Dell Introduces Precision Laptop With 32GB RAM

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
That's a low price! Hopefully, Dell used quality components that can tolerate a lot of heat, and included a kick-ass cooling system to remove most of it.

[citation][nom]Manthas[/nom]But wait a second here - looking at the Dell web site, it looks like they don't offer any 64-bit OS choices; it's all Win7 or WinXP 32 bit. Someone needs to explain that one to me.[/citation]
I don't know which web site you were looking at but I see both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate editions as well as 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista Business as choices for the Operating System.

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]All for the low price of $3,999.99, which, surprisingly, is still lower than the price of a Macbook with an Intel core 2 duo and 4GB of RAM...[/citation]
Wrong.. although I hate Macs too... a macbook pro costs far less than that... plz stop embarrassing us pc users with idiotic remarks... think b4 u speak next time..

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
The question of the 32 GB of memory is IF it makes sense for what you do right now, in the near future or if this amount of memory will alleviate your work to produce something you otherwise can't. For example I work with 3D apps that, given the conditions, will use all the memory. For me it needs to be a very big 3D scene with 16 million polygons or more. BUT, for me to justify this investment implies maybe I will be moving a lot and quickly from place to place. And even, with 16 GB of memory it may be a better investment for me a more powerful processor on a heavier chassis. This is me.

So, balance is the word I am looking for. Before I put 32 GB of memory into a system I will evaluate a heavier portable monster with dual Xeons and a top graphic card. So I think, after all this Dell laptop is very specific for oil terrain visualization on remote places or CAD visualization with on client location.

Even more, I will use a compact PC or SFF chassis and max out all I could and it will be cheaper, reasonably portable and even more capable where I need it to be. A Shuttle XPC SX58H7 can handle 16 Gb of memory and a full i7 processor, add a light monitor and it all fits on a carryon. And seriously use a large extension and an inverter connected to a vehicle for power on remote areas. It wont work for everyone so that is where this DELL laptop comes into place.

hko45tom

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
My M6400 is dedicated to PhotoShop. Since PP will gobble up all the RAM you have, I'm just saving my $$ for the M6500 to replace it. Use with the E-Port Plus which allows me to use two identically configured monitors (2 DVI and 2 DP), it make's for a great digital image WS. (Was it mentioned that the M6500 will also let you add a third drive?)

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
To all those folks who think 32 is too much... one of the reasons I upgraded fromt my M6400 to the M6500 was because I needed more than 8gig.

Imaging and analytical work (as well as virtualization) - they all eat ram like candy.

Someone mentioned only 32bit os options... I ordered mine with Win7 Ultimate x64, so you CAN get 64 bit OS's. Dell's site might be at fault... it's too big for its own good (I've found the same server available in two separate locations on the site... with very different customization options!).

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Some benchmark info on my M6500:

Passmark :
CPU: 3718 - respectable, middle of the "High end cpu" pack.
3D Graphics: 935 - about 75% up the "High end graphics" list
Disk: 1840 - damn good - second on the "High end HDD" list (note that my setup is Raid0 SSD's... which is cheating). Detail- SeqRead:265 MB/s, SeqWrite:164MB/s.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
For being a technology site there are a lot of people complaining at more memory? Ill be it there arent very many people that would need something that powerful right now, but for the few that do use it I'm sure its a Godsend. All the intensive programs/reasearch I do is done on a remote server and VPNed back to me
for the onsite cad have a remote server crunch it, and put it into a video, not send rendering information back to your laptop. Its being done with games why not work?

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
i just went over to dell and customized a version of this laptop with 32 gb, and all the top-end components i liked, and it came to $15,547.

wow.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
@Dexternal ; Extra cooling? Mobile RAM doesn't take that much power .. just some passive airflow will keep it cool enough

So, the question is, did they put in a custom memory controller that could access that much RAM? Or does the i7 chipset's memory controller have that support? how did they re-engineer the motherboard layout and chassis to have 8 RAM module slots?

G

I think this is the right choice for someone who likes to work in many different fields of computing. It is a typical device for a freelancer you has to do all grafic works, generate database and organize all serverconnections at the same time. And you has to work where ever a job makes it necessary with his complete performance.
You normally need a stabil system for high performance programms (e.g. Adobe CS5 Suite and 3DS MAX) and have at the same time all your business and economic software running on a virtual machine (Office, Outlook Server, Databases, etc.) and need a sparat virtual machine for running the useful small programms that can easily kill all performance if you install it on the main system (video tools, converters, webgrabbers, etc). And sometimes it is useful to have an apple with you at the same time without taking a second computer with you.
An additional virtual machine with 2 cores and 8 GB RAM should give 70% of the power of an MacBook.
So with the business VM who takes 8GB and the tools VM with lets say 4GB and running the Mac OS SnowLeopard with 8GB, you have 12GB left for the high-performance main system.
Now this makes sense. But the processor I think will then be the bottle neck.

But I think it makes a lot of fun to work at such high speed.

My dream configuration would be an i7 940XM and the nVidia quadro 5000m (2GB)as graficcard (available late October 2010).
An 64 GB SSD mini-eSATA card for booting, an 512GB SSD for the programms and the frequently used DATA and as second main harddrive an 750GB 7200 rpm momentus harddrive for archiv files and other stuff, iso files, etc.

Then I think you really can make use of this extraordinary power.

G

for all of you people wondering what you need this much power for.... .... .... .... wait for it .... .... .... MUSIC. REAL

G

well if you went to alienware and build your laptop with around same specs it is much cheaper even when you add the highest ram and graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.