Dell PC -- Are they what they used to be?!?!?!?!!?

I own two Dells, a laptop and a desktop. The desktop is four years
old, and other than a burned out DVD drive, hasn't given me much
problem until now. The laptop also has been pretty good (although it
was a replacement for another that was DOA).

My desktop is now giving me trouble (namely, the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
and the failure of several programs (internet explorer being one) to
operate. When I thought about getting a replacement, naturally I
considered Dell. However, as I began researching models, I saw a
disturbing trend. It seems that many Dell fans are turning against
them for both a reduction in quality of their products, and the severe
turn in the level of service they provide to their customers.
Reseller ratings, which granted is less than scientific, seems to have
them at the bottom of the barrel, and several posts here say the same.

Sooooo..... I have a few questions.

1) What, honestly, is the state of Dell's customer service. Is it so
bad you'd never buy again? Is it marginally worse? Is it a case of
bad experiences outweighing the good on the internet because people
are more likely to post complaints than good experiences?

2) Are Dell computers being built worse than they were before?

3) If not Dell, who? And I'd like to know this from people who are
former Dell owners. I prefer an online or store bought PC, because I
don't know of any locally owned businesses that have a reputation for
building decent PCs. I have priced systems on ibuypower.com,
abspc.com, and of course, Gateway, Sony, HP, Compaq, and IBM.

4) Given the backlash against outsourcing of Customer Service, does
anyone perceive that service is actually improving?

Darren Yatadooet wrote:

> 1) What, honestly, is the state of Dell's customer service. Is it so
> bad you'd never buy again? Is it marginally worse? Is it a case of
> bad experiences outweighing the good on the internet because people
> are more likely to post complaints than good experiences?
>
> 2) Are Dell computers being built worse than they were before?
>
> 3) If not Dell, who? And I'd like to know this from people who are
> former Dell owners. I prefer an online or store bought PC, because I
> don't know of any locally owned businesses that have a reputation for
> building decent PCs. I have priced systems on ibuypower.com,
> abspc.com, and of course, Gateway, Sony, HP, Compaq, and IBM.
>
> 4) Given the backlash against outsourcing of Customer Service, does
> anyone perceive that service is actually improving?

I don't know what it "used to be". I've bought 6 Dell systems in the
past three years for myself and others. Even back then people were
complaining that Dell computers and Dell service wasn't what it used to
be. However with the tech support I needed on two systems and Customer
Care on a third, everything was handled fast and efficiently and in two
of the cases Dell went beyond what they had to do to fix the problem.

Experience with Sony and HP has been worse. But I wouldn't hesitate at
buying an IBM Thinkpad.

Well, be prepared for varied opinions. I will be accused of being a Dell
supporter (which I am, and doesn't seem so bad to me).

To summarize:

1) The products are outstanding. As with any company shipping this volume,
they are not perfect, so problems can occur
2) Service is seriously inferior to what it was 5 years ago, primarily
because the competitive price pressure has forced most machines under $1000.
For that money, they could not afford the level of service previously
provided when most machines were $2000+ (nor can any other vendor)
3) Of the major vendor, Dell's products and service are still tops
4) You will receive a number (I suspect) of very negative comments here.
Take them with a grain of salt, as this is a forum for people with problems.
Very few happy people come here, except those of us that are regulars,
trying to help.

Go for it. I recently purchased a Dimension 2400 (to add to my Dimension
8100, pair of Dimension 4550 models and an Inspiron 2100 laptop).

Tom
"Darren Yatadooet" <googlegroup@cowcope.com> wrote in message
> I own two Dells, a laptop and a desktop. The desktop is four years
> old, and other than a burned out DVD drive, hasn't given me much
> problem until now. The laptop also has been pretty good (although it
> was a replacement for another that was DOA).
>
> My desktop is now giving me trouble (namely, the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
> and the failure of several programs (internet explorer being one) to
> operate. When I thought about getting a replacement, naturally I
> considered Dell. However, as I began researching models, I saw a
> disturbing trend. It seems that many Dell fans are turning against
> them for both a reduction in quality of their products, and the severe
> turn in the level of service they provide to their customers.
> Reseller ratings, which granted is less than scientific, seems to have
> them at the bottom of the barrel, and several posts here say the same.
>
> Sooooo..... I have a few questions.
>
> 1) What, honestly, is the state of Dell's customer service. Is it so
> bad you'd never buy again? Is it marginally worse? Is it a case of
> bad experiences outweighing the good on the internet because people
> are more likely to post complaints than good experiences?
>
> 2) Are Dell computers being built worse than they were before?
>
> 3) If not Dell, who? And I'd like to know this from people who are
> former Dell owners. I prefer an online or store bought PC, because I
> don't know of any locally owned businesses that have a reputation for
> building decent PCs. I have priced systems on ibuypower.com,
> abspc.com, and of course, Gateway, Sony, HP, Compaq, and IBM.
>
> 4) Given the backlash against outsourcing of Customer Service, does
> anyone perceive that service is actually improving?

