Question Dell optiplex 390 DT Graphics card suggestions?

Feb 3, 2020
Hey guys, I've seen a few posts about this but they don't really satisfy my question.
I just bought an old Dell Optiplex 390 (Desktop version (DT), so not full size). I want to add a graphics card without having to upgrade my Power supply (standard 250W).
I only want it to speed up everyday use (videos/movies) and to play older games like Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Settlers 4, maybe some others. Can anyone recommend the best GPU that only needs power from the max 25W PCIe x16 port. Thanks!

Feb 3, 2020
Thanks! Do you have any recommendations for a bit older/cheaper one? Not sure if I need this one for the old games i wanna play. Also I’ve heard some people have trouble with the GT 1030 on this particular machine.

bryceberger

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Zotac GTX 1050 ti for sure if it fits, I would say the best all-around bang for your buck with budget graphic cards. I had one in my first gaming PC and I was using around a 250-watt power supply. This card does not need a 4 or 6 pin connection, it will just plug right into the PCI E slot and you are good to go. Don't forget to upgrade the drivers after you install it into the case if you go out and purchase it.

Zotac GTX 1050 ti for sure if it fits, I would say the best all-around bang for your buck with budget graphic cards.
This is NOT true....At all. Best performance you could get without external power (until the GTX1650 launched), sure. But that's not the same as bang-for-your-buck. Also, the OP has already seemingly done the research that the x16 slot in their machine is not 75W capable.

Feb 3, 2020
This is NOT true....At all. Best performance you could get without external power (until the GTX1650 launched), sure. But that's not the same as bang-for-your-buck. Also, the OP has already seemingly done the research that the x16 slot in their machine is not 75W capable.
Indeed, any other recommendation for an older card that would fit? Again, mostly old games and watching movies etc. Thanks again guys

The GDDR4 version of the GT1030 only has a 20W TDP. Maybe the 30W DDR5 version is what's causing people problems.

Below that, you're looking at a GT720. That's a pretty stark performance deficit compared to the GT1030, but I suppose it's reflected in the cost ($30 compared to $60).

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020
The GDDR4 version of the GT1030 only has a 20W TDP. Maybe the 30W DDR5 version is what's causing people problems.

Below that, you're looking at a GT720. That's a pretty stark performance deficit compared to the GT1030, but I suppose it's reflected in the cost ($30 compared to $60).
What about a GT 730, would that be similar to the 720?

I didn't explicitly say this before, so I feel like I should:
Just know that even the GT1030 GDDR4 would be ~2+ times faster than a GT720.

It's tough to find benchmarks of the older games you're mentioning, but:

The big downer here is your 25W slot limit. I get it. Tough to justify a $60 GPU on a system that's barely worth $100 without it. However, when most people would consider a GT1030 as "barely" playable, is spending $30 on a GT720 just $30 wasted then because it's still a sub-par experience?

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Assuming a 64-bit OS, I think the GT720 with it own memory, would be quite a bit better than the on-board graphics. Especially if the system only has 4GB of RAM installed. If it has the maximum 8GB installed, then it's less of a concern.

-Wolf sends

May 18, 2020
Zotac GTX 1050 ti for sure if it fits, I would say the best all-around bang for your buck with budget graphic cards. I had one in my first gaming PC and I was using around a 250-watt power supply. This card does not need a 4 or 6 pin connection, it will just plug right into the PCI E slot and you are good to go. Don't forget to upgrade the drivers after you install it into the case if you go out and purchase it.
I have tried this but it did not work,my PC just started to freak out,my gtx 1050ti fan stopped spinning,and no display at all,only the error number 3 on the diagnostic lights on the front,took it to warranty center and they said it was fine,not sure if this is for me only.

May 18, 2020
I have tried this but it did not work,my PC just started to freak out,my gtx 1050ti fan stopped spinning,and no display at all,only the error number 3 on the diagnostic lights on the front,took it to warranty center and they said it was fine,not sure if this is for me only.
FYI,also a Dell optiplex 390 but the MT one