Dell Optiplex GX280 Upgrade Question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So.. yes, thats right i`m getting this message which saying that this CPU is incompatible etc..

I can try another CPU - Pentium 550 (3,4) from my friend- it works good with his computer on Intel D915GEV motherboard and i think that chip of this motherboard is like my - 915G - its the same family of chips so it will be a very good test try this CPU (which works good in i think the same chip) in my computer with the same 915G chip, because my friend has a Intel D915GEV motherboard - and according intel webside it has a 915 G chip and my optiplex gx280 has a 915G chip too. so it will be cool but He has a computer with factory 300 W PSU and in gx280 is 160 W so this is possible cause, because processors from Intel Pentium 4 family with 5xx code consume 115W of Power.

but in my opinion, if not enought power was a cause, the warning message wouldnt have appeared, beacuse it apperas quickly, regardless what is changed in computer for example upgrade BIOS or change some components.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
the 6x0 series of CPUs work in the Dell. That fact sheet is incorrect. Go to the Dell forums and see all those people who have used the 6x0 processors.

Wisc7, Celeron D is SINGLE CORE.

G

joefriday, so in your opinion - only the 6x0 series work in Dell? so the 5xx series is incompatible for dell and dell`s motherboard? so neither of them dosent work in dell? ok.. i will go on dell`s forum and read about this
I think that there are some mistakes on intel webside - about 915 chip etc.. Which of these processors are compatible with this board etc Its incorrect...

G

Unfortunately, i upgraded BIOS earlier, previously it was A03 rev. of BIOS and now it is A08 but it wasnt helpful :(

Clrwk85, so You have a Pentium 650 - 3,4 Ght right? but without some problems this CPU started work with Gx280?Because, according the Intel webside and Dell.com too, there are some infos about that this family od Pentium 4 (both 5xx series and 6x0 too) are supported by motherboard and chip- but i think its false;/

clrwk85

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
There was no problem changing the old cpu to newer 650.

Any1 know if Celereon D will work? This is dual core processor, isn`t it?

G

And besides this CPU (Pentium IV 650 3,4 Ghz), did you try with other model pentium? like 5xx series? becasuse i dont know is 5xx Pentium supported by dell chip? and work in it? only 6x0 series or other series of pentium 4 family too?..

and Celeron D i think is single core processor,(Pentium D is dual core) but i dont know is this CPU (Celeron D) compatible etc..

clrwk85

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I used factory defulat pentium IV 520J before and worked just fine too :) You should take stepping under consideration, with this mobo only A1 and B1 are ok, rest would not work (besides, i don`t really know what it is :)

G

Hmm, right now, i`m just using a factory - P IV 520 - 2,8 Ghz and i want to try a little upgrade - processor is first thing which i want to change, but pentium 560 - dosent work in this gx280,

so according CPU-Z i have a dell optiplex gx280/ i915G - B1 rev. - so is this ok?
Here are some infos about mobo (CPU-Z) so i think this chip is ok and would work...

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
TBH I'm not sure why the 560 is not working for you. I would think that if a 520 and 650 would work, the 560 should also work. Have you been able to test this 560 CPu on any other computer?

G

So.. this is a situation like that..
Today i tested 560 CPU on my friend`s computer with Asus Motherboard and it works very good, and i tested another Pentium 5xx model - 550 (3,4 Ghz) on my GX280 and it doesnt work too like 560...(both 560 CPU and 550 is not faulty) so i am bugged.. i dont know why 560 & 550 Pentium isnt working?.. :cry:
I think there is a trick in Dell computers...
only Pentium 520-540 models will be work and all series 6x0 (but 6x1 will not work..) it is the whole truth..

wisc7

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
try plugging an external power supply in. it wont fit in the case but you can at least see if it works...

yeah 540 works fine in the dells(which is what i have). i may have read someone had a 550 working too possibly... but i knew before i bought mine that others had it going too...not sure about anything much faster...

G

Unfortunately, I tried with PSU changing already, but it still doesnt work;/
so I think that the first thing i will do - try with 650 CPU because it should work..

so Clrwk85, thanks for this infos about Radeon but now first, i try this 650 CPU, i hope it will work on this Optiplex.

mchc715

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Wanted to share this with everyone who is interested in gaming with their GX280:
I recently got both the 660 and 650 P4 CPU chip and only got the 650 to work after upgrading the Dell BIOS to V08.

Here is my current system:
Pentium 4 650 3.4ghz hyperthreading enabled
GX280 mobo V08
Sigma La Vie case /w crap 500 W PSU
Corsair 2GB DDR2-800mhz (x2)
WD Raptor-X 150 gig 10K RPM HD
and...
EVGA GTX260 216 SSC edition

Here's an important tip: You CAN change the PSU. I ripped the DELL motherboard out of case and inserted into something else, attaching it with duct tape and metalic clips (had the computer for 9 months, so far it's safe). You need to bring the GX280's power switch along with the cables that attaches to those propertary sockets. Whenever, I turn on the computer, I have to reach for back and push what's left of the power switch.

I ran 3Dmark2001 SE and got a 18885 on 1168X768 2x AA. It's not bad, since I can run all AAA games on max, except grand theft auto 4. GTA4 is barely playable even with all graphics on low. An important note: your upgrade CPU is gonna overheat and activate thermal throttling if you put the graphics settings too high because the factory heatsink and blower stinks. My GTX260 can handle it, but the CPU will crash if I push it too hard.

I'm not going to check this thread anymore, since I got my computer to work, but if anyone has questions, email me at mchc715@gmail.com. GL.

Unfortunately, I tried with PSU changing already, but it still doesnt work;/
so I think that the first thing i will do - try with 650 CPU because it should work..

so Clrwk85, thanks for this infos about Radeon but now first, i try this 650 CPU, i hope it will work on this Optiplex.

Bill-S

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I was hoping I could mount a dual core for this desktop, AND play GTA4 on it!! Dammit, you telling me that's a no go? I bought the mobo and case for $5 today, no other parts though

mchc715

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Whatever, it's friday, got nothing better to do.

GTA 4 is a definite no-go. The best CPU the GX280 will support is the Pentium 4 650 3.4ghz. If you still want to venture into making use of your $5 mobo and case, get the P4 cpu and get Saint's Row 2 for PC.

That is pretty much GTA4 with lower requirements (runs great depending on your video card). It's got free online play (using Gamespy) and pretty fun. There's co-op and a variety of deathmatch-type modes.

I figured out a cooling solution to the crappy blower. For those who have replaced the case with a ATX tower, you can just stick a 80mm fan on the bottom side of the blower, blowing upwards. The 80mm fan needs a velcro sticker (go to Staples) in the center of the fan (non-spinning side). Put the other velcro on the bottom of the blower. The fan will blow up through the blades of the heat sink and force air upwards, while the blower will still suck out air to the left.

xyphur

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Not sure if this thread is dead yet, but I have a few pointers on the GX280 SFF as well that I thought I'd share inncase anyone comes wandering in here like I did.

I've done extensive research on the CPU upgrade path for this machine, and according to multiple sources (Intel Support documents, Dell Forums, and other websites), the CPUs compatible with this machine based on the 915 chipset and the fact that there is apparently NO 64-bit CPU support (EM64T) in the BIOS, would dictate that the P4 570 is the upper limit (thermal and power considerations notwithstanding). This apparently is not true, as was stated earlier.

Any 5x0 model will work, with adequate power and cooling.
Any of the 6x0 models should work also, considering that someone above stated they have a 650 running in their GX280. This seems to contradict the fact that the Intel specs show that these processors are 64-bit enabled, though they are still using the same 90nm process as the 5xx series chips. The 6x1 chips use the 65nm process, so perhaps this is where the difference comes in.

Concerning the 5x1 & 6x0/6x1/6x2 models, while the Intel documentation says that they will work on 915 chipset based boards, these processors are "Intel 64-bit Architecture" enabled - And according to Intel documentation specifically for these processors, they will FAIL TO BOOT on a machine that doesn't have 64-bit support in the BIOS - even for 32-bit operation! Bottom line: Dell left out 64-bit BIOS support, so we cannot use these chips in the GX280. Simple as that, or so you would think... The exception here being the 6x0 models, which are listed as having 64-bit, but also seem to be the only ones out of the three different models that work in our machines, and only so far being tested up to the 650.

*** If anyone has a 6x0 series chip higher than the 650 running in a GX280, I'd like to hear about it please! ***

Now, as far as power is concerned, you do have another option, one that many people seem to overlook. Use a 1U server power supply, as it is almost *identical* in size to the stock 210W slim & long PSU. Many online retailers sell these, often upwards of 400w - just find one that's ATX12V compliant with a sufficient power rating for the video card & processor you intend on running together. You may have some slight dremel work to perform in the back for the AC plug to be accessible, but that's a hell of alot easier than trying to mount the mobo in a case it wasn't designed for (seeing as there's no standard-pattern mounting holes on Dell boards).

For cooling this compact little beast, our options are somewhat limited... I personally cut a section the same size as the 60mm fan on my video card from the metal cage on the PCI riser, and added a PCI slot cooler exhausting the air collected in and around that area out the rear. I've also eliminated the metal mesh and two hard sections of the case behind where the CPU blower exhausts as well, to aid in airflow. Temps went down considerably... Adding a small 40mm fan to the chipset heatsink isn't a bad idea either - that thing gets bloody hot without one.

Before I started doing my research, I located and bought myself a P4 672 3.8GHz 2MB HT 64-bit CPU with Intel Virtualization Technology (that's where the 2 comes in, as opposed to the 671 which is essentially the same processor without virtualization)... Well, suffice to say it didn't work. :p But that hasn't stopped me from messing about with this nice little machine. Even with the stock 3.00GHz P4 530, It has no issues with Vista Ultimate, running 4GB of Corsair XMMS2 @ 4-4-4-12 (only 3GB of which are available for use - but the 4 x 1024MB setup allows for dual-channel operation), and currently an XFX Geforce 7200GS that's been seriously overclocked. Looking at locating a P4 570 chip somewhere, and a higher end low-profile nvidia card now that the power supply isn't an issue any longer.

Best of luck to everyone modding and maxing out the lovely GX280 SFF :)

nikolas22t

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Will ASUS EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2 512MB PCI-E or MSI R4350-D512H 512MB PCI or GIGABYTE GEFORCE 9400GT CUDA GV-N94TOC-512I 512MB PCI-E or GIGABYTE RADEON HD4550 GV-R455D3-512I 512MB PCI-E work on Dell DX280 ?

sonabalam

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009

hey are u using 512 MB ATI Radeon card and is it PCI Express pls let me know i also want to use good graphics card i have DELL GX280 SERIES with INTELL 2.8 Pentium 4 pls suggest me my email is sonabalam@yahoo.ca, iam waiting for ur rerply thanks
sona

TFB

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I have a quick question about the GX280 SMT. I need to replace the hard drive. According to the Dell PDF, it says it supports up to a 250gb Sata HDD. I realize this is a 5 year old computer and maybe 250gb was the limit then.

Has anyone gone higher than 250gb?

G

Hi there!

Could someone point me in the right direction what kind of power supplies I can
build into one of the SFF GX280s? I have a hard time finding anything suitable, the
original power supply only has 160 Watt, and I'm not so sure if that is sufficient for
a graphic card like a HD4350 or a 8400GS.

Cheers,
Fabian

Status
Not open for further replies.