Dell inspiron how to turn on wifi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamourowen

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

HEEEY... No luck Windows says Media disconnected, I tried IPCONFIG release renew Media disconnect I tried netsh wlan allow didn't work. The drivers for both the wifi and Bluetooth only says activate Bluetooth on wireless switch, then says install failed. Deleted system drivers and installed the .inf drivers. It did not fix. There is no physical switch. TCP\IP loop test worked.
Dell Inspiron 3721 17R.

Humour me - take it somewhere and try it outside your own home network. I assume you've tried cabling to your router to eliminate router problems but try wiireless outside your own environment is a test that might reveal something. If it fails that test, I would suspect the wireless card of being dead.

robinsinghsandhu

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
hello dell varun t
i have dell inspiron n5110. but i installed the driver but when i press fn,f2 there ia a voice like the device is enabled but when i set up a hoc it shows wireless is currently disabled. i tried too much but i do not get success

Bice_Stephen

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
We are having similar issues with multiple Dell models across the board. We have several restaurants that use these laptops in house. My guess is usually a faulty wireless card. This could be due to rough-housing the machine, loose card, or otherwise. However, I haven't been able to confirm just yet because restaurant managers don't know how to send things in the mail... *-_-

The chip has probably failed. You could either open up a hatch under the base of the laptop and reseat the wireless card or simply buy a USB dongle to take its place.

The number of failures might point to a driver issue - maybe a new driver has come along which doesn't agree with older chips or newer versions of Windows. Try rolling back the driver to an earlier one.

This thread has run its course without seeming to resolve anything so it's time to close the thread and assume these wireless chips are no longer any use.

dustydas

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Hey Dell Varun,

You really made me look good in front of my husband. My husband formatted his PC and is rebuilding it. He can fix nearly any problem he has with a computer but this one stumped him. He told me that he was having a problem with connecting to the network and laughingly told me to see if I could fix it while he took a nap. I laughed back at him and said I will see what I can do. Well his PC has a connection now and it didn't before. Thanks for the information. You're the greatest.

dustydas

]Hello,
HOW WILL I TURN ON THE WIRELESS CONNECTION OF MY DELL[/quotemsg]

Hi Tintin
My name is Varun and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.
The problem which you are facing with the system we can surly resolve the issue for you. As per the details there are different ways of turning on Wi-Fi in dell systems it always depends upon the model of your system .ill give you all the three options.
1: You can press FN+F2 and start wireless connection.
2: Only by pressing F2
3: There will be a slider switch on either side of your system for the Wi-Fi connection you can slide to the number 1 position and the wireless connection will be activated.
But it depends upon the model of your system
After using this steps if you still not able to turn on the wireless connection please do reply us back on same thread along with the model number.
Thanks

Dell-Varun_T
[/quotemsg]

Good news, dustydas, and a positive note on which to close this old thread.

Varun's advice will remain visible to future readers but it didn't work in all circumstances and he hasn't returned to reinforce his advice so his post will not be chosen as the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.