[SOLVED] Dell G7 7588 - BSODs - no bootable device

Sep 13, 2020
Hey everyone ! I have a Dell G7 7588 with an upgraded 480GB Corsair mp510! Everything was normal up until two days ago ( had dual boot windows- pop OS) . Suddenly after sleep on windows i had a BSOD with WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR! I restarted and couple of minutes in had the same BSOD then it restarted itself and said no bootable device! This kept happening whenever i tried to log in to windows, couple of minutes in ->BSOD -> restarts itself -> no bootable device , then i have to shut it down myself from the power button as for it to be able to see my nvme again and boot from it.. normally i booted into safe mode.. everything worked there .. Then i tried pop OS , everything worked there as well so went back to find what was the problem. Tried everything but with no results so for last resort i did a fresh install on the nvme deleted everything including the pop os partition. Went through with the install but after a couple o minutes in windows i see the same behaviour.. Really need your help on this guys ! Also i noticed that i dont get a minidump file no matter what i do ... ckecked as well the event viewer and had an error "dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation".. I have my hands tied here ! at first i thougt it was the nvme .. but how is the pop os and safe mode operated normally?

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I'm making these deductions without any dumps files being as you stated you can't get them, so just breaking it down:

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR
WHEA stands for Windows Hardware Error Architecture and in the mass majority of cases, is indeed a Hardware error (including temperature issues and unstable overclocks for example).

BSOD -> restarts itself -> no bootable device
No bootable device would only often occur if there were hardware problems related to your drive, or your OS/partition has become corrupt in some way. A BSOD occurs precisely to PREVENT corruption.

Went through with the install but after a couple o minutes in windows i see the same behaviour
This would also...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

I'm making these deductions without any dumps files being as you stated you can't get them, so just breaking it down:

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR
WHEA stands for Windows Hardware Error Architecture and in the mass majority of cases, is indeed a Hardware error (including temperature issues and unstable overclocks for example).

BSOD -> restarts itself -> no bootable device
No bootable device would only often occur if there were hardware problems related to your drive, or your OS/partition has become corrupt in some way. A BSOD occurs precisely to PREVENT corruption.

Went through with the install but after a couple o minutes in windows i see the same behaviour
This would also likely indicate a potential hardware issue, the other OS installation simpyl, may not have exposed it, which can commonly happen. I am assuming you are also installing the OS with Microsoft's own media tool and a good guide (such as this one.) But a much smaller OS that does not interact with hardware in the same way could cause this issue.

Also i noticed that i dont get a minidump file no matter what i do
Due to the way in which dump files are generated, a common "go-to" when dumps aren't created when they should be is your RAM or Storage. As if one of these are faulty, it could well prevent dump file generation.

Based on the all the above, I'd be inclined to think that your storage drive could be faulty. But to make sure I would also reset your BIOS to defaults to remove any potential RAM OC for example to ensure there isn't some unstable settings at play.

Reactions: dimark1394
Solution
Sep 13, 2020

This would also likely indicate a potential hardware issue, the other OS installation simpyl, may not have exposed it, which can commonly happen. I am assuming you are also installing the OS with Microsoft's own media tool and a good guide (such as this one.) But a much smaller OS that does not interact with hardware in the same way could cause this issue.

Due to the way in which dump files are generated, a common "go-to" when dumps aren't created when they should be is your RAM or Storage. As if one of these are faulty, it could well prevent dump file generation.

Based on the all the above, I'd be inclined to think that your storage drive could be faulty. But to make sure I would also reset your BIOS to defaults to remove any potential RAM OC for example to ensure there isn't some unstable settings at play.

Thanks for your reply! Indeed i am using microsoft's own tool!
Yeah i assumed that it would my drive that has the issue ! But as I stated in the last part why would safe mode and pop os operate normally? Also i forgot to mention that i put my nvme to my dekstop pc installed windows there and waited for like 20- 30 minutes to see if the same behaviour would occur but everything seemed normal there! i really hope that it is the nvmes fault cause this laptop really served me well these two years + I need it for my work !
Sorry for the messy mesasge i need to learn the ways of the forum , im new here!