Dell Ram Compatibility

Solution
Yes. You will be fine. Dell RAM is pretty generic (usually samsung or Hynix basic ram) but is just as good as normal crucial which we put in our dell systems as they tend to be a lot more stable than the highee end stuff.
Yes. You will be fine. Dell RAM is pretty generic (usually samsung or Hynix basic ram) but is just as good as normal crucial which we put in our dell systems as they tend to be a lot more stable than the highee end stuff.

Solution

Obey_2

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

Thank you so much!
I was afraid because in the site it says:
Compatibility with only dell desktops.

Ha no that is BS.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Even as proprietary as Dell can get at times, there's still some things that absolutely won't be changed and will remain industry standard. Ram being one. You can use Dell branded ram on another mobo, or other ram on a Dell mobo, it's all just ram.

Dells often require Low Density RAM. I don't know about DDR4 but this was true for DDR2,DDR3 systems.
A 2GB module of Low density would be described as 256x64, High Density would be 128x128. Some chipsets, or BIOS won't read the memory address tables of the newer High Density RAM. Maybe DDR4 is actually standardized. But this issue migrated from DDR2 to DDR3. Usually the issue is with a Dell not accepting some RAM modules due to this. But I can't give you a specific answer for an unknown MSI board.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That was Intel, not just Dell, on the old lga775 mobo's. AMD could use high density, which uses 8x256Mb IC's single side vrs the 16x128Mb IC's 2Gb ram for low density. The biggest issue was slot compatability with addressing, you could use a double side, low density, 4Gb ram module, but that was it. If you wanted 8Gb you had to use 4x2Gb sticks. All that was changed in lga1156/1366 and hasn't been an issue since, afaik. Now ram is ram.

Thanks for updating me. The only thing that I see as not totally correct is I'm running 8GB DDR3 Low density 2x4GB on an LGA775 Dell Optiplex 380. No official support for this. But with 2x RAM slots it was that or the dumpster. Maybe at one time there were no 4GB low density modules available.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To get 4Gb low density, you'd usually be running an EEC capable setup, dual Xeons etc. With windows 32bit (back in those days) stuck at 3.5Gb usable, running anything more than 4Gb was pointless. Most users running higher amounts were using Linux (or other than MS Windows OS) and using it in more professional type ways than just regular home use/gaming pc's. Windows didn't break into 64bit and expanded ram capability until WinXP (Longhorn) and even that was rare. Vista was OK, if buggy, but it was only with Win7 and DX 10/11 that gamers really started pushing 8Gb of ram as a norm, and by 8.1 recommended ram was up to 16Gb, 4Gb min, 8Gb acceptable. For me and many others, you really have to be building an uber-budget, non-gpu type pc to get an 8Gb recommendation now, it's 16Gb or go home.

$20 Dell Opti 380, $20 Q9505S, GTX1050Ti, Win 7-64. Yes i agree that 16 GB would be better. So yes Uber budget and just for fun. This isn't any kind of maximum effort at all. In fact it was what appeared to be the worst Optiplex you could start with. Originally only 2 core CPUs, and 4 GB RAM limit. But at userbenchmark.com I saw one running 8GB RAM, another a 120W Xeon X5460, and another with a GTX1050Ti. So I decided to do all 3 things at once. I haven't done the Xeon swap yet. I want to OC the Q9505S first in case it needs a modded BIOS for the Xeon. Just about any Opti can run 3GHz 4 core CPU, and GTX1050Ti with 8GB RAM. Only a few can be overclocked very much. This might be one of them. But LGA775 is just about EOL now as far as gaming goes. Even 4GHz Overclocks are wearing thin. And GPU prices have put a stop to the budget aspect of it anyway. X58 LGA1366 looks to be the sweet spot for budget builds now.

The Opti 380 is known to work with X5460. Of course that's not good enough for me, so X5470 it's going to be. But if I can master the lost art of Voltage pinmodding I think the Q9505S will be the winner. Starting with a 65W CPU on a MB that supports 120W Xeons should be fun. I know in the world of modern gaming it won't add up to much. I'm actually using it as my web computer right now. I have to build another computer before i can play with it again.

TRENDING THREADS