Dell Quietly Releases Touchscreen Studio 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Smudgy fingerprints aside... I really want one of these. Between price/performace and wow factor it seems to have it all. I am sure there are more affordable options out there that may be comparable in performace but I have had many Dell computers in the past and I have been happy with them.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Transmaniacon[/nom]Whats the point of blu-ray without a 1080P resolution screen...?[/citation]
720p...which is still amazingly better than 640x480.

Looks like a cool laptop, but personally I'd rather just build myself a uber-1337 Desktop for the same price and buy a netbook for interwebs..

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]Transmaniacon[/nom]Whats the point of blu-ray without a 1080P resolution screen...?[/citation]
Lots of laptops have blu-ray and a 1600x900 screen.

Oh yeah, and you gotta love those quiet launches. When the product more than lives up to the complete lack of hype, it's better than something that's overhyped and completely flops.

MiamiU

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

blu-ray drives are not only for watching movies, besides you can use the HDMI output and use a bigger screen at home for the full 1080p experience if 720p isnt enough.

counselmancl

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Agreed, at the distance you watch a movie at on a laptop, that resolution would be much appreciated.

But still, its better than no blu-ray.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]MiamiU[/nom]blu-ray drives are not only for watching movies, besides you can use the HDMI output and use a bigger screen at home for the full 1080p experience if 720p isnt enough.[/citation]
Personally, I rip my movies to an external hard drive, then watch them through a netbook which supports 720p HDMI output.

Interestingly, the computer does go up to 1366 by 768 on its 12" screen, but watching HD video on a 12" screen just doesn't work out too well.

pelt0080

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Although I think the laptop has nice specs and unique features I do see a potential design flaw in this product. This is the fact that the computer doesn't seem to have tablet PC functionality. Does the monitor only function vertically? This could create issues with any stylus or added functionality that would be provided via a touch screen. What really is the benefit to having a touch screen without practical application?

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]foody[/nom]This is actually pretty cool. Too bad I'm poor and laptops are expensive.[/citation]

Too bad dell laptops are overpriced ugly pieces of sh!t

G

"Dell Quietly Releases Touchscreen Studio 17"

En ends up with a bang with a "it's crap don't buy that" bang

Dies after a few month when warranty expires

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
on a 17 inch laptop anything less than 1900x1280 is a joke for me, especially with the video card options on the laptop... so I guess I am out for now, oh and is the 8gb limit on the ram a bios bug... technically that thing "should" support up 16gb which is part of the intel spec for the board in that thing.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Ok, so where on on dell's website does it say that it is touch screen, or did it disappear because I configured it with the 1080p display?

COLORS Black Chainlink edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-820QM Quad Core Processor @ 1.73GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 9 edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 3Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit
In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis: for issues covered by Limited Hardware Warranty, technician and/or part will be dispatched, if necessary, usually in 1 or 2 business days following Remote Diagnosis. During Remote Diagnosis, you may be asked to access the inside of your system (where safe to do so) or to participate in troubleshooting until a cause can be isolated.
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 30-Days edit
HD DISPLAY 17.3” Full HD (1080p) B+RG LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera/Facial Recognition SW edit
MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz edit
HARD DRIVE 250GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) edit
WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-card edit
SOUND OPTIONS Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled edit
KEYBOARD Back-lit Keyboard edit
My Accessories

and the price is nice for that $ 2184

paesan

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I saw a link from techbargains but it can't be configured with a core i7 and the monitor option is 900p only. If I go directly to the Dell website I can't find the touchscreen notebook.

paesan

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Software & Services
COLORS Special Edition Black Chainlink with Red Trim edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6600 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 9 edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis - Important Information edit
In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis: for issues covered by Limited Hardware Warranty, technician and/or part will be dispatched, if necessary, usually in 1 or 2 business days following Remote Diagnosis. During Remote Diagnosis, you may be asked to access the inside of your system (where safe to do so) or to participate in troubleshooting until a cause can be isolated.
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months edit
HD DISPLAY 17.3” HD+ (900p) LED Display with TrueLife™, Camera/Facial Recognition SW & MultiTouch edit
MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB SATA HDD (7200rpm) edit
VIDEO CARD 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) edit
BATTERY OPTIONS 56 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell) edit
WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card edit
SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0 edit
KEYBOARD Back-lit Keyboard edit

Price $1174

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts