Dell Launches $499 Windows 8 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Direct competitor to Surface RT? Atom based tablet has battery life rivaling Surface RT and slightly better performance. Combined that with able to run all applications, one cannot help but think that maybe the whole RT fork is nothing but a distraction in the long run.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]rds1220[/nom]It will probably be a huge POS just like thier computers. I wouldn't take one if they were giving it away.[/citation]

Yeah you would. Any person would.
Anyway.. Not bad for $600 (Australian pricing, odd because our dollar is strong as granite).
I can't really think of something better for them to fit within that price.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
for 500 bucks, better than anything else out there assuming the build quality is, well... quality. Screen resolution is fine at that size, and i'd love me some VLC and logmein hamachi for streaming videos from my home pc while I am away. Android tablets havent been doing it for me, apples tablets cant play back mkvs that have advanced subtitle scripts (foreign films and anime) so this may be the one i get!

braitBR

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
You guys are funny... the dual-core Atom performs better than the Quad-Core A9 found on the Tegra that powers Surface RT, plus it runs legacy programs and costs the same. Quad-Core A9 = AWESOME, Dual-Core x86 Atom = Bad? LOL Ok, it's Dell, but c'mon, for the hardware it has it's a good price...

G

It is funny Apple sheeps pays $500 for a 16Gb iPad, and some MS pundits paying $500 for Surface RT running Tegra3, and they think it is good value. Now come along something faster, lighter, with bigger software library, good battery life, and they think this is too expensive. Meanwhile, they give away their hard earned money to Apple and MS. And they think the actual competition such as iPad and RT is "good enough". There is no hope for such people.

Yes, a lot of people want a Core i5 on these things at $500, except the i5 costs $200 alone. Talk about greed.

G

So glad when all the Windows 8 crap dies down. I know no one who plans on getting it or has it. 7 is just fine. Windows 8 = Vista 2.

[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]So glad when all the Windows 8 crap dies down. I know no one who plans on getting it or has it. 7 is just fine. Windows 8 = Vista 2.[/citation]
If you are looking at a desktop, go ahead, stick with Win 7, but this is a tablet. Win 8 is specifically designed for tablets. It's the fact it is designed for tablets that makes you not like it on the PC.

No one in their right mind would choose a Win 7 tablet over a Win 8 one.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I got a $400 Intel Clover Trail Tablet. It has been one of the best investment I made. Intel and MS need to start selling more of these Atom + Windows 8 tablet for $400. They offer far more value than Apple and by the end of tis year, they should be able to compete with 4x A15. RT tablets are kind of a waste when you can have a cheaper tablet that actually performs more function and break even with 2x A15.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]seriousgamer[/nom]LOL WITH INTEL ATOM HAHAHA[/citation]
I've put Windows 8 pro on a 2 years old Atom equipped PC and ... it works damn fast. Windows 8 Pro is perfect for those devices. I don't like the screen resolution of this dell tablet, but besides that, had this kind of tablet existed two years ago, no enterprise would ever have bought an iPad.

chocostain

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
All companies are now creating tablets. I mean, wth? It's like a tablet public market out there.

Are people running out of ideas? Why not make "Minority Report" a reality!

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tiltowait[/nom]Direct competitor to Surface RT? Atom based tablet has battery life rivaling Surface RT and slightly better performance. Combined that with able to run all applications, one cannot help but think that maybe the whole RT fork is nothing but a distraction in the long run.[/citation]

MS is good at making those forks, though. Why is there even a 32-bit version of Win8 again?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
So a touchscreen netbook without a keyboard for $500? Not sure how useful this would be for running desktop applications. Which specific programs would you run? Would you need a keyboard and mouse/touchpad?

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
WTF this is $599 on their site. I was all in for getting one until I realized Dell (or Toms) is pulling the old bait and switch.

@ $600 not such a good deal anymore.

[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]MS is good at making those forks, though. Why is there even a 32-bit version of Win8 again?[/citation]

A lot of software (especially in businesses) is not supported by 64 bit versions of Windows.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
My only complaint would be the choice of 2GB of ram. For the price of ram right now, why would you not include 4GB? And giving no option to have additional memory makes this tablet dead in the water for me.

For those specs at that price, I will stick with an Acer W510. For an extra $100, you get the extended battery, twice the SSD storage and a keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.