Dell inspiron bios does not recognize samsung 840 ssd

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Juan4684

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
I had the same problem but with a laptop, then i removed the back cover and found that it was not fitting, so i had to pull a little bit up the ssd so it can fit on the sata and problem solved.

ewolfman

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
My problem is a little bit different. The BIOS seems to recognize the 850 EVO but Win 7 installer simply gets stuck and fails to load and show the drives. Using DISKPART one time i managed to list the drives (took forever). But basically it doesn't work. I even tried to setup Windows on another machine. When back in my dell n5010, it starts to load windows and then hangs on blue screen.

Any idea?

Ruven Naidoo

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
The drive is not connected to the pins as there is some space in the slot.
Turn the laptop right side up and then insert the drive, the pins will connect.

Ashutosh_5

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
I have Dell Studio 1537. I was facing the similar issues. I updated my BIOS from version A02 to A11 and then finally everything started fine for me. I don't have to do anything else. The solution to change it to IDE doesn't work at all. I installed Samsung EVO 250 GB SSD in place of my old hitachi hard drive.

Umpiloto

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Thanks so much guys!
Being conscious of the position of the drive power and data connectors as I snapped it in was totally the issue!
I never would've figured that out on my own.

TOKUR

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
It's 3 AM here, and your solution worked! Took out the SSD and pushed it in while pushing it downwards as much as I can. After a few tries
I thing I managed to align it with the regarding ports, and my laptop (Dell Inspiron series) is busy installing Windows at the moment. Thank you! (Samsung 650 120GB)

kar bhala ho bhala

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

It was almost the same problem with mine dell inspiron 1545. I think the major cause is that samsung ssd are 7mm in height and the dell hdd bay is 9.5mm in height app. To cover that difference I tried ssd spacer. If the problem is not resolved, try ssd spacer + a piece of cardboard. Hope your ssd will be detected.
NOTE: If you don't get ssd spacer, try simply the card board that cover the difference.

kriegaex

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Thanks to D-RockTech for her/his hint about reseating the caddie until it really fits and the drive is actually connected and not just dangling loose. Now my old Inspiron 1501 BIOS recognises the SSD and Windows 7 is just about to be installed on it via USB stick.

HarveyWallbanger

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
Dell 15, i3543 - took 3 different SSDs, saw the SSDs, loaded Windows 7, but not completely. Went back to my Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS (part SSD+7200 RPM), which initially had problems with the Dell, but they went away. Not trying anymore SSds, LOL. My son is in IT for a major wireless company and he attempted the 3rd try this past Sunday, ditto. The Seagate is fast enough.

Vladimir_10

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
I also was frustrated by not being able to install my SAMSUNG 750EVO SSD on Dell Lattitude E6400.
After reading some folks comments, I quickly realized that SSD drive is not seen because it was placed into the place with not enough efforts.
I take it off, put it back with firm quick push and it worked.
SSD drive was seen as a Primary Internal Drive.
I also set ACHI in System Configuration.

dianoga44

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
I know this post is 5 years old now but I just ran into the same issue. Read through this and knew it must be the problem.

All I did was put the small manual that came with the Samsung SSD underneath the SSD itself to raise it up a little bit, worked a charm!

atomrom

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018
Great surprise! This primitive DIY solution also worked for me: "All I did was put the small manual that came with the Samsung SSD underneath the SSD itself to raise it up a little bit, worked a charm!"