Dell Precision M3800, A Macbook Challenger?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvv

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
If they would make the screen 16:10 it might be a decent product. Macbook pro is VASTLY improved for general use by having a 16:10 display instead of 16:9. The difference is pretty big for web browsing and document editing.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Your average Macbook user won't give a flying crap about this as a lot of your Mac user base will always cling to the argument that somehow no matter what we in the PC world do Macs are superior for content creation. Those of us that know better (read non Apple fanboys) understand that we can buy better hardware for the money. I'm loving that 4K display option though 2GB of VRAM seems low for such a high res screen especially for a machine built for CAD and content creation. One would think that someone buying this machine would want AT LEAST 4GB of VRAM for the higher resolution textures and floating point intensive calculations that are required in CAD (Solidworks with the fluid module comes to mind). With that said other than the VRAM issue this looks like a solid Macbook Pro killer

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Flash isn't in jeopardy. It's position on YT might be.

h.264, x.264, (insert strangely named codec here) or whatever Google does with YT mike displace the Flash video compressor on YT.

One of the MISTAKES that THG and pretty much ALL other tech-oriented websites are making is referring to Adobe Flash in terms of a video compressor ONLY, while Flash is a much deeper programming API. Additionally, relying on YT as the only measure of Flash success/failure is ridiculous.

When HTML5 is able to produce content that companies like 2Advanced and derBauer (popular names in webdev you can look up) can make, for free, being completely open standard,.... then ... MAYBE ... the Flash API/plugin can die.

Until this happens, and large companies stop supporting it, Flash won't die.
Nor should it.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
@velocityg4 :

You say 'extended battery pack', but I can assure you - nothing extends / protrudes from the chassis, nor makes the machine bigger in any way - whatsoever. The 91whr battery is still internal to the machine.

And what a lovely machine it is...

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
@ cynic77:

I thought 16GB ECC sodimms were shipping, or shipping soon. Thus you might actually be able to have the 32GB you desire...

Also, I say it can hold a candle to an M4800, especially since many of them ship with the same GPU as the base option.... and oddly, slower 1600MHz RAM too, the 3800 I'm looking at came with 1866MHz as base option.

Aaron Conaway

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
All this pizazz and it has an i7 w 16Gb of ram? Who cares? Laptops have been out that sport an i7 and 32Gb of RAM. I know it's all about the 4K and SSD that comes with, but 16Gb of RAM is so 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.