Dell Inspiron 530 No Post Error - No ram detected - after failed upgrade attempt

notrichbatman

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 quad core
I'm receiving a no post error code of two beeps on my 0FM586 motherboad, which according to the manual means no ram is detected.

I recently decided to upgrade
I purchased two of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00115U2TW/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1
1GB 800Mhz DDR2 PC2-6400 SDRAM
to upgrade upto 4 gb ram

and a new graphics card
EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDG3IDO/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_2

I made the novice mistake of doing both at the same time. I'm sure that upon my first attempt I didn't seat the new ram properly. The computer powered on but gave me the no post error. I saw what I did wrong, firmly seated the new ram and tried again, same error. Replaced the new ram with the old sticks, same error.

Since then I read about clearing cmos, and tried that by using the jumper. I think I did it correctly, but I am not sure. After that I tried the original ram in slot 1 and havent been able to boot the machine.

I still have the new graphics card in place. I had removed the old card and it's drivers before swaping in the new hardware but I didn't do anything about the integrated graphic drivers.

Please help. Maybe I'm missing a step or doing things in the wrong order or really, I don't know what.
Is it possible I broke the motherboard with my failed installation?
Thank you for any suggestions.

Remove the GPU card and reconnect to the integrated graphic output from the motherboard. Make sure all modules are firmly seated. Power up and go into the BIOS and reset to default settings. (It should tell you how. Every system is different but it's usually something like "Press F5 to load default or optimal settings" or something similar.)

Save settings and reboot. If the system will Post and boot to windows, restart, go back into the BIOS and change the default graphics adapter from integrated or iGPU to PEG or PCI. Save settings and shut down. Install the new GPU, change connections to the PCIe card outputs and reboot.

notrichbatman

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

Would you please explain what you mean by " reconnect to the integrated graphic output from the motherboard."
I originally had a radeon card in the pci-e (?) slot. I uninstalled the card and drivers and then replaced. I'm not sure how I would go about doing what you described.

my disclaimer on this issue

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that wount post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..

you got to know the the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly . the bios is custom made for there design and just for the parts they authorize to be used on there computers there only guaranteed to work as is out of the box as you bought it

this guys upgrade failed also get with him and see if you 2 can solve??

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2361884/inspiron-620-black-screen.html

notrichbatman

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
I think I still have time to return the card though, and the RAM. For at least partial refund.

Shouldn't the RAM modules I selected to upgrade have worked? Is there a compatiblity issues I'm not aware of?
Why am I getting the no post, no ram detected code?
If the new card is not compatible with the motherboard, can I replace it with the old to at least have a functioning system. Which stupidly enough on my end, is my primary computer.

it may just be like any bios its what they allow it to support and them you bought 2 separate sticks of memory when you should of got the matched kit so that can be a issue also lets say the bios has a total system memory limit and its set to 2 gb and now you got lets say 4gb your over its limit

prebuilts are a funny thing and they don't want you to upgrade ther wanting to sell you a new computer and there you go .....

I would like to be proven wrong on all of this so outhers with these upgrade issues can see and try

Take the side cover off the case, look at the motherboard and find the model number of the motherboard which should be printed someplace on the board itself. This will tell us much, and will additionally tell us if there may be a separate Non-Dell BIOS available for the motherboard that would alleviate the mostly unlikely possibility that the unit was programmed to not support any replacement GPUs or RAM.

In 30 years, I've never seen anything like that. Certainly, a lack of upgradeability due to no BIOS support for new hardware or hardware conflicts, but not to simply stop you from replacing hardware. Even the idiots at Dell know that the included hardware is going to fail at some point, often while they are still responsible for it, and need to be replaced. They also know that modules they're using today and rebranding as their own, might very well not be available tomorrow, and the same goes for every piece of hardware in any pre-built system.

I've seen a lot of BIOS firmware that limited the amount of tampering and tweaking that could be done to keep idiots from wrecking the rig, but honestly not to just prevent hardware changes. So get us the board model and we can tell you what is or is not possible with your setup and possibly help you to figure out WTF is going on.

notrichbatman

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Windows 7 x32
I have an Inspiron 530 (not a 530a,b,c,d) from what I can tell, that's what comes up from entering my service tag.

