Dell Precision T3500 adding extra case fans

flogside

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Could someone please tell me how i can add a further two fans to this motherboard. I was hoping to use a pwm splitter for the current 2 fans installed and another for the added two, seeing as there is only two fan ports available. Perfect. Or not, as Dell have 5 pin fan ports and not the standard 4 so these wont work :(

Has anyone got any other ideas and could they point me in the direction to what i need please?!

Solution

flogside,
Probably you could mount a couple of 80-100mm on the back grille to extract heat, and the way to have power is to buy an adapter / splitter that connects to the extra 4-pin Molex- that would be a "Molex to 2X 4-pin", perhaps...

flogside,
Probably you could mount a couple of 80-100mm on the back grille to extract heat, and the way to have power is to buy an adapter / splitter that connects to the extra 4-pin Molex- that would be a "Molex to 2X 4-pin", perhaps:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UB3C30842&cm_re=Molex_to_2X_4-pin-_-2MV-0026-00015-_-Product

> but you need to see what the connectors are on the fans.

. I'm reasonably certain that the motherboard does not support PWM fan control, but there are 5.25" manual front panel fan controllers for $25-35.

When buying case fans, have a look at the noise spec as these will mounted right on the surface. Precisions typically have the fans in shrouds well inside the case to make them quieter.

I've had four Precisions and only one ran quite hot, a dual CPU T5400 and that was mostly due to the extremely hot DDR-2 RAM, plus two 130W CPU's and a 200W Quadro . They are a bit hotter running than current systems, especially with oder GPUS's. My Quadro 4000 (3GB) ran as hot as 105C when rendering, using 142W while the new K4200 (4GB) is 55C and 100W.

What are you using the T3500 for?

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Hp z420 Xeon E5-1660 v2, 32GB, Quadro K4200, Intel 730 480GB /WD Black 1TB

Dell Precision T5500 , Xon X5680, 24GB,Quadro K2200, Samsung 840 / WD RE4 1TB

Solution

flogside

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015

Thanks so much for the reply! I will be using it for gaming, hence the graphics card, and general use. No heavy duty rendering or video editing etc. The GTX 750ti has two fans on it also, so i understand its probably overkill too add two more but i juist wanted to keep it all as cool as possible. I have taken out the original heatsink and have on order the upgraded version (U016F) but will keeping my processor - W3530 - for now anyway.

I bought two 80mm fans and have mounted them in that exact place you said. The fans are 3 pin. Where is this extra molex connector port you mention? Ill happy buy that adaptor if i have a port free to plug it into!! Although looking at these molex adaptors i cant see how an earth my fans would plug into them as it seems completely different??

These are the fans i bought - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arctic-Cooling-F8-80mm-Case-Fans-2000-RPM-AFACO-08000-GBA01-AC-Artic-/181745631675?hash=item2a50e241bb

Thanks again for your reply and help mate!!

flogside,

The uprated cooler with the Copper pipes is a really good idea. I have a Precision 390 and changed the 1.86GHz dual core for a Xeon X3230 2.66 four-core and made the same change.

I had a look at the Arctic Cooling F8 at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186072

> and in the retail box, there's an interesting cable, but more interesting as I don't have a clue what it is- possibly it has some kind of in-line switch. These do use that tiny, tiny three pin connector.

The Molex I'm thinking of (my T5500 has two of them) is a spare power connector for something like an optical drive- you know the one, the bigger white plastic four pin- the pins are set in a little box, are fat and have rounded ends. This kind of adapter is difficult to narrow down, but this is the kind of thing I mean:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evercool-EC-DF003-4-Pin-Molex-PSU-to-2x-12V-3pin-2x-5V-3pin-Fan-Cable-Adapter-/400707002615?hash=item5d4bffa0f7

>Where the idea is to split the Molex into two three pin fan power connectors. This doesn't provide any kind of control, so the auxiliary fans would run all the time. That listing has stupidly expensive shipping, but is the right connector if the T3500 has a free Molex.

Probably, the first thing to do, is to look at the spare power connectors in the T3500. In the T5500, there are two spare 4-pin Molex- they're sort of wired up inside so as not to dangle about- plus there are two four pin egg crate power connectors for extra GPU power. The PCIe slot provides 75W and (I think) each 4=pin adds another 75W. When the T3500 was new, a lot of workstation GPU's were 150W or more and the T5500 and T7500 were rated to use two of them- the T5500 PSU is 875W, T7500 1100W.

The manual is useful:

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-t3500_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

> and there's a list of connectors on Pg 10 / 11, but the best thing is to have a look and find the spare connector- and I think the spare Molex is the best one to use.

Controlling the fan is another problem as Dell designed the cooling control to be more or less tamper proof- I was never able to change any fan settings on any Precision using Speedfan and etc The front panel fan controller is a nice idea, but at $30 average, could pay most of a faster CPU.

Workstations are assumed to be run full speed all the time and the T3500 could have a W3690- 6-core @ 3.47 /3.73 GHz and some were sold with a Quadro 6000 (6GB and $3,800) video editing card that used 225W so I think the stock system would work well with the standard cooling.

The W3530 4-core 2.8 /3.06GHz is a very good CPU- like all the LGA1366, but you might keep an eye out for a good buy on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-W3580-3-33GHz-8M-6-40GT-s-SLBET-CPU-Server-Processor-/301698892068?hash=item463ea7c124

> which is the W3580 4-core at 3.33 /3.6GHz and that's more in the range of modern gaming speed- and only $40-60 these days. If you have $150-200, you can have the W3690 6-core @ 3.47/ 3.73GHz and run Maya to animate and render your own games!The LGA1366 range of CPU's are fantastic. You can buy brand new dual LGA1366 motherboard / case / PSU systems from Supermicro ("Superworkstation") and build a new system using CPU's like the X5690- (6-core @ 3.47 /3.73GHz) that cost $1,650 new, but today are $200-250.

