Question Dell Precision M4700 - Disable DVD-drive (faulty SATA drive) completely (in BIOS)

Jan 27, 2021
Hi!

I've got the following problem / question: The DVD-drive of my Dell Precision M4700 is not working. The LED is always on and I hear a little noise all of the time as soon as the Laptop is charging (not powered on) or powered on. As the DVD-drive didn't load any DVDs (I also tried in a second M4700), I bought a HDD-caddy to use the port for another HDD.

The HDD-caddy also didn't work on this machine, on my second M4700 it worked without problems. Now I wanted to disable the faulty SATA drive in BIOS. I tried all different ports, but none of them, stopped the LED from shining and the DVD-drive from making a little noise all of the time. If I use the HDD-caddy the LED there is also always on. Is there any possiblity to fully disable the faulty SATA drive in BIOS? I already disabled the DVD-drive in Windows.

Kind regards!

Last edited:
Hi!

I've got the following problem / question: The DVD-drive of my Dell Precision M4700 is not working. The LED is always on and I hear a little noise all of the time as soon as the Laptop is on the power adapter (not powered on) or powered on. As the DVD-drive didn't load any DVDs (I also tried in a second M4700), I bought a HDD-caddy to use the port for another HDD.

The HDD-caddy also didn't work on this machine, on my second M4700 it worked without problems. Now I wanted to disable the faulty SATA drive in BIOS. I tried all different ports, but none of them, stopped the LED from shining and the DVD-drive from making a little noise all of the time. If I use the HDD-caddy the LED there is also always on. Is there any possiblity to fully disable the faulty SATA drive in BIOS? I already disabled the DVD-drive in Windows.

Kind regards!
are you running windows 10 or 7

Jan 27, 2021
saddly i dont know much about your systems bios however if you goto the start menu type this pc right click it and slecet manage, then select device manager, and select disk drives, right click the disk drive and disable

I've got the latest BIOS A19 running. I already disabled the drive in the device manager, but the problem also occurs outside Windows and even when the laptop is turned off completely only charging on the power adapter.

...on my second M4700 it worked without problems. ...
I did not suggest removing the SATA interface, since I was under the impression that the DVD drive was in working order.

The tapes I tried, didn't last on the gold contacts. As the drive was defective, I just broke the whole SATA power connection out of it, which has the same effect ;-) Thanks again for the hint!
That will do.

TRENDING THREADS