I agree with Tom. I have 5 Dells in my house right now and I also bought a
Dell for my daughter and her husband. My son has 2 Dell desktops and an
Inspiron laptop at college with him. I have gone through two Dells that I no
longer have.

I buy them for the quality and the fact that they are as inexpensive as any
others. I can't build one as cheaply as I can buy a Dell. If you are buying
a computer based on service, you may look for a long time before you find
something that will suit you.

Are they what they used to be? Better. Is the service the same as it was a
few years ago? Definitely not.

> [...]

> Sooooo..... I have a few questions.
>
> 1) What, honestly, is the state of Dell's customer service. Is it so
> bad you'd never buy again? Is it marginally worse? Is it a case of
> bad experiences outweighing the good on the internet because people
> are more likely to post complaints than good experiences?
>
> 2) Are Dell computers being built worse than they were before?
>
> 3) If not Dell, who? And I'd like to know this from people who are
> former Dell owners. I prefer an online or store bought PC, because I
> don't know of any locally owned businesses that have a reputation for
> building decent PCs. I have priced systems on ibuypower.com,
> abspc.com, and of course, Gateway, Sony, HP, Compaq, and IBM.
>
> 4) Given the backlash against outsourcing of Customer Service, does
> anyone perceive that service is actually improving?

I have been working with PC's since 81 and have always built my own (for a
time had my own PC business).
Recently I needed a PC quick with no time or ambition to gather up the parts
and build my own I ordered a Dell 8300. I did this based on two things,
standard components and the fact my brother had two he has never had
problems with. Well I received it and couldn't be happier. As for the
customer service side, can not give opinion there as have not had to use it.

I debated for a while but am now sitting in front of my 4th personally owned
Dell computer. (The rebate check arrived yesterday.) I could not find
another brand that seemed to offer as much for the money without buying into
other issues. At work, we've only purchased Dells for a couple of years now.
We would now have several thousand at least at our site alone. No system
maker is perfect and price pressures will make even the best cut corners to
reach certain price points. Many people advocate build your own or support a
local "screw driver shop". Unfortunately, economies of scale will have a
major influence on the price worthiness of these options as well as the
overall reputation of that local shop.

Good luck with what ever you decide but it might be helpful to keep in mind
that computers are more like commodities these days than they were 5, 10, 15
years ago. It's more often the OS and the applications that are the cause
of dissatisfaction than hardware issues these days and hardware is easily
changed with many alternate choices ... unless it's a Mac, but that's
another story.

YMMV

I'm perfectly happy with my Dimension 2300 quality wise. My only experience
with Dell customer service was asking advice on how to disable the built-in
video so I could install my own PCI video card. The web-based customer
service responding to my question was fast and accurate.

Paul Riemerman

Darren Yatadooet wrote:
> I own two Dells, a laptop and a desktop. The desktop is four years
> old, and other than a burned out DVD drive, hasn't given me much
> problem until now. The laptop also has been pretty good (although it
> was a replacement for another that was DOA).
>
> My desktop is now giving me trouble (namely, the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
> and the failure of several programs (internet explorer being one) to
> operate. When I thought about getting a replacement, naturally I
> considered Dell. However, as I began researching models, I saw a
> disturbing trend. It seems that many Dell fans are turning against
> them for both a reduction in quality of their products, and the severe
> turn in the level of service they provide to their customers.
> Reseller ratings, which granted is less than scientific, seems to have
> them at the bottom of the barrel, and several posts here say the same.
>
> Sooooo..... I have a few questions.

<<snipped>>

While the questions and concerns are valid, if Dell were not
that good of a company, then it would be disappearing out of
existence. It has survived along with another company with a
good reputation, viz., IBM. As for competitors, E-Machines
has acquired Gateway and Compaq was absorbed into HP, for
examples. We are custom OEM builders but if the client wants
an off-the-shelf system to modify, we choose only Dell. Just
look at how clean and well-designed is the interior of a Dell
right off the assembly line.

