Dell, HP, Apple Consumer Reports' Best Desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many people choose to purchase an Apple display to match their mac mini? The smaller 24" model is $900... that's more than the mini itself. But, that's the price to pay if you want to be chic.

I agree, homebuilt beats all of these.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
lol I think that consumer report is way off. How can macbooks beat ASUS and MSI laptops? Its completely baffling. How can HP gain #1 desktop brand, and Dell even be on the list? I think someone was paid.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
ok homebuilt DEFINITELY beats store build, as long as its over $800. but i think under that, you can find pretty slick deals on store built computers.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I don't trust consumer ratings, considering the average consumer doesn't know the difference between memory and hard drive space. "That website loaded up mighty fast, this computer is awesome!! +100 rating!!" Or the classic saying from my dad "This god dmn piece of sht computer! (mind you, it is a $2000 laptop and never even a year old, its pretty nice) We need to return this crap and get a new 'different' one!! (+0 rating)" I look on his screen and he is typing web addresses into google search and wondering why it keeps going 'back' to google. *sigh

chise1

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Can someone please explain to me why only Dells, HP's and Macs are on the list? Yes, we all know that it's better to build your own computer, but unless there is a strict price limit (which Consumer Reports didn't seem to follow when it proclaimed that Apple produced the best laptops, comparing computers that were 3-4x more expensive than others)? The XPS 630 isn't even Dell's best model!

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Lately most of my clients look for destkop pc's under the $800 pricerange. For the past 3 or so years, I have recommended Dell because of their online deals. The ability to customize/upgrade on most of the desktop system's components via their website is a very convenient feature... especially for those who want the "feel" of building their own desktop (albeit in a very limited way) yet not require the know-how of actually piecing said components together.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Raidur[/nom]I don't trust consumer ratings, considering the average consumer doesn't know the difference between memory and hard drive space. "That website loaded up mighty fast, this computer is awesome!! +100 rating!!" Or the classic saying from my dad "This god dmn piece of sht computer! (mind you, it is a $2000 laptop and never even a year old, its pretty nice) We need to return this crap and get a new 'different' one!! (+0 rating)" I look on his screen and he is typing web addresses into google search and wondering why it keeps going 'back' to google. *sigh[/citation]

Consumer Reports is not a bunch of random users giving feedback, at least not for these ratings. These scores are garnered via a bunch of tests in labs. I know because I interviewed for a position there once, and I saw a couple dozen computers running the tests during my tour of the facilities. Funnily enough, the room where they test all the laptops looks like a Best Buy, since there are a couple of shelves with an aisle in between, and the shelves are full of shiny new laptops. All the laptops still have their stickers on them and everything.

How they decide which models to purchase and test, I don't know, but they are limited by the fact that they have to buy all of the merchandise that they test. They deliberately do not want to recieve any free items from companies, which could lead to any sort of bias towards or against someone. The company prides itself on being as unbiased as posisble with respect to any of the manufacturers of the products they test.

As ct1615 said, they are not going to rate top-of-the-line computers since the majority of the people who read their magazine are not in the market for something that powerful. Their profit comes directly from sales of their various magazines and website membership, and so they market themselves to as mainstream an audience as possible.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Home-built machine FTW. And I'd rather read the manual (or product website, forums, etc) than deal with any of their tech support.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
CR is going to rate computers under the most basic type of sythetic tests. Doubt very much they care a whif about gamming. Apple to them just full fills the checklists, nothing more. Doubt they really mark down on retail price. Absolute joke to see a Mac laptop get a Best buy rating and will be the most expensive comp tested in its category across the board, $300 to a $1000 more than the next model tested...insane.

st430

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
these test is bad.
the laptop test throw 2grand apple laptop to 700$ laptops....
come on...
even car compare test has price range limitation.
or else why don't you compare apple desktop with the IBM mainframe.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]Custom built systems took #1 in all my categories….#1 Value#1 Performance#1 appearance#1 Blending[/citation]

What do you mean Blending?

G

Dell is the worst computer on the market. 3 weeks and a drive went, disc socket doesn't open without a lot of hassel. Brand new? and has given many problems. Have had computers since 1979 and by far, and without exception the Dell PC is the poorest made and junkiest one that I have ever had. Made a mistake and did not check out consumer reports first.
Should be taken off the market !!!! buyerme

G

Don't buy an hp laptop. Their cooling solutions fail miserably. And their support for their legacy products does not exist. Usually, not a problem, but when the device is integrated and you want to upgrade and continue to use the machine in the future, it becomes an issue. Don't buy an hp laptop.
Maybe then they will choose their device vendors carefully.

G

i need to buy a laptop. I'm taking on line classes. It will also be for everyday use. I heard that Dell Inspiron 15 R is good. A friend also said to get HP. Any suggestions??

Status
Not open for further replies.