Question DELL laptop switches off when loading Windows 10

frariky

Reputable
Sep 13, 2019
Hi all,
I do a fresh install of windows 10 on a DELL Vostro 15 and everything goes well for all the procedure (the laptop will switch "off" and "on" at least 2 times as per normal installation procedure) with no issues.
Then I proceed with installing the Windows updates and I reboot.
At this stage the laptop wil load for the first 10 seconds and exactly when the Windows logo appears with the spinning wheel, the laptop switches off.
I try to switch it on and it sometimes work (I could use it for hours with ho troubles) but most of the time it switches off exactly when loading Windows. I tried a to use a new SSD and no change. The Power supply unit is genuine and the battery has got "excellent" score. I run the DELL hardware scan and everything appears good. All the drivers in device manager are with no warnings. I'm now clueless about what to do.

Lutfij

Titan
I do a fresh install of windows 10
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in an offline mode(without internet access)?

DELL Vostro 15
Can you check and see if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending?

If the laptop's brand new, you should return it/get it replaced since that is not normal behavior out of the box.

frariky

Reputable
Sep 13, 2019
I do a fresh install of windows 10
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in an offline mode(without internet access)?

DELL Vostro 15
Can you check and see if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending?

If the laptop's brand new, you should return it/get it replaced since that is not normal behavior out of the box.
Thank you for your answer.
The Windows installer is the genuine one from Microsoft that I used for tens of other laptops with no issues.

Bios is updated to the latest version

This is an old laptop with a 7th generation Intel CPU that supports windows 10 according to the DELL website (providing the drivers too)