Dell P2815Q 28-Inch Ultra HD Monitor Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vincent67

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
But is 4K resolution a waste on anything below 40'' ?
If you have to scale everything, I don't see other interest than a little quality improvement.

Even funnier is that a good 1680x1050 screen usually costs more than a decent 1080 screen right now. 16:9 is fine for games and media, but the extra height on 16:10 is very important for productivity and as such I'm loath to move away from it. I hope some day soon I'll be able to upgrade to a 1600p IPS panel, but I doubt those prices will ever become reasonable.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
If that was intended for me, yes the 30Hz 4K desktop on the Seiki is for normal browsing, programming, videos, etc. and works just acceptably. I use a display profile in AMD Catalyst to switch to 1080p@120Hz for gaming.

Oddly, I had to disable the AMD HDMI Audio device and use the motherboard audio to make it stop blanking the display periodically. I'm not sure if that is an artifact of the modified monitor BIOS, HDMI to DisplayPort Active Adapter, AMD graphics card/driver or something else, but I've worked around it. [edit]Got the blanking issue fixed with a different monitor driver and some EDID editing for a few low res modes, so the AMD HDMI Audio works now.[/edit]

InvalidError

Titan

That is exactly what I meant by 1080p wiping out just about everything else - prices have dropped so low that anything lower is not really worth considering and the gap for stepping up to anything better is so large it makes no sense to most people. With production volumes an order of magnitude if not two larger than just about any other resolution, the other resolutions have no chance of matching the cost effectiveness.

If 4K displays continue dropping in price as quickly as they have been for the past year, 4K could very well end up being the next low-cost display resolution within the next three years.

I wish I had a 1600p display too but those have been losing pricing ground to 1440p for the last many years and the number of 1600p models on the market has dropped considerably over time as well. This is simply the power of the market at work, dictating to manufacturers which display sizes, resolutions and aspect ratios will get successfully mass-manufactured and achieve economies of scale.

B4vB5

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

Ok, fair point. But since I still have to pay usd-to-euro 1:1 prices for the Samsung 28-590 or the 287 Asus, my Euro bet is still with the 50 inch TV. For the US I guess it becomes more up to what you want.

I have 2x27s and they are too wide for my neck in the long run although I've had for em 3 yrs now. The 1x50 would be perfect, especially since my need is real estate desktop and not (quickpaced) games.

pereirdp

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
What a joke! These manufacturers have been dragging their feet with TN panels, deliberately withholding 60Hz IPS panels, and here Apple comes along andreleases a 5K (15 mega pixel) IPS monitor with computer built-in for $2499

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Even for movies, unless there's a 24p mode, it wouldn't be good. Movies are shot at 23.976fps i believe (dubbed 24fps, 24p or 24Hz if you prefer)

DisplayJunkie

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014

There are extremely few monitors which can playback 24p correctly anyway, I have no doubt that this one can't either. Not that I think 3:2 pulldown is the worst thing in the world, but turns out it won't matter anyway because a) it can only do 60Hz @ 1080p, so scaled it will be less sharp than a native display and b) contrast levels are horrendous for movie watching anyway.

This display is pretty much just a way to display multiple documents/excel sheets as a 2nd monitor. I can't think of many other useful usage scenarios. A hard sell at $500.

larsoncc

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

um, yes.

For BF4, DigitalStorm's benches peg your setup at about 50, and I'm willing to bet that's about right, given my own setup. 90 isn't on max settings like you're saying.

There's plenty more games with issues for your setup, and more on their way. Here's a few of the games your graphics cards can't play on highest settings at 4K/60:
Metro Last Light,
Metro Last Light Redux (have to turn to high to hit mid 50s)
Thief (have to turn down to Normal to hit 50s)
Hitman Absolution (can hit 60 if AA is off)
Far Cry 3 (Medium with no AA)
Crysis 3 (Very High gets ~30)
Shadow of Mordor (20-30fps, ultra textures not running on that setup)

Other issues:
Total War: Rome 2 and Shogun 2 plays movies on 1/2 screen
Civ V load screens / movies
Batman: Arkham City - mouse is borked

But whatever, give it about 6-12 months, and 4K will be rocking it. I hope. I certainly think it's got potential.

Thank you, that's what I'm saying! Surprised at how my post was received.
If you can't get good performance at1440p in a game, you'd choose to go down to 1080p, and it frankly looks funny. 1440p is one of these odd resolutions that I can't wait to see go away. And it really is going away, given the availability of UHD making it a bit unnecessary (ASUS ROG aside).

Add to that that we're already getting to the point where 4K is cheaper, and you've got outdated tech. No one is going to give 1440p a second thought in two-three years.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I'm wondering why Dell isn't announcing a Gsync monitor yet. Nearly all the others have something coming soon or about to hit. Unless AMD's solution is far cheaper (remains to be seen how much scaler makers charge for their work, how much monitor makers tack on etc) and works JUST AS GOOD, I'm pretty much Gsync or bust on my next monitor purchase. A monitor without one of these techs is useless to me at this point. My monitors still work fine, so barring a death of one of them soon, I can wait this out for another 6-12 months I hope. I need a 20nm gpu and a broadwell first anyway...LOL.

InvalidError

Titan

The thing is the key principles behind AMD/VESA's FreeSync are part of the DisplayPort 1.2a spec and are provided royalty-free. They were unofficially part of the DP spec even before that since DP's packet-based protocol with multiplexed multiple display capability meant displays have to be able to cope with irregular data feed. FreeSync effectively makes zero-sync an official part of the DP spec.

BwwwJ1st

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
Loving my Dell UP2414Q I got 3 months ago for $850. 2160p at 60Hz is awesome on a 24" IPS. When my 2 Titan Blacks can't push 4K at a full 60 FPS then I can run the monitor 1440p @ 85Hz. When browsing the net I switch to 1080p @ 85Hz.

mjnhstyle100x

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
ust my opinion of course, but I think that's a completely different situation than moving up to a completely new eye candy world of 2560x1440. I still love my 25.5" Samsung's extra viewing height. It is hard to beat without moving up entirely to a new screen size and resolution, which is what I did with a Dell U2713H. With HDTVs being 1080p, it was only logical that LCD screen manufacturers focus on 1080p monitor screens for the mainstream markets. Simply put, 1920x1200 monitors were not manufactured in high capacity and hence the higher pricing. But you probably are right though...QHD will not be mainstream ever like 1080p.
http://bestgamingmonitors.net/

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
30hz = no buy.

Waiting for a 120hz 3840x2160 monitor with a DisplayPort 1.3 - you know, the one that actually supports 2160p resolutions. Preferably an IPS display [continues dreaming].

ShawnT007

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013

So my Samsung U28D590D monitor hooked up to my 290x in crossfire, with full custom XSPC liquid cooling, and i7 4770k, 16 gigs 2100mhz, 1300watt PSU (i could keep going) "ISNT" me gaming in 4K??? wow... so these screenshots (that are 30Meg files so I cant upload them cause they have so much information) that show BF4 running at 90+fps max settings (MSAAx2 just cause you dont need anymore than that in 4k lol) arent screenshots of 4k? Or what about these screenshots that make ESO look so good that you cant even believe its the same game... Thats not 4k bruh?? lol -- YEAH I DID IT RIGHT HOMIE - Thanks for playing tho!

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Very Happy with my 32 inch Asus 4K display running at 60hz and display port since day one. Powered by 2 gtx &80 classifieds. Its been rough sailing in the beginning but after a couple driver updates and tweaking I can manage most games at descent playing fps. Including BF4 in ultra getting about 40 fps. May upgrade to a third 780 to improve the games that are coming up.

B4vB5

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

While that is true, that computer cannot be used as an external monitor for another computer and is thus pretty weak for serious desktop performance with the old CPU onboard it has. Also it has to be Hackintosh'ed to have non-OSX dev potential.

This "monitor"/Mac would've been infinitely much cooler, had it had an input for HDMi 2.0 or DP 1.3+ for being used as an external UHD display for laptop/workstations. 5K@60 wouldn't be possible in full 4:4:4 over either DP 1.2a or HDMi 2.0 though, so maybe that's why. And ofc they want people to actually use the Mac as a machine rather than an external monitor in itself. If one can settle for a Mac for dev work or is willing to Hackintosh it, it could be a decent machine if raw CPU is not that much of a concern for one and one can live with the very small 27 inch screen(for using the full 5K without just scaling stuff up to "nicelooking" 1080 mode).

terantek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I'm confused about your comments on DPI scaling. I have a Samsung 28" 4k monitor and have scaling set to 150%. This makes text size slightly bigger than 100% on my old 22" 1080p monitor. In windows 8.1 there are options to go up to 250% which makes text and UI WAY TOO BIG!!!

In my 3 months experience of using this monitor for just about everything I can say that I haven't run into a single UI or text scaling issue in windows itself. Even most 3rd party software has caught up on the scaling. The only issue is that sometimes icons/buttons/web images look horrible because they are low resolution. Oh and Steam... Steam just looks terrible, seems like the whole of steam including text and UI renders at 1080 then upscales.

ShawnT007

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013

lol ur benchmarks are wrong for me... i will be happy to email you screenshots (big files) and benchmarks - im running BF4 MAX EVERYTHING except w/msaax2 (thats all you need in 4k) and getting 70fps-110fps all day online...
Samsung U28D590D monitor, 290x in crossfire, with full custom XSPC liquid cooling, and i7 4770k, 16 gigs 2100mhz, 1300watt PSU (i could keep going).... Every game you listed above i run better than your listed benchmarks.

larsoncc

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Max everything except when it's not. LOL Way to make my point. These are benches from respected sites, including Tom's (check the VGA charts!) running the water cooled 295x2 and directly comparing to 290x crossfire within the same charts. Oh sure, every professional out there is wrong, I'm totally sure. I'm running a similar setup, across three high refresh rate monitors, instead of a 4k. I get that the games function, and I know where your limits are. The 5% speed bump your water cooling loop gives, or that you remember the names of the parts you clicked into place, doesn't invalidate what I've said.

Enjoy your setup, I'm sure it's a fine little computer for now.

ShawnT007

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013

JUST FOR YOU larsoncc - THANKS FOR PLAYING! http://youtu.be/pVuzRyf9atE

Gunbuster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you want to be stuck at 4k 30Hz you might as well get the Seiki 39" At least you can use it as a TV and do 1080P 120Hz gaming. Plus it is cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.