Dell Fined $30,000 for Taiwanese Pricing Errors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cl458

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
For those who are rooting against the Dell, I hate to rain on your parade but I'd like to inform you that this fine does not stand a chance in the court of law. This $30,000 fine is for a firm which did direct harm to customers' being or wealth. I don't see either is the case here unless not-being-taken-advantage-of counts one.

Dell made a mistake, like Amazon.com did in 2003 when they sold $1,049 worth of tv for $99.99, or Kodak sold 329 pounds camera for 100 pounds in 2001. Though incompetent and stupid, Dell Taiwan did have a clause to inform customers that the contract is not binding until they were contacted by sales rep. I don't think Dell Taiwan would lose in the legal front. However, they did lose their reputation, if there ever was any, among Taiwan residential customers.

And there won't be any job opening for an online product and price administrator. The reason they made such a mess is that they don't have a single one in Taiwan. All the Dell Taiwan website contents are maintained in Maylasia or Singapore, I know it's one of these two countries but forgot which.

chrisv815

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I wouldn't buy from Dell if they were selling 19" LCD's for $15. this company is a joke, so dishonest and should be shut down. I tell everyone I personally know the same thing as should every "guru" out there.

Friends don't let friends buy Dells.

i rather my friends get A dell than a HP computer anyday

"I'd like to know where my justice is? Looks like the Taiwan government knows how to take care of their citizens... "

waaaah!!! your not getting something for nothing from dell waaah!!!

[citation][nom]dave_cable[/nom]I Got this gem from Dell back in March 09."Dear Customer, I am sorry to inform you that Dell has canceled your recent order for the Vizio 32” LCD HDTV due to a pricing error. The price shown was incorrect, and was far below the correct price for that product. As indicated on our web site, as well as in our catalogs and other advertisements, Dell reserves the right to cancel orders resulting from pricing errors. Because of the large difference in price, we have not reinstated your order, but we invite you to visit dell.com to re-order at the correct price. We value our relationship with you, and we sincerely regret this error and the resulting inconvenience. Please be assured that we are working hard to prevent errors such as this one, and to improve your overall customer experience with us. Sincerely, The Dell Customer Care Team"I'd like to know where my justice is? Looks like the Taiwan government knows how to take care of their citizens...[/citation]

In the United States we rely on "Class Action Lawsuit" or "CAL" to support our citizens. Apparently in Taiwan they get to rely on their government to support/protect them. :)

G

At least Taiwan Government did something. If it happened in Hong Kong, the government would treat it private business matter and do nothing.Laissez-faire policy!

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I'm sorry but IMO this is completely ridiculous. One of those things a lot of american kids are taught is that "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" Of course then you have these countries who are so anti-corporate they will then attempt to force a company to sell a product at a loss because of a typo.

IMO, if i were in control of Dell, i'd eat the fine, then i'd pull all business entities and stop selling my product legally in their country, if i had any physical shops there, i would shut them all down, fire everyone working there, and recoup whatever capital i could from selling equipment. Then i would issue a statement on company letter head to the govt of said country telling them to eat sh*t, in not so many words.

Yes, i know its not the wisest business decision, but eventually principal needs to take precedence.

I just get so sick of what are generally ethically sound companies who do their best to treat their customers properly, get essentially butt-f***** by the local govt based off of leftist laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.