The real issue that needs to be addressed are the stop errors
themselves. What OS? What types of Stop errors are reported?
Even with stable OS's such as Windows NT/2000/XP, blue screens
will occur. The causes range from hardware to software; worms,
viruses, trojans, etc.; unsolicited/unsupervised Windows updates,
driver file updates, and so on.

mark

Just bought an 8300 after 6 years of good service out of my old Gateway.
They beat the promised delivery date by about a week. The color on the
monitor (M992) was poor and I had a new one delivered the next day (after
Dell promised 7 days). I did have to go through some useless testing with
Tech Support, but I expected to have to play by their rules for service.
Only had one other (software) problem that I could have probably resolved
here, but wanted to give Dell support another try. Again resolved on the
first call in about 15 minutes. Both tech support calls appeared to be
Indian accent, but no complaints with quality of service or being able to
understand. So far so good as far as I'm concerned. I did buy the Express
Support option ($79) because of the service complaints I've read about.
System appears to be more cheaply made than the old Gateway but the new
Gateways I looked at were also (and it was significantly cheaper for that
matter). Almost bought the Gateway for the Country Store service so good
thing I passed on that. Some of the other HP's and Sony's I looked at
"looked" more solid, but the price was significantly higher and most
articles rated there over all quality, including Tech Support, as
significantly worse. Unless you're willing to build your own, Dell still
seems to be the best game in town for now. Unless you're in a hurry, watch
the offers from Dell. I haven't been able to spec out a system equivalent
to mine for less than $250 more since I bought it.

"Darren Yatadooet" <googlegroup@cowcope.com> wrote in message
> 1) What, honestly, is the state of Dell's customer service. Is it so
> bad you'd never buy again? Is it marginally worse? Is it a case of
> bad experiences outweighing the good on the internet because people
> are more likely to post complaints than good experiences?
>
> 2) Are Dell computers being built worse than they were before?
>
> 3) If not Dell, who?

> My desktop is now giving me trouble (namely, the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
> and the failure of several programs (internet explorer being one) to
> operate

BSODs are often caused by a software problem rather than a hardware
failure. Have you scanned for spyware / malware / used the internet
explorer repair tool etc to see if it helped ?

> Well, be prepared for varied opinions. I will be accused of being a Dell
> supporter (which I am, and doesn't seem so bad to me).

Being in denial about the state that Dell are in is not something you'd
normally expect someone to brag about

> To summarize:
>
> 1) The products are outstanding. As with any company shipping this volume,
> they are not perfect, so problems can occur

I'd disagree with "outstanding" and you've clearly killfiled anyone who
dares to post negative Dell comments otherwise (if you'd read them) you'd
realise it's when "problems occur" that Dell's customer service is found
lacking

> 2) Service is seriously inferior to what it was 5 years ago, primarily
> because the competitive price pressure has forced most machines under
> $1000.
> For that money, they could not afford the level of service previously
> provided when most machines were $2000+ (nor can any other vendor)

Agreed

> 3) Of the major vendor, Dell's products and service are still tops

Biased speculation as per your admission that you're a Dell supporter

> 4) You will receive a number (I suspect) of very negative comments here.
> Take them with a grain of salt, as this is a forum for people with
> problems.
> Very few happy people come here, except those of us that are regulars,
> trying to help.

Why take them with a grain of salt and not at face value Tom? (serious
question btw)

Is the opinion of people who've been rear-ended by Dell any less valid than
those who've had good service? (another serious question)

Or should those of us who *have* been rear-ended start screaming "troll" at
anyone who's been lucky with Dell?

The simple fact is: a company the size of Dell *will* (through business
volume alone) royally shaft hundreds of thousands of consumers every year.

Yes or no Tom?

I'm not going to bother to reply to your specific questions as you're just
trying to start a fight. I did want to comment on one statement though,
because it made me laugh so hard:

"The simple fact is: a company the size of Dell *will* (through business
volume alone) royally shaft hundreds of thousands of consumers every year."

If Dell royally shafted literally hundreds of thousands a year, two things
would happen. First, this newsgroup would have thousands of posts a day of
complaints, not a few a week and two, they would long be out of business.
As for my comment about their being the best, read the following post.

