Question Dell Inspiron restarting after closing lid(hibernation)

Aug 30, 2019
Hi, I have a new Dell Inspiron 7573. Whenever I close the lid to put it into hibernation mode, occasionally the computer will restart upon the opening of the lid. It restarts around every 2 times it is put into hibernation. I have all the settings set to where closing the lid puts it into hibernation. Checked the BIOS time and it was correct. Dell has a setting in the BIOS called "SupportAssist OS recovery", which was set to 2 by default. Tried to change it to 0, but no success. I have no idea how to fix this. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be appreciated.

Laptops are designed to wake up from sleep or hibernation when the lid is opened. That's normal behaviour (think about it ---- opening the laptop lid means you intend to use it anyway).

If you don't want that to happen when you open the lid, shut Windows down so your laptop turns off.

Dec 3, 2019
Laptops are designed to wake up from sleep or hibernation when the lid is opened. That's normal behaviour (think about it ---- opening the laptop lid means you intend to use it anyway).

If you don't want that to happen when you open the lid, shut Windows down so your laptop turns off.
Philip, I don't you understood the problem. When opening the lid, the laptop restarts instead of waking up from hibernation.

I have the same problem but I'm on Ubuntu. Not sure if this is a OS issue or a hardware issue

In Power Options, change what closing the lid does. Instead of "Hibernate" set it to "Sleep" instead.

(Hibernation mode can be problematic on some computers, best not to use it on any PC in my opinion. It seemed like a good feature when first introduced, but in practice it can be pain).