Dell Optiplex gx280 maximum RAM?

tooplanx

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
Hi everyone,

I've upgraded my gx280 to 4GB of RAM, allegedly the maximum, but in my OS (elementary OS 64bit [based on Ubuntu 12.04]) it's only showing 2.9GB available. I have also upgraded the CPU to the P4 3.4ghz which is 64bit capable. All the units are working and the BIOS shows them all present and working, but the 64bit OS only recognises 2.9GB.

Any ideas? I've looked around alot and it doesn't seem to be an issue with the OS. People have mentioned memory remapping (for other systems) but that isn't an option on the Dell BIOS.

Other forums have hinted at there perhaps being a problem with some intergrated chipsets having an issue addressing a full 4GB (despite being 64bit compatible), but other people on these forums seem to be using 4GB RAM on the optiplex gx280.

Can anyone confirm that they are using a full 4GB on the gx280? Anyone have any idea what might be limiting the RAM in the OS?

Thanks very much in advance!

tooplanx

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013

Hi,

The board has 4 slots capable of taking 1gb each, which is what I have done. I've checked with memory check and all the modules work and are recognised by the bios.

tooplanx

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
Hi, thanks for the help.

I think it must be something to do with the chipset not allocating the RAM fully.

Doesn't matter now anyway as I've acquired a better pc so will be passing that one off to relatives.