I am surprised that you imply I claim everyone is a troll. I don't. Even
when I think they're position is startlingly unbelievable, I make an attempt
to help. Others may make that claim, not me.

It's particularly interesting that rather than posting your experiences with
Dell, you felt the need to attack me. Certainly makes me believe your
position.

If you re-read my post, I was very clear that I believe Dell's support has
slipped. I do believe, and most studies back me up, that they are still the
top of the heap.

And I like my Dells. So?

Tom

"Glenn Banwell" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> > Well, be prepared for varied opinions. I will be accused of being a
Dell
> > supporter (which I am, and doesn't seem so bad to me).
> >

> Being in denial about the state that Dell are in is not something you'd
> normally expect someone to brag about
>
> > To summarize:
> >
> > 1) The products are outstanding. As with any company shipping this
volume,
> > they are not perfect, so problems can occur
>
> I'd disagree with "outstanding" and you've clearly killfiled anyone who
> dares to post negative Dell comments otherwise (if you'd read them) you'd
> realise it's when "problems occur" that Dell's customer service is found
> lacking
>
> > 2) Service is seriously inferior to what it was 5 years ago, primarily
> > because the competitive price pressure has forced most machines under
> > $1000.
> > For that money, they could not afford the level of service previously
> > provided when most machines were $2000+ (nor can any other vendor)
>
> Agreed
>
> > 3) Of the major vendor, Dell's products and service are still tops
>
> Biased speculation as per your admission that you're a Dell supporter
>
> > 4) You will receive a number (I suspect) of very negative comments here.
> > Take them with a grain of salt, as this is a forum for people with
> > problems.
> > Very few happy people come here, except those of us that are regulars,
> > trying to help.
> >

> Why take them with a grain of salt and not at face value Tom? (serious
> question btw)
>
> Is the opinion of people who've been rear-ended by Dell any less valid
than
> those who've had good service? (another serious question)
>
> Or should those of us who *have* been rear-ended start screaming "troll"
at
> anyone who's been lucky with Dell?
>
> The simple fact is: a company the size of Dell *will* (through business
> volume alone) royally shaft hundreds of thousands of consumers every year.
>
> Yes or no Tom?

acadia

Very well put, Tom. I will probably NOT be getting another Dell but it has
nothing to do with feelings toward Dell, I just want to try something
different. For what its worth, I follow 3 magazines that review the big pc
companies on a yearly basis, Consumer Reports, PC Magazine, and PC World.
All three always have Dell at or near the top for building quality
computers, along with IBM and Apple. But all three magazines have reported
Dell slipping with tech support and customer service after the sale.

--
Have both a nice day and a happy life, Acadia.

Tom Scales wrote:
> And I like my Dells. So?
>
> Tom

I like my Dells too. (Dim4550 home - has given me the most upgrade
headaches - some have been self-inflicted - but I've forgiven it,
DimLxxx and 2 Dim2400 at the office and a XPS T800 that I passed to my
sister). All work great. After many years of constanly crashing local
store built PCs, he finally listened to me and bought a Dell, nary a
problem, my Boss is now very pro-Dell and has 2 at home. If he has paid
for 5 of them the price / value ratio must be pretty darn good.

I've only called tech support twice. 1st time - I don't even remember
why, a while back was perfect. Last time - a few months ago was
pathetic, but I knew what I was getting into and just repeated myself
many, many times until I got what I wanted. My biggest problem, which
took 2 months to resolve was getting them to send me a purolator
envelope for the dead DVD+RW drive.

My first PC was a Compaq. Their service hit and miss - occasionally
brilliant and occasionally clueless and incredibly rude. PC was pretty
good though, still works OK for my brother-in-law. The proprietary
stuff lost me though. I shudder to remember what I went through to get
1) rails for an internal drive and 2) get a 4 drive screws removed with
a very expensive and unique to Compaq screwdriver, so I could move it to
my new Dell.

BTW, all this experience is Dell Canada.

Cynthia

Darren Yatadooet wrote:

> 1) What, honestly, is the state of Dell's customer service. Is it so
> bad you'd never buy again? Is it marginally worse? Is it a case of
> bad experiences outweighing the good on the internet because people
> are more likely to post complaints than good experiences?
>
> 2) Are Dell computers being built worse than they were before?
>
> 3) If not Dell, who? And I'd like to know this from people who are
> former Dell owners. I prefer an online or store bought PC, because I
> don't know of any locally owned businesses that have a reputation for
> building decent PCs. I have priced systems on ibuypower.com,
> abspc.com, and of course, Gateway, Sony, HP, Compaq, and IBM.
>
> 4) Given the backlash against outsourcing of Customer Service, does
> anyone perceive that service is actually improving?

