it's own problems.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
You can't OD on marijuana. Safer than alcohol. Anyone who says differently doesn't know what they're talking about. Where are all the "weed" traffic accidents? Millions of people use weed in this country and the hospitals/morgues aren't filled with the effects. There are no addictive properties in marijuana. Any addiction would be psychological and not due to a chemical property of the substance itself. Jesus. Some of you shouldn't regurgitate government pamphlets like you actually know them to be true.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]Not sure where the drug comments came from... but I'll throw in the two-cents I've got. Marijuana is not "safe", but it isn't any more dangerous than most legal drugs. The danger of marijuana is it's degree of addiction and some of its side-effects. But, like I said, that only about puts it as a weaker version of Vicodin. Reality is that as a medical treatment it has been banned in so many places for so long there's hardly any updated, credible research on it.[/citation]In pure THC form, as a medical drug, it's fine. But smoking weed is just as likely to CAUSE cancer as to prevent/treat it. There's lots of research to back this up. Here's just one:

http://drug.addictionblog.org/does-weed-cause-cancer/

That article covers the GOOD and the BAD. Smoking weed? Bad. Taking a prescribed pure THC pill? Good.

Also, it is a gateway drug whether people like it or not. All the potheads I went to school with either used other drugs later, or were interested in using other drugs if they could get their hands on them. Didn't really matter what. Designer drugs, party drugs, safe, unsafe, laced, didn't matter. I experimented by offering various people drugs (which I didn't actually have any of) to gauge their reaction. Those who already smoked dope were interested in stuff like E almost 100% of the time.

So if they were to legalize MJ, they need to crack down hard on more serious drugs, and they need to crack down on people driving under the influence just like they have done with alcohol. Although it's much MUCH harder to accurately test, unfortunetely. I still don't think it's a good idea - legalizing it for adults inevitably puts it in many homes and makes it even easier for kids to get their hands on, not to mention makes it socially acceptable. Pot use among teens would skyrocket, and I just don't see the benefit except for selfish adults who want to see their dirty habit legalized, no matter the bigger picture.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]LOL, thanks idiots who fell for the troll who bashed weed.You all fell for him, good job.[/citation]
It doesn't matter if we fell for the not, the fact of the matter is these posted to last a very long time and less moderators delete, if someone even reads one of the posts and does a little bit of research because of a claim like it help shrink cancer, finds out that yes it does, and then their whole opinion on marijuana changes… Then it's an overall good thing.

G

I loved the Dell dude and thought when Dell fired him for his possession charge was silly. I come from the 60-70's generation, so I knew lots of people that smoke weed recreationly long before we knew of its medical properties. I thought then as I do now, that Dell was extremely short sighted in firing the Dell dude. He was funny and it put a young, hip, and fresh face to Dell. Now, you can't even get good customer service from Dell and spend hours on the phone with technical support trying to explain issues that you may have with a tech who has no grasp of American English and ends up asking you endless stupid questions (their script) rather than answering your questions and trying for resolution. Hate Dell and their customer service now!

Status
Not open for further replies.