Question Dell Optiplex 7010 ram upgrade.

Lutfij

Titan
Which form factor of the Dell OptiPlex's 7010 do you have? You can find the maximum ram upgrade you can perform by looking through their technical guidebook, here (page-13). We also need a link to the rams you're looking at.

Also, don't mix and match ram sticks, buy a kit(i.e matched sticks).

Oct 20, 2019
Which form factor of the Dell OptiPlex's 7010 do you have? You can find the maximum ram upgrade you can perform by looking through their technical guidebook, here (page-13). We also need a link to the rams you're looking at.

Also, don't mix and match ram sticks, buy a kit(i.e matched sticks).
Form factor DT the wider one and 2 8gb viper 3 cl9 sticks

Lutfij

Titan
How many threads do you need to initiate? You also need to be patient for a response/post/suggestion/answer. If you read the technical guide book I'd linked, you'll learn the maximum ram capacity is indeed 16GB but you've got 4 slots, divided the max capacity with the number of slots. You get a 4x4GB kit requirement for your Dell OptiPlex 7010 MT system.

Short answer; that kit you've linked won't work. 4x4GB DDR3-1600MHz 1.65v kit.

Oct 20, 2019
How many threads do you need to initiate? You also need to be patient for a response/post/suggestion/answer. If you read the technical guide book I'd linked, you'll learn the maximum ram capacity is indeed 16GB but you've got 4 slots, divided the max capacity with the number of slots. You get a 4x4GB kit requirement for your Dell OptiPlex 7010 MT system.

What brand and kit do you recommend and I just want to use two slots to get 16gb

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What brand and kit do you recommend and I just want to use two slots to get 16gb

You can't. Did you not read @Lutfij 's post, that you quoted/replied to, which stated:

If you read the technical guide book I'd linked, you'll learn the maximum ram capacity is indeed 16GB but you've got 4 slots, divided the max capacity with the number of slots. You get a 4x4GB kit requirement for your Dell OptiPlex 7010 MT system.

If you have 4 slots, and the maximum RAM the system can take is 16GB, then you cannot use a 2x8GB setup.

EDIT: there might be some confusion due to page 13 of the linked PDF, as it makes mention of the DIMM Capacity being 8GB for all four variants of the Optiplex 7010. However, in the memory configuration list below that, it explicitly mentions that 2x16GB is only possible for the USFF variant.

That seems a little strange, but that is what Dell specifies.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I tried checking Crucial as well, but the highest one I saw for the Optiplex 7010 Desktop was 2x4 kits,

EDIT: Oh, wait, there's a "view more" button I missed :rolleyes:

Huh, they do offer a 2x8GB. Strange that they'd list that for something other than the USFF version, and I see now about the 32GB max they're claiming.

I would be surprised if Crucial got it wrong. Unless Dell's documentation is incorrect?

My suggestion for @80teesBaby is this: Email Crucial first, and ask them about if they guarantee compatibility. Let them know exactly which Optiplex 7010 system you have, and also provide the link to the documentation. If Crucial is CERTAIN that it'll work, and willing to offer a money-back guarantee on it, then give it a shot with the 2x8 kit they have.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS