Question Dell Precision 7750 or 7520 Add Webcam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2022
I am considering buying a manufacturer refurbished Dell Precision 7510 or 7520 that comes with no webcam. Does anyone know if it is reliably the case that a webcam may be added without significant expense? Like, does it just require installation of the webcam, a cable, and a new bezel; or might it require installation of a new motherboard, a new graphics card, etc? Buying refurbished means a little hit and miss on exactly what you get so I am trying to find if it is generally the case that I can do this or if it is not reliably the case that I can with the one that gets shipped.

Dec 1, 2022
There are a zillion webcams that clamp on to the monitor and connect via USB.

Trying to recreate a built in webcam on a laptop without one is pointless.

Well I am trying to see if it is possible to do. I travel and like to limit number of cables and accessories I have to tote around. It so happens this is the original reason they made laptops. On Dell's website, to get one with a webcam, I would either pay for the super fast computers I do not need, or the higher priced super new ones that have less cable provisions, would cost more to repair, and are more fragile.

USAFRet

Titan
Well I am trying to see if it is possible to do. I travel and like to limit number of cables and accessories I have to tote around. It so happens this is the original reason they made laptops. On Dell's website, to get one with a webcam, I would either pay for the super fast computers I do not need, or the higher priced super new ones that have less cable provisions, would cost more to repair, and are more fragile.
If it does not come with a built in webcam....

New motherboard
New bezel/screen

Basically, a different laptop.

All 4 laptops I've bought in the last decade had a webcam. From $200-$900.
Asus. Lenovo, Microsoft.

Jan 1, 2023
I am considering buying a manufacturer refurbished Dell Precision 7510 or 7520 that comes with no webcam. Does anyone know if it is reliably the case that a webcam may be added without significant expense? Like, does it just require installation of the webcam, a cable, and a new bezel; or might it require installation of a new motherboard, a new graphics card, etc? Buying refurbished means a little hit and miss on exactly what you get so I am trying to find if it is generally the case that I can do this or if it is not reliably the case that I can with the one that gets shipped.
I just did this very thing on my Dell 7510. I bought a used display assembly complete with webcam on Ebay, replaced my non webcam display assembly with the new one and it worked perfectly. No new display card, no new motherboard and no change of BIOS settings (there's a checkbox to activate the camera, but it was already selected). Be aware however, the task takes a bit of work. To get to the motherboard display connector, you have to remove the keyboard, remove the palm rest and a bunch of little things (wifi module, sdd module, etc.). I can't say I'd recommend it, but it's definitely possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.