Question DELL OptiPlex SX280 max upgrade

Dec 2, 2021
Hello, I have an old Optiplex SX280 (Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM, 70GB HDD) with Windows XP that my dad got for free.

However the thing is the specs are too old for what he needs (like online work meetings, documents for work, etc) and right now I can't buy a new computer for my dad.. I heard you could upgrade it to a Intel Celeron D (Pentium 4 is better and faster so I'll use a Pentium 4) and 4GB RAM, and a better GPU and a better HDD.

The question is, how much will it cost to do so? How much do I have to spend to get it done?

Thank you.
:langue:

Also here is what the PC and the specs are:
mypc.png

Last edited:
I would not reccomend spending any money on upgrading that system, as I believe it would be a waste of money. Even with upgrades it will still be slow and not very useable in 2021.

The Celeron D lineup is a tier below the Pentium 4 lineup, being essentially just a Pentium 4 with disabled cache. Still single core, not dual core like the name might imply. The machine does appear to use an LGA775 socket, but I am unsure of if you can upgrade past a Pentium 4. Many very early LGA775 machines like this do not support Core 2 CPUs.

4gb ram will help the system run a modern OS, but the outdated processors will make the system incredibly slow browsing todays internet, running a newer operating system, etc.

If you do upgrade the hard drive, It would be wiser to upgrade to an SSD instead of a mechanical drive.

Reactions: King_V
Dec 2, 2021
Dec 2, 2021
I would not reccomend spending any money on upgrading that system, as I believe it would be a waste of money. Even with upgrades it will still be slow and not very useable in 2021.

The Celeron D lineup is a tier below the Pentium 4 lineup, being essentially just a Pentium 4 with disabled cache. Still single core, not dual core like the name might imply. The machine does appear to use an LGA775 socket, but I am unsure of if you can upgrade past a Pentium 4. Many very early LGA775 machines like this do not support Core 2 CPUs.

4gb ram will help the system run a modern OS, but the outdated processors will make the system incredibly slow browsing todays internet, running a newer operating system, etc.

If you do upgrade the hard drive, It would be wiser to upgrade to an SSD instead of a mechanical drive.

First of all, I will not use Windows 10 on it. I am still going to stay on XP. (maybe dualboot linux?) :miam: It's not that slow, actually. Just when I use utubez. Cus html5z. :sad: Also thank you for telling me about how Celeron D is just crappy. :pfff:

This also isn't my main PC. This PC is just at my DADs. I have a way better PC. :hap:

Last edited:
I wouldn't let your dad run windows XP for a computer he will use often. It's too much of a security risk. 20 year old OS that has been unsupported without security patches for 7 years (with one exception).

Linux would be a better idea, but even then it's not going to be very quick, probably quite the opposite

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, even for just web browsing, on the web as it exists today, it's going to be painful...

I tried something like that with Linux a couple of years ago on a 3.4 or 3.6GHz Pentium 4 with 2GB RAM.

The particular machine I was using had a motherboard that could only go up to 2GB RAM. A different PC with a slower P4 I had would support 4GB, but I didn't have the RAM sticks for it.

A few very simple websites it could manage. But some, I'd hear the cooling fan roar like a jet as the CPU maxed out, and it would take several seconds for the browser to respond even to the Page Up/Page Down keys.

That was at least 4 years ago.

I think a cheap, basic office PC would be a far better idea, and would blow the P4 system away.

Dec 2, 2021
What is your actual total budget for this?
Eh, might just give him the better towers with intel core 2 duo cpu sitting somewhere :spamafote:
But still in those towers the hard drive is dying and stuff etc...

And my dad has money but like the other side of the family doesn't.:hum:

Also i got this pentium pc for free :benetton:

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021
I wouldn't let your dad run windows XP for a computer he will use often. It's too much of a security risk. 20 year old OS that has been unsupported without security patches for 7 years (with one exception).

Linux would be a better idea, but even then it's not going to be very quick, probably quite the opposite
Distros for different things exist. There is probably a really good distro that is tiny and lightweight (like dsl, but is that still supported?) i dunno :spamafote:

Dec 2, 2021
Also DSL is dang small linux, also the CD drive is broken. It doesn't look broken but their might be a piece of dust or dirt stopping it from working. So, what are the max specs for like this Optiplex SX280 series?

Dec 2, 2021
Even at $0, that P4 is a useless pile of junk for what he needs it to do.

And? Even though Intel Pentium 4's are outdated, this old PC still has a sentimental value for me.

I will still be using them, and I don't care. :pt1cable:

I'm crazy for using this P4 in 2021, I know. It might of had been a better CPU to use until like 2010, but still, I still want to use this.

USAFRet

Titan
And? Even though Intel Pentium 4's are outdated, this old PC still has a sentimental value for me.

I will still be using them, and I don't care. :pt1cable:

I'm crazy for using this P4 in 2021, I know. It might of had been a better CPU to use until like 2010, but still, I still want to use this.
I had a string of P4 space heaters.
They were OKish, in their time.

Sentimental value? That all on you.
I have a sentimental attachment to the Commodore C64 out in the garage in a box.
That doesn't mean I'm going to leverage that thing into a usable "PC".