Dell OptiPlex 755 SFF problem

Solution

QuackDuck

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

Okay, so the cord going into the front panel? I have to detach it so the front panel is disabled. If I don't do that, the power light goes green for a few seconds and then restarts, and just keeps doing that.

Sound like the cable or the front panel is damaged. Because a damage to the audio sockets doesn't normally have hat effect, I would take a closer look to the usb ports. any devices plugged into it ? Mechanically damaged socket ?

QuackDuck

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

Yes, I want to run the PC without the front panel, but how do I stop it from displaying the message at startup that the front panel isn't detected. I have to press F1 in order to get it to boot up. BIG nuisance when the computer restarts at night to install updates. In the morning, I have to press F1, and then sit there and wait for all the updates to install.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Unfortunately that is a feature built into the BIOS. The only thing that MAYBE would let you shut it off is in the BIOS look for "Chassis Intrusion Detection" and shut that off. It is doubtful that is selectable.

If not I suggest removing the front panel switches from the panel and leaving them plugged in.

QuackDuck

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

How do I remove the front panel switches?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Looking at it looks like you would need to cut the plastic around them, cut that whole section of panel out.

Solution