Dell Inspiron N5110 freezes while plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumaile

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Hello,
The Windows (Windows 8 Pro) starts fine, all drivers are working but when I plug in the AC adapter after 5min of using the laptop it just freezes and I have to restart it. In safe mode this problem does not persist. This means that I should not charge the laptop while I'm using it, it's not very pleasant. Also on Windows 7 it works just fine. Please help. Thank you.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Is this a newly purchased laptop set up in dual boot mode, Win-7 and Win-8 chosen from the boot manager?

Sounds like a power configuration setting in Win-8. Initially go to the power settings area, and choose on of the standard config choices, like balanced, and change the time to spin down the HDD to a later interval like 30 minutes.

Or even choose a power configuration choice the same as for Win-7, so they are both the same, as a trial.

parky1987

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I have exactly the same issue. Updated all drivers and BIOS but still doesn't resolve the issue. Spoke to Dell and they refuse to support my laptop even though it is less than a year old. If anyone has a resolution for this it would be a great help.
Cal

tottiroma

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
I have a similar problem of freezing of my dell inspiron n5110 on windows 8 , but it works fine on windows 7 , i originally upgraded the system memory from 4 Gb to 8 Gb when i purchased the laptop, and since then it works fine on windows 7 , but when i installed windows 8 recently, i have a continuous freezing issue when using it for a while , i tried everything from changing several copies of windows, to updating to the latest BIOS and drivers , but it didn't work, even on battery or plugged-in , until i removed the extra memory , to return back to 4 Gb , and then everything worked fine with no freezing issues , so i suppose it's a problem with the chipset on motherboard that can't support maximum memory of 8 Gb, did anyone try this solution ????

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi there,
Couple of points to consider. You didn't mention if you are running the 32 bit Win-7 and Win-8 or the 64 bit version which will take > 3GB of RAM. When you add more RAM, you might have to adjust the RAM voltage up slightly to have it function in a stable fashion. Also if the additional RAM is not part of a matched 8GB set, there could be timing issues with the older 4GB set.
There is a Memory testing module built into Win-8, so you could try the 8GB, and run the memory testing module or use MemTest86+ to stress the RAM for problems. That should tell you if it is a RAM issue, or something else.

Also by freezing, if you mean a BSOD, there is a small applet called "WhoCrashed" that can read the MiniDump dump file that is logged, and point you to the driver that is the culprit. After a BSOD, when you boot up, then you run the applet and it will read the MiniDump log. It doesn't have to be running when the stop error occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.