Dell Optiplex 760 - worth upgrading to SSD and higher ram, or should I just invest in something else?

mccormackjason

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
Hi folks,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma about what to do with regard to my ageing Dell Optplex 760 desktop.

Specs are as follows:
4 gb DDR2-SDRAM (PC2-6400 / 800 MHz)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz
Motherboard:
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Product 0G214D
Chipset Intel Q45/Q43
Southbridge Intel ICH10D

I recently purchased an Asus NVIDIA Gt 710 2 GB graphics card, as Windows 10 (the operating system) wasn't supporting the ASUS Radeon EAH4350 GPU I had in.

To be honest, all I use the 760 for is internet browsing, listening to music, MS Office Suite and watching videos - nothing really intensive.However, the computer is sluggish running windows 10 (I know that 8gb ram is recommended) and it does take quite a while on boot up.

I prefer not to buy new tech if I can avoid it, so my question is (sorry finally!).

Should I just try and speed my current system by buying a second hand SSD and taking the RAM up to 8GB?

Or, because the CPU is only dual core, should I consider investing in another second hand desktop - there are some pretty good offers out there on Ebay. I could possibly get hold of either a reconditioned HP Z400 or HP 8200 Elite on ebay for between £100-£150 if I'm lucky in the bidding (and I would then transfer the new GPU I have over to the new machine).

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks :)

Solution
An SSD will suddenly make any old system into a champ without the RAM upgrade, because the swap file is now literally flying compared to what it was. An SSD can also be ported to another unit in the future. I'd try that first with nothing else and see if you're satisfied. If not, a newer used machine with your new SSD might be the cure.

Mark RM

Admirable
An SSD will suddenly make any old system into a champ without the RAM upgrade, because the swap file is now literally flying compared to what it was. An SSD can also be ported to another unit in the future. I'd try that first with nothing else and see if you're satisfied. If not, a newer used machine with your new SSD might be the cure.

Solution

Mark RM

Admirable
For a casual user, they still outperform most of the low end garbage on single threaded tasks. I mean, if you found a Q6600 and some more 2GB dimms for say 20 bucks total it wouldn't hurt, But I'd treat that machine like a 20 year old car and drive it until it died.

mccormackjason

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017

LOL, well considering I've only owned two cars in my life, and one of them was bought from Ebay, I will apply your car principle to my desktop Mark thank you! Would the Q6600 slot straight on to my motherboard to replace the current cpu? No adaptors needed or anything?

Mark RM

Admirable
I've done it as a drop in upgrade, it's not supported by Dell of course. Flash your BIOS to the latest revision before changing the processor. Officially supported drop in upgrades are Q8200 Q8300 Q9505 Q8400 Q9400. Of those I'd use the Q8400, Q 9400, Q9505, whatever is cheaper.

mccormackjason

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017

Thanks Mark - I'll have a look and see what's out there. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-OptiPlex-760-----------------/3231
This is what others are doing with these. The Low profileGTX 1050 has a hard mounted DVI port in the 2nd slot that might be an issue on the DT. if you can't resolve that then GTX750Ti is 2nd best (by a lot).
There is a full height GPU riser kit available. Sold out at this link so for photo only. I haven't used this but maybe the Zotac GTX1050Ti Mini will fit.
https://toptechbuy.com/products/dell-hx727-g5459-optiplex-330-360-740-755-760-pci-pci-e-riser-board-assembly-for-desktop-systems-bracket-part-number-wy116
Q9650 is best CPU, Q9550 is popular 2nd choice. The GPU is where you should spend your money Zotac GTZ1050Ti Low Profiles the best choice. It can move forward to a newer machine. 8GB DDR2 RAM will be required for a 2GB o4GB GPU. RW134 is the Quad Core heatpipe cooler for desktops.
http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/d/e/rw134-dell-optiplex-755-socket-lga-775-heatsink-e80204dd81f411b538e9f2d4eb0368e4.jpg

Reactions: testsubject2575