Question Dell OptiPlex 3060 MT psu upgrade

Aug 14, 2019
Newbie here and I’ve been scouring the internet for answers on this. I have a Dell OptiPlex 3060 MT which comes with a 260W PSU, I’m currently running i5-8500 CPU, 2x 4GB RAM, 500GB SATA HDD, 1TB M.2 SSD, and I just purchased a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GPU. My question first off is can my current PSU handle the load with the GTX 1050 Ti GPU rated at 75W (which I’m assuming is a no-go) and secondly what PSU will fit in this tower and what is recommended for wattage rating for the upgrade? I was thinking around a 500watt PSU but I can’t seem to find anything in regards to what will fit in this prebuilt tower. Contacted Dell tech line and they were completely useless to say the least.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019
Will I need any type of adapters or does this have all the cables to just swap out with my current PSU? It doesn’t matter that the Dell PSU is long and rectangular and this one is square? There’s definitely room for this in the case, just the way the factory PSU mounts and the vent don’t seem like they would match up. I would attach a picture but I’m not sure how to do so

Aug 14, 2019
Is it even worth taking the chance of running the new GPU and maybe doin a full system stress test to see if it can handle it? I’m not looking to do any crazy gaming, just occasional light usage. I’ve read online that the GTX 1050 Ti will run fine on my setup and I’ve read that it won’t as well.

Aug 14, 2019
Ok, so you have the 260w model. You would likely be ok with a 1050ti that doesn't need a 6-pin power connector.

Perfect that’s what I had read n some posts online but just wanted to verify. I got the 1050Ti cause it didn’t require a 6-pin power connector and also being a 75W card figured it would may have a problem powering from the mobo. I’ll run a stress test after I install the GPU to see that it can handle a full load. Thanks for the info it’s greatly appreciated!