Dell Monitor choices

NinjaDMP

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
I have some questions regarding dell monitors for those of you that have spent some time owning/researching them...
Let me start by saying im undecided between the 24" and the 22" models. I will be using the monitor primarily for gaming at x1050, or x1200 if i go 24", but I also do a lot of reading on my computer so the clarity of text is very important to me. Would it be worth the extra money for an ultrasharp? I have seen some 24" for pretty cheap (about $350) but they all start with model # E... what does that mean? What exactly is the difference between the ultrasharp models and the regular ones? Thanks for any info you have. later.

vmardegan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I just bought one at BBuy for 289.99. 24" with 1900x1200 resolution. It's really amazing. I am loving it so far. Worked right out of the box and the image is great.

I still have a 19" LCD LG that is my second monitor now that is really good as well, but this Dell really impressed me. I bought on an impulse but I don't regret one second!

If you are concerned about the size/clarity of the text, don't bother. This monitor does a very nice job and at that high resolution, you will have very crisp and clear characters.

As for the ultrasharp, AFAIK the main difference lays in some extra features, such as USB ports, telescopic stand (to raise/lower the screen) and some other things. Honestly I did not research it too much and just compared quickly side-by-side at BBuy. Could not find some good arguments to spend more in a monitor. But again, this is me...

Anyways, my two cents is go for it. I think you will not regret as well.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
from what i know, the ultrasharp series doesnt have improved image quality, but only a few extra little features, like a height-adjustable stand that can also pivot. and as for clarity, as long as you run the monitor at its native resolution and you're connected through DVI or better, text will be very clear and sharp.

NinjaDMP

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
I'm reading now that the 2408WFP is a S-PVA Panel with 178/178 degree viewing angles and the E248WFP is a TN panel 160/160 viewing angles... Can anyone clarify what exactly this translates to as far as image quality when sitting directly in front of the monitor? Only other difference than the viewing angle i can find is the contrast ratio is 3000:1 as opposed to 1000:1. I don't really care for the extra inputs/built in card reader/height adjust on the higher end model. Thanks for any help.

yathink13

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I have the 24" ultrasharp, and after a little calibration it has the best picture of any monitor I've ever owned. The viewing angle is very good, and the warranty on the ultrasharps is pretty sick and wrong. If you do any video or picture editing, it's worth it I think. for just gaming and general stuff, don't spend that kind of money.

The ultrasharp will have darker blacks, purer whites, and more vivid colors, as well as the fact that the image will not shift at all when the viewing angle is changed. This is because the ultrasharp 2408 uses a higher quality S-PVA panel, which is one of the better panels for use when good color is a requirement. The E248 is TN, and it is a darn good monitor, but it will show the normal defects of TN, including poorer color and significant gamma shifts with almost any vertical movement. You'd only really see this as a problem if you were extremely picky, and you would probably be happy with either, but the ultrasharp will give a noticeably better picture.

NinjaDMP

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Thanks for the information, am I correct in assuming all the 22" models are TN panels? even the ultrasharp? The dell website has the panel spec's blank for the 22" models and 24" e248WFP where as the 2408WFP is listed as a PVA panel.