I buy Dell servers, desktops and laptops for various clients, and have done
for years. The quality now is as good as it ever was. Yes, occasionally
parts fail; if the machine is under warranty, I arrange repair or
replacement, and out of warranty I buy whatever is required.

The service of Dell support *has* dropped considerably; to the point where I
now buy my machines with the minimum warranty; I save the money and put it
towards any required repairs. Having said that, I do occasionally have to
contact them. As long as you realise that they are human as well, and are
polite to them and answer the questions, no matter how infuriating they are
to you, you'll get the resolution you need.

In terms of alternatives, I have sites with HP/Compaq desktops and servers
which are very much equal to Dell in terms of performance and stability. IBM
would be nice, but are still too expensive. Sony are expensive and fragile,
with worse service than any other manufactuer in my personal experience.
Gateway are a joke - how can you consider any company a player when they
pull out of entire continents with little notice to end-users (I've just
vetoed a client purchase of eMachines equipment, simply because it's owned
by Gateway).

HTH,

Pete.
Derby.

> I'm not going to bother to reply to your specific questions as you're just
> trying to start a fight.

Actually I wasn't, they were genuine questions.

Flame wars are for bored teenagers.

Then re-read your post. Perhaps you were channeling a bored teenager.

> > I'm not going to bother to reply to your specific questions as you're
just
> > trying to start a fight.
>
> Actually I wasn't, they were genuine questions.
>
> Flame wars are for bored teenagers.

BigJim

Dell is probably a little better than most other companies.
I have a Dell laptop and I like it, the down side is, their support has been
out sourced to India.
If you know a competent person with knowledge about computers, have that
person build you one.
Use good components and your problems will be minimal.
In other words, don't cut corners!

googlegroup@cowcope.com (Darren Yatadooet) wrote:

>I own two Dells, a laptop and a desktop. The desktop is four years
>old, and other than a burned out DVD drive, hasn't given me much
>problem until now. The laptop also has been pretty good (although it
>was a replacement for another that was DOA).
>
>My desktop is now giving me trouble (namely, the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
>and the failure of several programs (internet explorer being one) to
>operate. When I thought about getting a replacement, naturally I
>considered Dell. However, as I began researching models, I saw a
>disturbing trend. It seems that many Dell fans are turning against
>them for both a reduction in quality of their products, and the severe
>turn in the level of service they provide to their customers.
>Reseller ratings, which granted is less than scientific, seems to have
>them at the bottom of the barrel, and several posts here say the same.

Buy from whomever you want to. If they have, or would have, a
dedicated newsgroup like this, I suspect you will/would find
about the same percentage of satisified/shill/however
characterized posts, versus X is a POS company with POS products,
and POS support with any of them that you find here.

Personally, if I hit the lottery so that I could afford one I'd
give

http://www.alienware.com/, or
http://www.pugetsystems.com/gaming.php, or someone similar a
chance by buying one from one of them.

Since it's not likely, I plan on checking Dell first when I need
a new computer, and then Gateway, HP, and whomever to see if they
offer a better price. Dell gets the nod in any tie, because I
know them, and they haven't disappointed me in the seven
computers I/the company I work for have bought, quality or
service.

But if I'll save big bucks by changing, I'll take a chance with
Gateway, HP, whomever.

Better yet, why don't you by a Mac? Every Mac user that's ever
posted on the Usenet - that I have seen - /swears/ that Apple
makes a superior machine, a superior OS, and provides superior
support. How could you pass that kind of feedback up?
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

I'm guessing you are a user who does not need a lot of hand-holding.
It's true customer service if not as good as it used to be. If you
think that will matter to you, consider a custom build.

