Question Dell optiplex 380 sff psu

Dec 12, 2019
I want to upgrade my 235w psu to 400w one to allow me to use a gtx 1050ti card , fitting parts inside is not really a goal as ill buy a new case for it . (Cpu is core 2 quad q9300)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like a standard ATX connector, replacing the power supply shouldn't be too difficult. So is the question which one to buy? (You might be able to get away with a 75W GPU with a 95W CPU, given the age though, it might pop)

Pretty sure that board is BTX though, so it won't really fit in any ATX cases, pretty much everything is in the wrong spot. Expansion slots are 'above' the I/O, I/O is non standard.

This is a situation where I think it is best to not spend the money on upgrades and look at something newer so that you can have upgrades without craziness.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Dec 12, 2019
Looks like a standard ATX connector, replacing the power supply shouldn't be too difficult. So is the question which one to buy? (You might be able to get away with a 75W GPU with a 95W CPU, given the age though, it might pop)

Pretty sure that board is BTX though, so it won't really fit in any ATX cases, pretty much everything is in the wrong spot. Expansion slots are 'above' the I/O, I/O is non standard.

This is a situation where I think it is best to not spend the money on upgrades and look at something newer so that you can have upgrades without craziness.
Yeah , so the case situation is bad , I figured that out , power supply will work , because I mangled an old acer * fire hazzard * power supply and it booted fine , as for cpu it draws 130w on a good day , and my gtx 1050ti pulls 75w , the mobo is fine , I have seen that some dell optiplex sff boards are limited to 25w on pcie slot , but mine isnt , the real question is will the 75w over load the 12v rail ?