[SOLVED] dell inspiron 660 help

Jul 12, 2020
hi everyone I'm new to pc I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 660 Intel Core i5-3450 @ 3.10GHz 8GB RAM 500GB HDD DVD-RW off eBay the computer was completely stock and worked fine so I wanted to start pc gaming and I bought a ASUS AMD Radeon RX580 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (DUAL-RX580-O8G) off ebay used the listing said it was in working condition I also noticed that the graphics card needed a better power supply so I went and got a EVGA 700 BR 700W Bronze Power Supply - 100BR0700K1
I took the old power supply off and Installed the power supply the only connections that were on the old one were the cpu the 24 pin cable and the cd rom and hard-drive slots i also bought a ssd and hooked it up also now there's a ton of other connection the evga power supply can hook up to allot more than the stock one but I plugged in everything that I disconnected off the old one all other connections on the motherboard I left alone so I went to boot it up im getting a solid amber light no post and the. Fans on the computer are running at 100 percent like way to much now my questions are is it possible to put a aftermarket power supply and graphics card in a pre-built computer like that is the 700 watt power supply too much? I didnt get far enough to check to see if the graphics card work i removed it after the power supply was not working does anyone have any suggestions? I also noticed that on the new power supply that there were more than one connection to plug into one thing like there was 2 cpu connections on the power supply and there was one on the mother board i tried different connections no luck later im going to try to hook up the old power supply and see what happens this is my first build I'm completely new at building pc just started doing research about 3 months ago any help would be appreciated thanks

Solution
hi everyone I'm new to pc I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 660 Intel Core i5-3450 @ 3.10GHz 8GB RAM 500GB HDD DVD-RW off eBay the computer was completely stock and worked fine so I wanted to start pc gaming and I bought a ASUS AMD Radeon RX580 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (DUAL-RX580-O8G) off ebay used the listing said it was in working condition I also noticed that the graphics card needed a better power supply so I went and got a EVGA 700 BR 700W Bronze Power Supply - 100BR0700K1
I took the old power supply off and Installed the power supply the only connections that were on the old one were the cpu the 24 pin cable and the cd rom and hard-drive slots i also bought a ssd and hooked it up also now there's a ton of other connection the...
I took the old power supply off and Installed the power supply the only connections that were on the old one were the cpu the 24 pin cable and the cd rom and hard-drive slots i also bought a ssd and hooked it up also now there's a ton of other connection the evga power supply can hook up to allot more than the stock one but I plugged in everything that I disconnected off the old one all other connections on the motherboard I left alone so I went to boot it up im getting a solid amber light no post and the. Fans on the computer are running at 100 percent like way to much now my questions are is it possible to put a aftermarket power supply and graphics card in a pre-built computer like that is the 700 watt power supply too much? I didnt get far enough to check to see if the graphics card work i removed it after the power supply was not working does anyone have any suggestions? I also noticed that on the new power supply that there were more than one connection to plug into one thing like there was 2 cpu connections on the power supply and there was one on the mother board i tried different connections no luck later im going to try to hook up the old power supply and see what happens this is my first build I'm completely new at building pc just started doing research about 3 months ago any help would be appreciated thanks
Make sure the 24Pin and 4Pin power on motherboard is connected properly. If you don't know where is the pin, look at this manual, page 14, part number 1 and 6.
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-660_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

and for RX 580, make sure the 8Pin power connector is connected on the graphic card (they are 6+2Pin cord from PSU).

Last edited:
Solution