Dell Optiplex 330 not booting into any operating system, any help greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2017
Hi,
I have a Dell Optiplex 330 with a Core 2 Duo at 2.8GHZ, 2GB DDR2 666MHZ, and a 120GB Sata Hard Drive.

It previously did not have any OS on it, just booted to bios screen. I tried installing Windows 10 and it gave me the error "whea uncorrectable error". I couldn't find a solution to this, and even after updating the bios to the latest one, it still wouldn't work.

Then I tried Windows 7 and Linux mint, in 32 and 64 bit, none worked. I have seen many Optiplex 330s with Windows 10 so I know it's not a compatibility issue. I have messed around in the bios and turned off 'fast boot' etc but no difference.

Any help in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Dylan.

Sep 18, 2017

Linux Mint crashed on installation as well. You know where it says automatic boot in [x] seconds? After it did that, the screen went black and nothing happened. Same with everything I've tried.

Sep 18, 2017

Ok, tried Linux Mint a few times now, booting off CD and USB and it still won't work. This isn't an issue with Linux or Windows I think its the pc

SirSub42

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Here are a couple of boot time options you can try

https://neosmart.net/wiki/0x0000124-whea-uncorrectable-error/

I misread the original error. Apparently it can involve a misconfiguration of your BIOS< which certainly would impact linux mint.

Sep 18, 2017

Thanks for finding me that article. Spent a few hours today swapping out all the components trying to find one that was faulty, and reset the bios and tried changing certain settings, still won't work. I'll either order a new motherboard or just give up on it now.

Thanks anyway for all the help.

Reactions: rstaccntunknown3
Jun 3, 2023

Thanks for finding me that article. Spent a few hours today swapping out all the components trying to find one that was faulty, and reset the bios and tried changing certain settings, still won't work. I'll either order a new motherboard or just give up on it now.

Thanks anyway for all the help.
I am currently having this issue. I also believe it is the motherboard as I ran the troubleshoot, and sometimes the GPU or ram fails even though im using the integrated graphics and not the gpu and have swapped out the ram, I still get errors. Thinking it has to do with the ram modules on the board dim slots I believe that is what they are called. Did you ever experiment with the new board? Thanks in advance!

USAFRet

Titan
I am currently having this issue. I also believe it is the motherboard as I ran the troubleshoot, and sometimes the GPU or ram fails even though im using the integrated graphics and not the gpu and have swapped out the ram, I still get errors. Thinking it has to do with the ram modules on the board dim slots I believe that is what they are called. Did you ever experiment with the new board? Thanks in advance!
Please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.
This one is 5 years old.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.