Question Dell Optiplex expansion slot lock broke

Sep 8, 2019
The lock for the expansion slot on my dell optiplex broke... should I be worried? The main thing that I think will happen is the card will get loose while im using it and shut off, please give me advice.

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to share the model and form factor for your OptiPlex. If there are screw mounting holes, you could get away with a thin ziptie. You could also use a ziptie to latch the slot on the chassis. This is all based on the assumption that the plastic latch was ripped out. To that extent, might want to share a picture of how badly you've broken the slot.

You're not referring to the PCIe slot on the motherboard, now, are you...?

Sep 8, 2019
Thanks for the reply.
  1. Yes there are screw hole and I will probably use that to hold it in
  2. The latch is completely off however I've been using it for a day and nothing has happened.
  3. Optiplex 790 Mini Tower

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The broken lock tab should not be an issue unless you move your PC around... PCs never had that tab in the early days, that was added after graphics cards got a lot bigger.

Mine broke off a while ago and i have no issues. That stupid tab is heard to reach when you have a very large graphics card which covers the tab. i was certain I unlocked the tab and it still broke off.