On 17 Apr 2004 06:13:33 -0700, googlegroup@cowcope.com (Darren
Yatadooet) wrote:

>I own two Dells, a laptop and a desktop. The desktop is four years
>old, and other than a burned out DVD drive, hasn't given me much
>problem until now. The laptop also has been pretty good (although it
>was a replacement for another that was DOA).
>
>My desktop is now giving me trouble (namely, the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
>and the failure of several programs (internet explorer being one) to
>operate. When I thought about getting a replacement, naturally I
>considered Dell. However, as I began researching models, I saw a
>disturbing trend. It seems that many Dell fans are turning against
>them for both a reduction in quality of their products, and the severe
>turn in the level of service they provide to their customers.
>Reseller ratings, which granted is less than scientific, seems to have
>them at the bottom of the barrel, and several posts here say the same.
>
>Sooooo..... I have a few questions.
>
>1) What, honestly, is the state of Dell's customer service. Is it so
>bad you'd never buy again? Is it marginally worse? Is it a case of
>bad experiences outweighing the good on the internet because people
>are more likely to post complaints than good experiences?
>
>2) Are Dell computers being built worse than they were before?
>
>3) If not Dell, who? And I'd like to know this from people who are
>former Dell owners. I prefer an online or store bought PC, because I
>don't know of any locally owned businesses that have a reputation for
>building decent PCs. I have priced systems on ibuypower.com,
>abspc.com, and of course, Gateway, Sony, HP, Compaq, and IBM.
>
>4) Given the backlash against outsourcing of Customer Service, does
>anyone perceive that service is actually improving?

--
Get on the NRA Blacklist: http://www.NRAblacklist.com

russell

You should ask yourself five basic questions when considering a new computer
purchase, ranking them in order of importance to you:

1. What will be the computer's intended use?

2. What is your budget?

3. Is upgradeability (room for growth) important to you?

4. What level of technical support do I need for my level of computer
hardware/software knowledge?

5. Is the prospective manufacturer/builder reputable?

The important thing to consider is that you should end up with a system that
meets your unique needs, not the needs touted in the marketing fluff of the
particular seller. Technology advances rapidly; therefore, when thinking
about what to buy, you should also consider your needs over the next three
to four years on average, as you would for any other "appliance" or
automobile that you'd like to be able to actually keep using for awhile.

When it comes to computers, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. It's not realistic to
expect top-flight performance, reliability and customer support on a minimal
system with a low profit margin. These types of systems are developed,
marketed and sold with "budget buyers" in mind, those who just want a basic
setup in order to join the ranks of the casual computer users who surf the
web, compose e-mail, balance the checkbook and write up a letter or two and
maybe play a game once in a while that doesn't require high-end components.
It's not fair to Dell and other "budget" system builders to expect premium
support and performance if you haven't bought a premium system.

Look at the automobile industry: the Hyundai or Kia owner isn't likely to
get the same level of performance and service from the car and dealership as
a new Lexus or Mercedes owner would justifiably expect to receive. That isn
't to say that the Hyundai/Kia offerings are bad; they're just developed,
marketed and sold with "budget buyers" in mind, those who value a low
initial ticket price for their particular transportation needs more than
future reliability, performance, prestige and service.

Before buying online, check the company's reputation, warranty, return
policy, and support services. An excellent resource for independent,
verifiable consumer reviews for a particular reseller is Reseller Ratings
(http://www.resellerratings.com).

The New Low-End Home System Target Consumer:

Your basic novice or casual user, like Aunt Myrtle, will want something that
she can readily afford on her fixed income that will allow her to finally
e-mail the family, find a new tuna casserole recipe online and maintain her
Quicken/Money retirement income and expenses. She might get interested in
playing a game or two of Solitaire or Blackjack, but she has no interest in
Superhero role-playing in an interactive 3D virtual reality with DTS Digital
7.1 surround sound or editing her own digital video masterpieces. She's
likely been recruited into the computing world by another family member or
friend, and probably has a fairly knowledgeable nephew or niece that can
come by to fix her "broken" computer as a result of downloading some
spam-originated ill-written shareware. Stereotyping? You bet.but you get
the gist of the example. Aunt Myrtle will probably spend $500-$900 on her
computer system, depending on from whom she bought it and the goodies
included in the deal.

The New Mid-Range Home System Target Consumer:

Although a PC can play many roles in the home, most families will be best
served by a mid-range mainstream model. Spending from $1,000 to $1,700
provides a household with enough power to run productivity apps, view and
edit vacation photos, manage MP3s, write and read CD/DVDs and play many of
today's games satisfactorily. The minimal warranty should be OK for this
type of system.

