Question Dell optiplex asks to go to config utility during boot

Jan 8, 2023
I have added a ssd to my dell optiplex 780 and a new 1tb hdd, the ssd has windows.
The computer now boots up really quick and no problems at all but I get a bios screen showing non raid disks on boot asking to press ctrl-i and go into config utility? Is this normal? Can I get rid of this by changing anything? If you wait 5 to 10 seconds it starts booting windows fine

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which form factor do you have?

Make sure that your motherboard BIOS is up to date for the OptiPlex. Then, check and see what your storage controller in BIOS is set to(this is where the issue might lie).

Do you have other drives in the prebuilt alongside the SSD? To add, what platform did the SSD come off of? If the SSD was migrated from a platform that isn't the same as your OptiPlex, you will need to reinstall the OS.

Reactions: Dan 7864
Jan 8, 2023
Hi thanks for the response

I have updated my bios from A01 to the latest A15 (this fixed my ram compatibility issue)

Original dell hdd removed and replaced with seagate barracuda 1tb hdd
Kingston ssd added

I first loaded a fresh copy of Windows 10 to the hdd as the bootable device then I used macrium to clone to the ssd I fitted then changed boot order the the ssd and cleared the hdd.

Everything is running fine and windows 10 boots super quick but I just get this message, it doesn't affect anything and you only need to wait around 5 seconds for it to disappear and windows starts (mainly this is just my OCD lol)

There's 3 options in bios

Auto detect raid/Ahci
Auto detect raid/ide
Raid
Legacy

It was originally set to raid (with this issue)
I haven't tried all others and first two won't boot windows, legacy boots only from the hdd not ssd

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
IDK the exact name of the program, but many of the Dell Optiplex systems were used (for instance) in the government sector where they had these set up with 2X drives for redundancy. I have a machine here that does this exact thing every time you boot. If there is only one drive it pops a message up and with two, what you are seeing. Not sure there is anything to turn off to make it stop asking.

Reactions: Dan 7864
Jan 8, 2023
IDK the exact name of the program, but many of the Dell Optiplex systems were used (for instance) in the government sector where they had these set up with 2X drives for redundancy. I have a machine here that does this exact thing every time you boot. If there is only one drive it pops a message up and with two, what you are seeing. Not sure there is anything to turn off to make it stop asking.
Yeah I was thinking this, thanks for the help though greatly appreciated
I will just live with it

Jan 8, 2023
Ok so I fixed it

Probably me being silly lol

I erased both ssd and hdd on another pc then set the sata operation on the dell in bios to auto detect raid/ahci (default is just raid)
Then ran a usb image of win 10 to the ssd later added hdd and added a volume.

No more message on boot, boots straight to win 10 really fast!

So my problem was not setting the sata operation prior to fresh win 10 install

Oops .....thanks for help tho guys!