The T3500 was a smart choice- beautifully made, can run forever.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Dell Precisions

390: Xeon X3230, 8GB, Quadro K600, 2X WD 320GB ,
T5400: 2X X5460, 16GB, Quadro FX 4800 2X WD RE4 500GB,
T5500: X5680, 24GB, Quadro K2200, Samsung 840 250GB / WD RE4 1TB

flogside

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Sorry buddy, firstly it was the following fan i got and not the one i linked too -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181745631675?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=kwd-119188563906&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

So no such cable in the boxes, just the 3-pin connectors for these fans. But thanks to your link i think i know what i need now! A splitter for both fans to plug into (3 pin) with a connection to molex?! Does it have to be a 4 pin connection to the molex connector as i have a 2 pin one already that connects to it (unfortunately the other end wont connect to the fans as i bought the wrong cable)

Thanks so much for all the help and info so far, you clearly know your stuff and its a big help. These machines are beasts! Weigh a ton too lol ive never been a massive gamer or anything but just fancied something that could handle them well when i wanted to play! Plus i had a 2tb hard drive sitting around so with the one that came with it ill have 2.5tb of space to put things on. Connect it to the tv or other monitor i have and im good to go :D Will definitely keep an eye out for the W3580 though, if it comes up a good price ill pick one up! But first will see how the W3530 does with the games etc!

Im going to look on some UK based sites for the adaptor and see what i can find! Just waiting on the crucial ballistix RAM to arrive and ill be almost good to go to finally boot it up!!

flogside,

I was trying to find information on the various kinds of spare power connectors in the T3500, but in the end I suppose you'll need to look within and see what is left over. The best candidate is the big Molex 4-pin, as every computer I've had includes a spare one or two and there's a greater variety of adapters to connect to it. They're often used to power optical drives.

Yes, used Dell Precisions are very good value for money- a low price per pound- or in your case a low Pounds per kilo? - and very well made- server reliability really. And very expandable. The RAM is limited to 1333MHz in the Tx500 series and the disk subsystem is 3GB/s, but the RAM is inexpensive and a PERC or LSI PCIe RAID controller can wake up the disks to a 6GB/s I have a PERC H310 ($60) for the T5500 that will do that but have bee too timid to install it- they're fussy things to configure, having their own BIOS.

On the subject of RAM, As you probably know, Precisions were most often sold with ECC and can't be mixed with non-ECC. Older Precisions are fussy about memory. When I added RAM to the Precision 390 I had to buy it three times. The last time, I copied the exact make and model off the modules and bought RAM off Ebay that said it had come out of a 390- and it worked. For the T5500 I bought used Dell RAM of the exact model. By the way, iIn the TX500 is that the RAM is triple channel- the best results are to use RAM in sets of three of identical modules, and follow the sequence of size in the manual.

The T3500 should be reasonable for games- and the GTX 750ti is an excellent GPU choice- although if it uses ECC RAM that has a somewhat higher latency than non-ECC. The W3530 might be surprisingly good if it's not a current very demanding games, but the W3580 is so inexpensive now.

You might have the free trial of Passmark Performance Test and see how your T3500 progresses. I always like to test it as is and then see how much each change improves the scores. I did this with my current HP z420 and the T5500 and it's very helpful, especially as you are always seeing the results as compared to other similar systems.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

flogside

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Yes ive seen one of the connectors and its free to use so have ordered what is, hopefully, the correct cable for it :D

Well i went onto the Crucial website in regards to RAM and looked what would work etc and it recommended NON ECC ram so i went with Crucial Ballistix sport on ebay. Will hopefully work ok and it is good for gaming etc. Good 3x4gb so should be fine as in a set of three.

Like i said, will definitely look to upgrade the cpu in the future and i had already been recommended the W3580 by someone else as an upgrade so what with you saying its good also id be daft not to go with that!! Will see how the W3530 performs first though, it may well suit my needs.....

I always look to sell on what i cant/dont use so sell on value against costs is important to me and the W3530 doesnt sell for much on ebay but we'll see. trying to spend as little as possible on this build and im selling the old graphics card, ram and hopefully the heatsink if it gets any interested buyers!!

Once again your help and knowledge has been invaluable!!!

sailbum

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
A word of caution.
I built-up a T5400 for a local church/TV ministry to record and live stream various services and a regular TV program.
Dual X5470 (120w), eight sticks of memory, one Black Magic capture cards, USB 3.0 card, GTX210 video card and two DVD/RW drives.
Because this unit was occasionally going to be used in warm rooms or areas, I added two medium/high speed fans to the back to increase the flow through.
It ran fine but the video add issues, so I changed to a HD7790 video and they wanted to add another capture card.
The video was fixed but the machine would overheat and shut down.
It turns out the additional fans and the video fan were over powering the power supply fan.
I remove the top DVD drive and air started flowing through the hole like a Hoover vacuum.

The moral of the story is that case cooling is a balancing act between, where are the hot spots, where from and how cooling air, where and how much exhaust air flow.

P.S. I have noticed that Dell gets a little "cage happy" with the design of the plastic shrouds/holders for their intake fans. You can increase air intake volume by chopping away a lot of the redundant plastic grills.