The New Mid-Range Business System Target Consumer:

Graphics and sound are less of a concern for most businesses. They'd want a
system with enough power for multitasking daily office chores, so they'd
configure a system that's heavier on the CPU/memory/hard drive performance e
nd, using the money that they saved by sacrificing the higher-end
graphics/sound options, and maybe springing for a higher-end LCD display
that displays text well. The business client is more apt to select an
extended service warranty, and will probably spend $1,000-$1,700 on average,
plus extended service contracts.

The New High-End/Gaming Rig Target Consumer:

Serious gaming, graphic design, and video editing all normally require a
high-class PC with an equally high price tag. A fast processor, lots of
speedy memory, a top-notch graphics card and digital 24-bit surround sound
card might be foremost on the checklist. If there are plans to transfer and
edit home movies, massive hard drives with RAID striping, FireWire ports,
and fast CD/DVD burner coupled with another optical drive to burn on-the-fly
would be in order. Mr./Ms. Geek might enjoy building his/her own system
from the ground up, or perhaps buy a system from a boutique builder that
specifically targets this type of end user. Either way, the final system
could be anywhere within the larger $1,800-$4,000 price range, depending on
the caliber and number of each component. Warranties and tech support aren'
t as important for this type of consumer, as they often tinker around,
frequently upgrade components and overclock the CPU and memory out of spec
anyway, effectively voiding the CPU/memory manufacturer's warranties.

I'm the owner of one of these smaller "boutique" outfits, and our target
customer is the upper mid-range to high-end/gaming consumer. Our online
pre-configured system options can allow for a system ranging anywhere from
$850-$4,000 or more, with the average sale ringing in at somewhere near the
$2,000 range. We can and have built a few custom "low-end" systems for a
particular customer, but that isn't our target consumer, and I usually
recommend that they look into the entry-level systems that Dell offers.

Dell does an excellent job of building a budget system, and we can't always
get the same components used at the same price, due mainly to the price
leverage they can use in buying up massive quantities of the parts used to
make these babies. Support, upgradeability, performance and reliability are
not foremost on the low-end consumer's mind; they've prioritized the five
questions listed at the beginning of this message, and are going to buy the
system that best fits into that scenario.

Michael Dell's business model from the beginning has always been offering a
PC into the mainstream at the best price possible, and this hasn't changed.
In order to remain competitive in the market, Dell has developed several
systems that can be sold at rock-bottom prices, which necessitates slashing
after-market support expenses. The consumer has spoken, and he generally
wants the most inexpensive computer he can find to do what he needs to
accomplish. You can bet that if the majority of consumers valued higher-end
systems with premium retail components and support, that's what Dell would
be pushing more enthusiastically. Their current higher-end home systems are
more or less afterthoughts, attracting the occasional consumer that
perceives the Dell name as the "best" mainstream manufacturer. Think of
these systems as the equivalent of the Toyota Avalon: the high-end of the
mainstream manufacturer offering, not far in ticket price from the low-end
of the Lexus (upscale Toyota division) luxury manufacturer offering. You
either want a Toyota or a Lexus if you aren't a "budget" consumer.

When it comes to computers, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Prioritize the list
at the beginning of this message, and then do a little research, if so
inclined. OK, I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Respectfully,

Russell Sullivan

http://tastycomputers.com

> I've also run an online virus check, adaware, and the search and
> destroy spyware programs and come up clean.

Did you try the IE repair tool ?

Not sure where it is under XP, but in 98SE its under

programs/accessories/system tools/system information

....under the tools menu / IE repair tool

dan@pugetsystems.com (Dan) wrote:

>> http://www.pugetsystems.com/gaming.php

>Thanks for the referral Ogden! A lot of people tell us our pricing is
>very competitive. Just need to make sure you are comparing apples to
>apples. Some people are better at making an inferior product look
>better. Not our game <g>.
>
>Dan Guay
>http://www.pugetsystems.com

You cut out the part of my post that said

>Personally, if I hit the lottery so that I could afford one I'd
>give ...

;->

But if I /were/ into high-end gaming, and tagging on heavy-duty
graphics work, etc., I'd certainly have to look at and even
budget for a suitable computer, including those found on your
pages. As it is, I'm an old fogey whose game playing days ended
when a table-top, coin-operated "Space Invaders" game beat the
s[tuff] [and $10 in quarters and $30 in beer] out of me; and who
had trouble making even Instamatics behave. So plain-vanilla
Dells [or Gateways, or HP/Compaqs, or ...] are more my speed. ;->