I'll have to double check that and my motherboad model when I get home. What I had written down was mobo 0FM586. but again, I have to confirm. I think I got this from a web search for a 530.

One thing I'm seeing is I the manual instructs "you must remove the PCI Express x16 card" before installing new memory, and I didn't do this, or read the manual before starting =\, doh. I was trying adding one stick at a time in slot 1 but I was leaving the card in place. Also, according to the manual, in order to clear cmos, I'm supposed to remove all peripherals, power down and remove charge, then move jumper over to pin 1 and 2 for 5 seconds then replace. And that should work? I'm going to try from scratch tomorrow.
Remove the graphics card until done, clear cmos, add one stick of ram, see if I can get a boot. add another stick, etc.

From what I've been reading, the card and memory "should" be compatible. My psu meets the minimum for the card, 300w.

More likely than not it tells you to do that because it may be physically in the way of removing the memory. Not because it will magically ruin your board if you don't. To reset the cmos, just remove the cmos battery for about two minutes and then put it back, or, pull the plug out of the wall and press the power button for about twenty seconds and then move the jumper into the clear position for a moment and then put it back and plug the unit back in. Probably not even necessary to go through all that.

When I need to do this on a rig I just power off, pull the cord, jump the pins and then plug back in and reboot into the BIOS so I can reset the settings to default or optimal, whichever is offered as an option.

Keep this in mind. Not all 300 watts are the same.

Not every 300 watt unit actually meets listed specs and not all units that say 300w on the label are even closely capable of producing 300w without exploding or just plain jane failing.

Couple of enlightening links below. I'd suggest you familiarize yourself with the PSU a little more, for your own sake. The GTX 750 TI isn't by any means a giant power hungry card, but even so, that kind of "my psu is 300w so it's ok" thinking can result in a complete failure of your entire rig. Not that it would in this particular case, but not that it wouldn't either. Also, no guarantees your OEM PSU is going to even have the necessary 6 pin PCI power plug needed to run the 750 TI.

PSU Tier list (In general, you want something at least Tier 3 for your card. Any higher card, probably Tier 2B or higher):
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

Don't be surprised when your cheap PSU blows up:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html

How to pick a power supply:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2150235/choose-perfect-power-supply.html

What happens when you use a low quality PSU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezk9OA7aKOE

notrichbatman

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
thank you for your help.
I havent gotten home yet, but I plan on spending a few hours today trying to troubleshoot.
Your description of clearing cmos was, well, clear. So thanks, I'll do that first thing AFTER removing the graphics card.

I'm pretty sure my power supply is 350w, but after reading your post content, I'll definitely have to consider shelving the card or returning it until I make some decisions about whether to continue upgrading or not.

At this point I just want to be able to restore what I had working. I'll post here with my order of operations. Hopefully I can at least get back to square one!

you mat also know these boards like in prebuilts from dell hp who ever don't have to meet atx standard .. so it pci-e slot may not be set to give the full 75w power needed for your card and can be limited to say 45w so even if you put in a 1000w psu its not going to help cause that sloy power is set in there fixed bios os something regulating it on the board

this is why you get the bios from dell or hp or acer whoever and not the boards manufacture as we do with aftermarket boards

still --good luck

The TI model uses a 6 pin plug to deliver power so I think it would be fine. Not to mention the whole point of the 750 series cards was to allow a card that could upgrade mainstream systems with OEM boards. You could still be right, but I'd have to see the documentation first. Since he originally had a Radeon card installed to begin with, this makes your theory even more doubtful, but still somewhat possible I suppose.

notrichbatman

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
UPDATE:

I took the pc to a friend's house and discovered that all the modules are bad. We tried all of them, one at a time, in slot 1 and had no success. It's not like I rubbed my feet on carpet in a dry room and tried zapping them all, no idea how it happened, I'd ground myself on the case or the power supply cover every time.

Luckily my friend had 2 compatible 2 gig sticks.
We got the computer to boot off of one. Then we tried installing the other stick in the third slot, no post. We then tried the second stick in the 2 slot, and viola, it worked. I'm now not sure if the third dimm slot is functioning, regardless, I have win 7 x32. Would be nice to know though.

The third slot likely won't work without the other slots populated. Glad to hear you got it solved. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that those are 1.8v modules and perhaps both your system and your friends don't like the high voltage requirement.