[SOLVED] Dell Optiplex 760 Graphics Card Advice Please

Aug 17, 2020
Hi to everyone on this great forum,

I have a Dell Optiplex 760 which I bought a few years back and recently upgraded with an 240GB SSD then swapped out the 4GB RAM for 8GB DDR2 RAM from an old Mesh pc that doesn't work anymore. I would like to install a basic graphics card so that I can have modern connections eg HDMI, improve video quality playback on Youtube etc and play older games such as Half Life 2 on decent settings and the odd game such as Fortnite on low settings.

I believe the GT 710 2GB DDR5 (approx £42) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GT710...074Q4QF4J/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

and GT 1030 2GB DDR5 (approx £69) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-NVIDIA...071NW37J8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

are the most suitable cards as they are both low profile even though the GT's are not designed for gaming. I know the advice may be it is not worth it and I should just purchase a better pc, however as someone not technically minded I have enjoyed upgrading the pc so far and have developed an enthusiasm to continue, plus there would be no fun for me in taking the obvious easy route.

So based on my requirements are the above two my only choices or are their alternate cards of a similar value that will perform better ?

Is the additional £30 worth spending on the GT 1030 as my understanding is that this card is a huge improvement over the GT 710 ?

I have provided my specs below to help and would of course very much appreciate the advice from the knowledgeable members on this forum.

Dell Optiplex 760
Intel Pentium E5300 Dual Core
Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
Kingston A400 240 GB SSD
8GB DDR2 RAM

Jay.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Thanks for the advice and the link, I am tempted now as the cost of that is only slightly more than the 710 I was leaning towards and am aware it is a better performing card from reviews I have seen.
Dell Optiplex 760 Brochure
The question is which version of the 760 do you have; the Desktop with a 255 watt PSU or the Small Form Factor with it's 235 watt PSU? The GT 730 does have a slightly higher power requirement (38 watts vs 30 for the GT 1030).

-Wolf sends